Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Tray1980
Beginner July 2013

Packed Lunch Ideas

Tray1980, 21 August, 2012 at 14:45 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 16

Bit of a boring one - Little Mr T is starting secondary in 2 weeks and has to have packed lunches (really short lunch break combined with expensive school lunches = packed lunch). Anyway I'm a bit of a loss for inspiration, so got any ideas? It can be hot or cold (He has a thermos lunch pot + a lunch box), hes not a fan of red onion, mushrooms or tuna, but open to suggestions for most other things.

Anyway, I'd appreciate any suggestions, thank!

16 replies

Latest activity by RebTheEck, 21 August, 2012 at 22:34
  • Rod
    Beginner
    Rod ·
    • Hide content

Aside from the usual sandwiches and wraps, I like having cous cous with all manner of veg thrown in. you could do him pasta with pesto and chicken, thats filling and healthy. how about soups in the thermos? Or leftovers from dinner? I had leftover rice with chorizop and veggies in for lunch today - and yoghurt.

• Rizzo
    Beginner July 2011
    Rizzo ·
    • Hide content

Mine have a drink, sandwich, fruit, cheese or yoghurt, crisps and something sweet.

Pretty much standard from what I've seen.

• Tizzie
    Beginner June 2012
    Tizzie ·
    • Hide content

I like making fusilli pasta with chopped up peppers, sweet corn and onion with chicken and bacon and some honey mustard dressing. It's yummy!!

Also my H likes homemade soup in a flask with some bread.

Does he like white onion? In the winter I used to made chopped up peppers, red and white onion and sweetcorn and fry them (we had an actifry so it was healthy!) and let it cool, put a spoonful of spreadable cheese and heat in the microwave at work (also works in thoses flasks though) The cheese melts and makes it all goey and yummy!!

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Nothing wrong with this. Plus, if you give him sandwiches, he can swap with mates (not sure he'll have much bargaining power with cous cous).

• Rizzo
    Beginner July 2011
    Rizzo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Also with what he has for lunch, it makes it easier for him to eat when he's walking round the school, playing football or at a student cabinet meeting. He very rarely eats in the canteen.

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I want my lunches for school (work) made for me!

Today I had the worst cous couc in the world. Im still sad about it.

• Missus S
    Missus S ·
    • Hide content

I'm boring and I'd just do the same as I do for H- sarnie, fruit, yogurt, banana muffin, crisps

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Just asked Boy what he took for lunch - sandwiches (potted meat filling), crisps, fruit. He reckons if his Mam had given him pasta salad, he'd have been beaten up.

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Whats this?

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Imagine reclaimed meat (scraped off the factory floor) pasted with loads of salt and sold in little jars. You can buy it in supermarkets, in the jam aisle. It's like a really really cheap and disgusting pate. In mitigation, Boy says his was homemade by the butcher, so marginally better maybe. I used to have it as well, in beef and crab flavours.

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh Paste!

The worst one is the crab paste which often has sharp bits in it. I image claws, shells or similar. Urgh- my mum used to out it in my sandwiches.

Even worse- my dad frequently trots of to work with Brawn sandwiches *voms*

• Missus S
    Missus S ·
    • Hide content

Ooh beef paste, I used to have that. Maybe why I'm vegetarian now

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ha, me too. Maybe there is a higher incidence of vegetarianism in children of parents who feed them crap meat products? Smiley smile

• Tizzie
    Beginner June 2012
    Tizzie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It's called Potted Hough in Scotland. It is rank. We sell it in our shop and it is unbelievably popular. It's by a local butcher and apperantly lovely but I couldn't bring myself to eat it. My brother and the cat will eat it but that's it.

• Tiny-Tiggs
    Beginner April 2012
    Tiny-Tiggs ·
    • Hide content

Some little cocktail sausages would be lovely. Its what I've been taking to work lately.

And yes, I've never had Potted Hough (looks ming) but MIL loves it.

• quackers
    Beginner August 2013
    quackers ·
    • Hide content

I'm a sarnie and crisp kind of girl!!

• RebTheEck
    Beginner August 2013
    RebTheEck ·
    • Hide content

Sometimes we do rolls with meat (ham, pastrami, ox tongue, beef) & salad or chutney. Also a couple of little tupperware boxes with nuts & rice crackers or sweet things like chocolate buttons & dried fruit.

Or a big box of salad with leaves, tomatoes, cucumber, beetroot, radishes, pepper, grapes, onion (red or pickled), meat, hard boiled egg (yum) & maybe some potato salad or coleslaw.

Have slightly changed our salad this week - made a big bowl of homemade coleslaw at the weekend (red & white cabbage, spring onion, carrot, peppers all shredded & a dressing of mayo, white vinegar & a tiny bit of sugar) then add meat, cherry tomatoes, rocket etc

Yummy but he might not survive long taking a salad to school!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics