Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Mrs_imp
Beginner June 2012

Packing wedding dress??

Mrs_imp, 2 of August of 2011 at 18:01 Posted on Honeymoons & Getting Married Abroad 0 6

Hi ladies

I just wondered how you are intending to get your wedding dress abroad with you? I will be flying with Jet 2 and they don't offer a special wedding dress luggage charge. My options are hand luggage or suitcase. I think I will be asking the ladies in the bridal shop to pack it away into a small carry on suitcase for me, that way it hopefully wont be going out of my sight!!!!

I also wondered if you are planning to get it steamed when you arrive there, or are you just doing it yourself in the bathroom with the shower?!

6 replies

Latest activity by Knees, 5 of August of 2011 at 15:54
  • A
    Beginner August 2013
    annie2000 ·
    • Hide content

I have been wondering the same thing, have come to the conclusion that I am going to buy the hardest shell suitcase I can find, pack my dress with loads of tissue paper and bubble wrap layered around it and check it in as fragile luggage. Don't know who we will be flying with yet (wedding is 2 years away) but I am fairly sure most airlines have a fragile luggage option?

My wedding planner will meet us off the plane and take my dress and get it pressed if necessary

• Mrs_imp
    Beginner June 2012
    Mrs_imp ·
    • Hide content

I'm not sure of Jet2 have a "fragile luggage" option. TBH I really don't want to check it in, I would be a nervous wreck the entire way over in case it goes missing!

My dress shop have said that they normally pack them into the small carry on suitcases for people travelling abroad, so I kind of assumed that was what most people did. They have said that they can fit even the biggest of dresses into a small suitcase, fingers crossed!!!!

• M
    Beginner July 2012
    mcdoo ·
    • Hide content

I'm flying Jet2 next year and have decided to have my dress packed into a small carry on case or box. I phoned Jet2 and they said that you could pay for an extra seat and place the dress in a box on the seat. I don't see much point in this extra cost because the box can not sit any higher than the headrest. x

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

I'm going to get a dress box from dressinabox.co.uk or emptybox.co.uk. They have a list of what box to get for what airline (e.g. on the first site, Jet2 can take a large). I'm going to get the bridal shop to put it in nicely, with tissue paper etc and then perhaps pack the dress cover it came in in my packed luggage, so that I can hang it up without anyone seeing it when I arrive. If it's packed up nicely, it might not need steaming, but there's a dry cleaners near where we're staying, so they can steam it if necessary.

• M
    Beginner July 2012
    mcdoo ·
    • Hide content

Hi thanks that's great i will have a look at their website. Are you getting married in Ibiza, if so where is the dry cleaners?

Thanks

Sarah

• WhiteRose84
    Beginner
    WhiteRose84 ·
    • Hide content

My wedding dress was packed into a small but tough suitcase - my dress was too big to try and squeeze into a hand luggage case!

It was fine - went in as fragile (I stuck ALOT of fragile tape round it!)

Took it out as soon as we got to the hotel - let it hang in the wardrobe - was fine! xx HTH

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Nope, not Ibiza I'm afraid.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics