Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

Oxfam bridal

31 August, 2011 at 16:22 Posted on Planning 0 6

Hi!

I was wondering if anybody has visited any of the Oxfam bridal shops and, if so, what this experience was like? Due to a very small budget i'm thinking of getting a second hand dress rather than brand new and i like the idea that the money is going to a good cause. I was just wondering if anybody has bought from one of these and whether it was a good or bad experience? The closest shop to me is about 3 hours away so i want to get an idea of whether or not the journey would be worth it.

Thanks!

6 replies

Latest activity by MNooty, 31 August, 2011 at 20:35
  • judeclarke
    Beginner October 2011
    judeclarke ·
    • Hide content

Personally I wouldn't shop at Oxfam - purely ethical/political though.

With any second hand dresses you have to rely on them having something that is your size and a style you like. But if you make a day of it - go out for lunch, visit a friends, add in something else to your day - it may be worth a trip (if you're OK with Oxfam's policies)

• B
    Beginner October 2011
    BridePea ·
    • Hide content

Hello - don't be nervous, nervousbride!

I have only been to the one in Cambridge and it is fairly dismal to be honest. They did have a lot of dresses, but mostly in size 14 and up. A lot of the stock they had was grubby and could have done with cleaning. I didn't find anything to my taste at all but that might just be me. Might be worth looking at if you are in the area and can look with an open mind and perhaps a creative eye?

Having said that, my sister in law found a lovely dress from the one she visited (must have been one of the ones in the South East or near London) so do not write them off as a possibility!

• cookiekat
    Beginner August 2012
    cookiekat ·
    • Hide content

Have you looked on ebay and Preloved, they both sell secondhand dresses

• H
    Beginner October 2011
    happycamper ·
    • Hide content

I went to one - I asked for opinions beforehand too, here's the topic I started:

https://www.hitched.co.uk/chat/forums/t/238672.aspx

• jen_84
    Beginner August 2012
    jen_84 ·
    • Hide content

Like BridePea, I tried the Cambridge one and was really disappointed so I wouldn't bother with that one! Don't write the other ones off though!

• M
    Beginner July 2012
    MNooty ·
    • Hide content

Hello!

My sister got a fabulous Pronovias dress at Oxfam bridal Southampton 4-5 years ago for an excellent price (like a tenth of its original). When we went the lady there was really great, and they had a large selection of great dresses. Now that I am getting married I have been to the Southampton one a further two times, the quality is well down, and there was very little difference in the stock between the two times I have been. I assume that the really nice dresses fly out the door, but it was a shame to see so many the same. The dresses aren't all 80s monstrosities if that is what you are worried about, you will see designers you recognise ones that come to mind are Ian Stuart, Maggie Sottero and Pronovias. You will find that many have been altered way out of their original shape though! Someone said something about sizes, I'd agree most are size 12 or 14 but that is not that unusual for sample dresses. They had ones 8 to (at least 18) when I was there.

The people have always been nice and it is not a luxurious feel to a day, but you're trying on princess dresses, it can't feel too bad! Also great place to try on many different styles to get an idea of shape / style even if you don't find 'the one'.

Good luck!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics