Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

Owl ring-bearer?! **FLASHES**

8 August, 2012 at 18:50 Posted on Planning 0 56

So..... has anyone ever had one of these? Or any thoughts on the idea?

We are getting married in a 16th century tithe barn,

and I think having a barn owl deliver the rings would be great. However, my Maid of Honour thinks I'll have bird-phobic guests (including my mum!) screaming and ducking!! : )

What do you think of the idea?

56 replies

Latest activity by Chickster, 11 August, 2012 at 17:17
  • Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content

Never heard of it!

In my honest opinion unless birds / owls are your thing and have meaning I would feel like it was just for show if that makes sense? (although what part of a wedding isnt....?)!

But on the other hand its your day and your call so do whatever makes it special for you & your h2b!

• I
    Beginner January 1999
    irrelephant ·
    • Hide content

I really really wanted to do this but we couldn't afford it. If we had the money I would be booking it in a heartbeat!

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

I like birds but really not a fan of this I'm afraid.

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

Far more interesting than the same old generic wedding stuff Smiley smile
    Anything with a bit of personality gets a thumbs up from me!

Make sure you have a look into how its actually done though. It could well be the kind of thing that sounds amazing in theory- an owl swooping in with the rings and it all being very WOW and romantic...but the reality may be a strange man standing at the front of your ceremony and a bird just flapping in with an awkward fumble to actually get the rings off of the bird.

Have a proper look into it if you haven't already and plan the practicalities around your venue.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Not if you paid me. Not scared or owt, it just falls into a category that includes dove releases and dogs in waistcoats.

• Figs
    Beginner June 2012
    Figs ·
    • Hide content

Not a fan, sorry.

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

Not my thing at all, I'm afraid. It's not what owls are designed to do, and as PavonePhotography says, it might not work out as well as you imagine. Plus what if it poos on someone?

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

Yea animals at weddings are a big no no for me too, but if that's what you want go for it!

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This.

• xlovebirdsx
    Beginner August 2012
    xlovebirdsx ·
    • Hide content

I wouldnt like the rings to be strapped to an animal that could fly away!

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

There's a venue in Yorkshire that does it and I've watched them train the owl - it's good how they do it but I would be scared they would either drop or swallow the ring! Not really a fan of owls and it would freak me out a bit if one flew in and I didn't know anything about it - if I were a guest that is. It's also a bit Harry Potterish too.

• C
    Beginner September 2013
    Caraboo ·
    • Hide content

I think it's awesome! I'm not a fan of birds, but this screams something different and I would LOVE it! I think people often scream "what if someone's afraid/allergic?!" too quickly. I think you know your guests best and if you think they'd all be OK with it, and go "wow" rather than "GAAAAAGHHH!" then I'd look into it. As people have said, the practicalities are something to investigate, but if it says "wow factor" to you, then just remember this is your wedding (so screw everyone else tee hee!) ?

• Vanilla Pod
    Beginner September 2011
    Vanilla Pod ·
    • Hide content

I think its a bit tacky. Sorry.

• clarehj
    Beginner April 2012
    clarehj ·
    • Hide content

Ha I think it's a great idea - I'm all for anything that's abit different!

People will remember it!

• ~Peanut~
    Beginner December 2012
    ~Peanut~ ·
    • Hide content

Another one who finds it a bit tacky, sorry.

• R
    roseofsharon ·
    • Hide content

It's one of those ideas that sounds good in theory but has a lot of potential pitfalls. One is screaming bird-phobic guests, two is the owl could fly away with your ring! I know someone (not personally) who has a trained owl (because it lived with them for years.) That's the only way I think it's okay since the bird is already a 'family member' or is already like family (Promise Phan, the makeup artist, if you know her, is the one i'm talking about.) But if you really want a bird involved, maybe don't have it fly at least..? Just to eliminate problem number one (screaming guests.) Then again it would kid of defeat the purpose..

• Zoomo13
    Beginner August 2015
    Zoomo13 ·
    • Hide content

I like it but then again i love owls.

if you like it then do it dont worry about wha other people will think or do, its your day. also the owls wont fly around everyones head all they will do is fly straight down the aisle so i doubt there would be any screaming.

GO FOR IT - its your wedding day

• kyanya
    Beginner June 2013
    kyanya ·
    • Hide content

I can't believe so many people think its a no-go - I think it's a lovely idea, and would completely love to be a guest at a wedding where that happened! It'll definitely be memorable and I'm sure that'll be for the right reasons - the birds are well-trained, they'll fly straight to the gloved fist, so unless guests are standing in the aisle or right next to groom/best man (whoever the owl is going to fly to) then it won't affect them, unless there's some serious phobias going on. Plus, look at the faces of everyone in that flash - whoever doesn't break in to a grin at the sight of a beautiful barn owl gliding down the aisle has something wrong with them, as far as I'm concerned!

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'd be more likely to roll my eyes I'm afraid.

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

Goodness, whatever next... dogs giving the best man speech?

• kyanya
    Beginner June 2013
    kyanya ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Well I hope there's no-one rolling their eyes at my wedding, even if there's details that they wouldn't have the same for their wedding day. Live and let live and all that

• BertB
    Beginner July 2013
    BertB ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

?

• clarediston
    clarediston ·
    • Hide content

I think it's great! Everyone would remember it, that's for sure Smiley smile Of course, a big old glove won't really go with a wedding dress...

• bliss_balloons
    bliss_balloons ·
    • Hide content

I love this idea! I don't think it's tacky if you really like owls it's only tacky if you're just doing it for show.

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

What does the best man do, if he doesn't give the rings to the vicar? Just stand there like a lemon?

• kyanya
    Beginner June 2013
    kyanya ·
    • Hide content

It looks like the owl's flying to the best man in the flash, then best man can take the rings from the bird to give to the vicar

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

I have a genuine bird phobia so I would probably make some loud involuntary noise at the sight of this, either that or run out. Also, what happens if it poos?? I'm assuming they can't train it not to do that

• T
    Beginner July 2012
    Thursday Bride ·
    • Hide content

I love owls but wouldn't have wanted this at my wedding as not all the guests would have appreciated it

I did fly a hawk, eagle and owl on my mini-moon in North Yorkshire and it was amazing so I can understand the appeal of it

• Lynseys Designs
    Beginner
    Lynseys Designs ·
    • Hide content

Taking out the issue of using a bird for an unnatural thing which I do have issues about......this would have been my one guilty pleasure if our wedding had suited it/had the right sort of theme/right venue etc.

I've exhibited next to owl ring bearers and know for a fact those owls were treated with the upmost care and treated like any family member would be so it wasn't cruel.

Having doves or butterflies at your wedding is totally different because they are kept in a box for potentially hours and chucked in the air.

It's always been something that Hitched users have very different opinions on and you can never please everyone so some guests will love it and others will hate it.

• MrsA2B2014
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsA2B2014 ·
    • Hide content

Birds petrify me to the point of vomiting, particularly if in flight. This would definitely not be for me. I don't really think it's particularly tacky just scary lol

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

A bit too close to pigeon lobbing for me I'm afraid.

• (Claire)
    Beginner July 2011
    (Claire) ·
    • Hide content

I dont know how something as beautiful as an owl can be regarded as tacky.

Is it for me, no - would I be impressed to witness an owl ring bearer? yes.

If you feel strongly that it's something you want, then go for it. What does your OH think?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics