Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

Owl ring-bearer?! **FLASHES**

8 August, 2012 at 18:50

Posted on Planning 56

So..... has anyone ever had one of these? Or any thoughts on the idea? We are getting married in a 16th century tithe barn, and I think having a barn owl deliver the rings would be great. However, my Maid of Honour thinks I'll have bird-phobic guests (including my mum!) screaming and ducking!! : )...

So..... has anyone ever had one of these? Or any thoughts on the idea?

We are getting married in a 16th century tithe barn,

and I think having a barn owl deliver the rings would be great. However, my Maid of Honour thinks I'll have bird-phobic guests (including my mum!) screaming and ducking!! : )

What do you think of the idea?

56 replies

• Lynseys Designs
    Beginner
    Lynseys Designs ·
    • Hide content

If I could have had an orangutan (I'm OBSESSED by them) bring in our rings I wouldn't have given a stuff who would have been scared of them!

Obviously I wouldn't have done this for the fact that an orangutan walking down the aisle is 100% unnatural so that would have broken my heart but you know what I mean! lol

• SaSaSi
    Beginner July 2012
    SaSaSi ·
    • Hide content

I am one of those who had a dove release and I also had a mini bridesmaid dress made for my dog so I am a fan of having animals included in your special day if they are your thing. Obviously there are guidelines etc but I dont think putting my dog in dress for 20 mins for some fun pictures scared her for life - infact she loved the attention!

My only concern would be them droping the rings!

I dont see things like this as showy - its all about reflecting you & your OH's personality on your one big day. If your guests think it showy or whatever they maybe dont you know very well IMO.

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

For the record, I don't think it's tacky or cruel, I just really don't like the idea of someone other than the best man having hold of my ring!

I think that if it's something you and your OH want to do then what people on here think shouldn't influence you at all...it's your day, after all!

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

If it makes you feel any better, I wouldn't do it so anyone saw. Smiley winking

I obviously wouldn't actually roll my eyes - I just said I'd be more likely to do that than grin!

but I'm not a fan of animals at weddings full stop. (exceptions may be made for family pets).

• Alreadymarried
    Alreadymarried ·
    • Hide content

I think it's a bit cringey to be honest. And not that original, I know several people who were considering it. One friend did it and the owl flew off into the rafters. They had to wait til it came back down to continue the ceremony.

• clarehj
    Beginner April 2012
    clarehj ·
    • Hide content

If you really want it screw all your guests and have it! They will get over it! I think given you are partial to birdies you would regret not having it!

x

• SingleNoMore
    Beginner April 2013
    SingleNoMore ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ah but what about OWLS In waistcoats?

• R
    Expert June 2024
    rachel2012 ·
    • Hide content

Cant say I would do it, short of the fact that my mum is scared of birds (im not so keen on them myself really) the church we are getting married in is lit by candles only so the fire hazard alone is enough for me to say no! On the other hand if it means that much to you I would be seriously consider it, if your that worried about your guests reactions you could always put a little note in the invite just to warn people and they can nip out if needs be. x

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Not to wade in with my size 3's and make people hate me any more than they already do, but I honestly couldn't understand anyone wanting an owl in their ceremony more than they'd want a family member or friend there.

But OP, if you think your guests would like it, and you'd like it then what do our opinions matter? Have what you want to have Smiley smile

• 3d jewellery
    3d jewellery ·
    • Hide content

I'm not keen on the idea of them swooping down the aisle, however with your venue and your love of birds couldn't you have them outside for people to see and to have your photograph taken with?

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'll join you with my size 6's!

We all have opinions on here, it would be a very dull place if everyone agreed all the time.

Have what you want to have.

• F
    Beginner September 2012
    Fawny ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

We went to a wedding at Peckfortaton Castle last year & they had an owl swoop down the aisle with the rings, it was great everyone loved it we thought it was a lovely thing. I said to H2B that i'd have that if we were getting wed here. They also had a brids of prey display for an hour before the meal it was really interesting & everyone said how different the day had been.

• S
    Beginner August 2012
    Spookle ·
    • Hide content

We looked at this but we have a few bird phobics so decided against it

• tortoise
    tortoise ·
    • Hide content

I, personally, wouldn't really be worried about scaring people as you canw arn them and they can just shut their eyes or hide under their coat etc. It's your wedding, do what you want and what makes you happy. I woud however be extremely worried about it pooping on me and smelling of owl poop for the rest of the day ?

• Scrumptious Make Up (HIB)
    Scrumptious Make Up (HIB) ·
    • Hide content

My cousin got married and had an owl deliver her ring.

I thought it was amazing and a huge hit with the guests. Some people even had turns to put the glove on and let the owl sit on it for photos. I loved it. :-)

• *Nursey*
    Beginner May 2012
    *Nursey* ·
    • Hide content

I think it depends on how much it reflects you as a couple.

For example, I vaguely remember a Hitcher who worked with owls/animals and had this at her wedding, and therefore it completely made sense.

If your house was decorated with fluffy/ceramic owls and your family and friends knew you were crazy about them, then it again would make sense. But I personally think it would be a bit randomly showing off if it seemed disconnected with the actual day.

My opinion is the same for a lot of things. I like weddings to be either classic/romantic or reflecting the couple/personalised. It annoys me when people use VW Campervans as wedding cars because they are "cool", rather than because they reflect the feel/style of the day (Eg Mini's wedding) or the couple's interests (Eg our wedding!)

• Chickster
    Beginner August 2013
    Chickster ·
    • Hide content

I think it's awesome! It's so differnt from the usual boring 'ring on a pillow' or 'ring in a casket'. I would love to see this at a wedding if I was a guest, and would remember your wedding forever! I don't think it's at all tacky.

If the bird is a well-trained professional, I don't really see what the problem is! Especially if the bird is taken away after the rings have been removed from the fastening on the owl. Why don't you ask to see a DVD of it before you make a decision just to reassure yourself that the bird is well trained?

x x C x x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics