Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner May 2013

Oyster and ivory dress- white flowers?

Limpy loo, 23 July, 2012 at 18:30 Posted on Planning 0 7

I have just ordered my dress (very exciting!!!!!) and am now thinking abut flowers. The dress is oyster underneath with a lace ivory overlay (Essence D1158) We are having a spring wedding and I have always loved daisies and really wanted a simple posy of something like ox-eye daisies for my flowers. Do you think they would work with the colouring of the dress? Don't know if you have to have a white dress to have white flowers or am I being a bit bonkers?

7 replies

Latest activity by Limpy loo, 24 July, 2012 at 19:17
  • *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content

Lovely dress!

Honestly, although I think white flowers would be fine, you might need another colour to break it up a bit.

What colour are your BM's having?

• L
    Beginner May 2013
    Limpy loo ·
    • Hide content

I was hoping the yellow centres of the daisies with maybe a bit of greenery with the flowers would be enough.

Haven't got as far as BMs yet! I'm sure I am focusing on things in the wrong order! I do love the idea of black dresses for BMs but in a floaty material with maybe a yellow pashmina to brighten it up. Might still be a bit dark for spring though. They are both larger ladies so I know they would prefer darker rather than lighter. I think they might kill me if I put them all in yellow!

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content

Hmmm...you're probably better off waiting to see an opinion from one of the HIBs as I don't know that mich about flowers.

Personally I think your dress would look better with a more formal flower, like lots of pale pastel roses, as it's quite dressy, if that makes sense. I'm fixed on having sunflowers as my flowers (for sentimental reasons) and so I'm considering this when I'm picking a dress.

People with more flower knowledge will probably come along in a minute and make me feel very silly though!

• L
    Beginner May 2013
    Limpy loo ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the help- others opinions always help me look at things from different angles

x

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

Fabulous dress and very elegant and classy. A couple of things worth considering.... Ox-eye daisy is classed as a wildflower and generally flowers in Summertime so chances are, your florist would have problems getting hold of any for you in Spring. Wildflowers are generally not available for commercial use (i.e., wholesale flower markets) as a lot of them are protected species too. Commercial alternatives would be gerbera or chrysanthemum which is very similar.

The other point is the style of your dress dictates towards elegant, luxury flowers such as orchids, roses etc. Personally, and this is only my professional opinion, I think that a country style flower would 'cheapen' the look of your dress - a bit like wearing casual summer sandals with a designer business suit. Oyster and lace is a classic, vintage, romantic look and would look amazing with David Austin Roses or orchids in pastel shades with delicate foliage. Obviously, you can have whatever flowers you like as it's your day as long as the flowers are available but daisies wouldn't be something I would recommend having with a dress as fantastic as yours Smiley smile and I mean that in the nicest possible way ?

• 3d jewellery
    3d jewellery ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This or peonies

• 2b_MrsB
    Beginner June 2013
    2b_MrsB ·
    • Hide content

LOVE your dress it is stunning , I think softer looking flowers would be more suited it the style of it though and would add to the romantic look of your dress.

• L
    Beginner May 2013
    Limpy loo ·
    • Hide content

Thankyou ladies, that has given me something to think about. I'm not a big fan of roses so would probably be looking at one of the other options. I think I need to do some serious googling to get some more ideas- will def look a bit more at peonies and orchids. Thanks for the compliments on the dress- I didn't really believe 'the one' feeling existed till I put it on!! Totally blew the budget but hey ho!!!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics