Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Vee Tee
Beginner April 2012

Overweight and Scared of trying on dresses

Vee Tee, 21 August, 2011 at 15:14

Posted on Planning 39

I am so looking forward to getting my wedding dress and seeing how it looks etc, but I am absolutely terrified of trying on dresses and ordering my dress in my size because of my weight. I got engaged in April 2010 and since then I lost almost 4 stone, but its not enough...not nearly enough, then to...

I am so looking forward to getting my wedding dress and seeing how it looks etc, but I am absolutely terrified of trying on dresses and ordering my dress in my size because of my weight.

I got engaged in April 2010 and since then I lost almost 4 stone, but its not enough...not nearly enough, then to top it off I went on holiday and put about a stone back on. Now I have half a stone to lose to get back to the preholiday weight, and I have suddenly found myself with 7 months 3 weeks to my wedding and only 6 weeks to the date that I vowed to place my order (online with custom sizes) I am terrified to try on stuff. I can't even stick to my diet anymore I have gone way off track and am gutted with myself cos you would think the pressure I've put on myself with the 6 weeks to go thing would make me starve myself but NO I eat like a freakin horse!!! in fact no even horses eat healthy. Smiley sad

39 replies

• Tracey86
    Beginner October 2012
    Tracey86 ·
    • Hide content

Well done on quitting smoking too!

It is crazy but believable!

I always say to my Mum and to any critics that as much as I know I need to loose weight for my health as much as anything else that I don't drink, I don't smoke, I don't do drugs, food is my only weakness and if I've had a bad day at work whereas some people would chain smoke their way through the day or grab a bottle of wine at the end of it, then I reach for the chocolate or the ice cream. Sad but true.

I'm not proud of it though and I am not making excuses!

x

• I
    Beginner January 1999
    irrelephant ·
    • Hide content

Charliebird i think I tried that dress on yesterday. Its lovely and flattering and looks fantastic on you! I love the strap you've added and demonstrates my point perfectly that you can add stuff to the dresses.

VixJ, well done on quitting smoking. And sometimes dieting, zumba etc is needed but you shouldn't feel the need to be a size 0 on your wedding day, you should be curvy and beautiful if thats how you've always been.

I really hope you find something now, can't wait to see flashes!

• K
    Beginner October 2011
    karen945 ·
    • Hide content

VixJ, well done on the weight loss.

I'm a M&S size 20-22, and my Roland Joyce dress has a 24 label in it.... no-one except me and my MOH are going to see it. It fits lovely. Its the Bridesmaid dress style 29638. I've got it in the passion purple and I feel like a princess in it. I can't wait to wear it on the day. Only 48 days to go!

• Vee Tee
    Beginner April 2012
    Vee Tee ·
    • Hide content

Aww that dress is beautiful karen, i just had a wee google. i can imagine a purple being absolutely stunning! not long to go you lucky thing!!

• CarolineBride
    Dedicated August 2013
    CarolineBride ·
    • Hide content

Ha I've just been told I might be too small for the sale rail dresses! The email literally came through this morning.

I'd emailed the Castleford shop a couple of you lovely ladies have recommended (good to know) and asked if a curvy 16 might be likely to find things on the sale rail (as opposed to the 10s and 12s elsewhere). But after your comments I now feel I need to go and check it out.

Having said that, when I tried on my favourite dress in a 12 (the back looked hideous as it was a long way from meeting), the front looked amazing and definitely showed me whet it could look like. And with a bit of a veil draped on my shoulders to see the effect of added straps, I was hooked - shame about the price tag at £1600, hence I'm still looking.

Great advice on here though, and yes I too will be having a bodice top laced in at the back, otherwise the dress will go out for my bust then fall straight down like a rectangle. Gotta celebrate the hourglass ?

• CarolineBride
    Dedicated August 2013
    CarolineBride ·
    • Hide content

In case the 'too small' didn't make sense - they said they have a wide range of dresses and many might be too big rather than too small like at other shops.

Why on earth doesn't some designer buck the trend and resize their dresses, so that we either order the true size, or even a smaller number than normal. Phychologically so many people would feel so much better for it!

• K
    Beginner October 2011
    karen945 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you. ? I've had a small modification made on the cleavage. We've put a piece of the wrap in as a modesty panel, as I don't want to be giving my dad and uncles too much to look at!

Why don't dress designers realise that you cant just expand a pattern up from a 10 to a 24 without changing the cut of the outfit?

6 weeks today I'll be married... eek!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics