Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

nicnol
Beginner October 2011

Painted nails/french manicure on the day

nicnol, 16 December, 2010 at 14:47 Posted on Planning 0 29

I am trying to grow my nails and keep them in a decent shape to have my own nails on our wedding day - I was a sucker for a false nail but never keep them up and then they ruin my nails anyway!

So then I was thinking the norm is normally to have a nice french manicure but I love my nails when they are painted a nice bright colour (today pillarbox red) and I think it highlights my engagement ring.

So is anyone having their nails or did the OMs have their nails painted a vibrabt colour

29 replies

Latest activity by BrideMrsT2B, 17 December, 2010 at 10:40
  • Vikster79
    Beginner July 2011
    Vikster79 ·
    • Hide content

I will be having coloured toe nails and a french manicure on fingers. If my nails arnt the best condition i will have tips on for the day. Not a fan of fake nails to be honest.

• belindacoles
    Beginner May 2011
    belindacoles ·
    • Hide content

I went to a wedding where the bride had her nails painted cerise pink (to match the bridesmaids and flowers) - it look lovely!

Though I think bold colours on nails look better on shorter nails, not so harsh

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

I've had this discussion with my mother - I informed her that I will be having my nails painted red. Her response was "Your not a hooker". She doesn't really like the look, although I do wear red on my fingers and toes almost everyday and it's my "thing" - which OH also loves.

Just lately i've been practising at having a french manicure and I am getting used to it, so I think I am going to have a traditional french polish with some nail art matching the flowers on my dress on my finernails and red toe nails which will peek out of my peep toe shoes.

• Browny
    Beginner June 2011
    Browny ·
    • Hide content

I think I'm going with a subtle pink on mine. Dont think I want a french manicure but havent entirely decided yet.

• BrideMrsT2B
    Beginner June 2011
    BrideMrsT2B ·
    • Hide content

I used to get nail extensions put on all the time but it completely ruined my nails so I have tried just having a french manicure on my natural nails but it doesn't seem to last very long or look that great (my nails are naturally quite short) so I was thinking of having a colour to match flowers on the day.

• MrsMac2be
    Super May 2015
    MrsMac2be ·
    • Hide content

I think I'm having acrylic nails attached just before the wedding as they will look nice for the honeymoon too and plus someone else will have to carry my suitcase (in case I snap one) lol....

Thinking of having purple or at least a lighter purple on fingers and toes for the wedding along with a white transfer heart or something just on my pinky finger nails.

• belindacoles
    Beginner May 2011
    belindacoles ·
    • Hide content

I also think its worth trying how you want your nails, with your wedding ring on too, so you can get a good feel for how it will look in photos etc - Im finding the look of 2 rings on my finger really bizarre but was much happier when I tried the wedding band on when I had false nails on

• Lauren25
    Beginner July 2011
    Lauren25 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I totally agree I think my engagement ring stands out too when my nails are a good strong colour, Im also debating wheter to have an orangy peach to match bridesmaids or the french manicure, I must admit im swaying more towards a colour? I would have my own nails but would probably have gel colour put on them so they wouldnt chip

• nicnol
    Beginner October 2011
    nicnol ·
    • Hide content

I'm not going to have particuarly long nails just (hopefully) all the same lenth and filed to be square/oval......I know what you mean with a long nail and a bright colour.

My BM's will probably be in purple which I don't think would work as well as the hot pink (dam me for letting h2b choose the colour scheme!)

• belindacoles
    Beginner May 2011
    belindacoles ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Have you tried gel overlays? You can have them just on your own nails so it doesnt add length and then they just kind of peel off, rather than needing to be hacked off like acrylic Smiley smile

• BrideMrsT2B
    Beginner June 2011
    BrideMrsT2B ·
    • Hide content

Hi Belinda,

No I havent tried Gel, I just go to a nail bar that only does the acrylic ones so i'll have to give gel a whirl in the new year to see what its like as my own nails are so flaky and chip and break really easily!

• belindacoles
    Beginner May 2011
    belindacoles ·
    • Hide content

Ive never had gel myself but a girl I work with has gel and her nails look so lovely and never ruined. Think it tends to be pricier than acrylic though

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content

My nails beds are flat so my nail does not grow above the end of my finger, resulting in hands looking like boys hand with nails that look like theyve been bitten (neverhave!!)

Over the years ive tried various super grow formulas and altho it strengthens my nails to almost rock like, because of the flatness my nail does not curve corrcetly.....so cannot have a nice french manicure on them Smiley sad

Have had extensions for about 3yrs now, have them off every 3mths to let my nail breath and stuff but wouldnt dream fo not having them on the day! I dont have white tips, i have them with just clear over them and have them short short so they look as real as possible!!

• Rod
    Beginner
    Rod ·
    • Hide content

I am considering having a very neautral, almost nude colour on my nails...like a beige almost...it will make my ring stand out and hopefully make my hands look more elegant and less manly!!

Love the idea of coloured nails - was considering red, but nothing else is red!! My scheme is white ivory and midnight blue! x

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content

how about having some diamonds dangling off the ends too to really WAG it out ?

• nicnol
    Beginner October 2011
    nicnol ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

at my first wedding I had the acrylics and stark white nails and then on my ring finger a little diamante stuck on the nail!!

I might look into the gel stuff though as we have a place near work that does shellac which I think is like the nails inc 3 week manicure.

I'd love red nails but as nothing else is red would look a bit odd!!! Maybe gold haha

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

I've had gel overlays and I loved them! I've always bitten my nails, but I did a really good job of growing them for OH's brother's wedding last year (where I was singing, so people would be seeing my nails a lot from holding the music!). They just painted what looked like thick gloopy nail varnish over my own nails, then added the white tip and dried them in a UV machine thingy.

You can get tip extensions if you want, but I was quite happy with the length, they were just really weak from having been bitten for so long. You can also paint over them in whatever colour you want and when you remove the colour with nail varnish, the white tip is still there.

One of them popped off when I went on holiday a few days later and a couple started lifting, so I (very naughtily) peeled them off. They did a fair bit of damage to my nails, but that was because I picked them off, rather than having them removed properly.

I definitely want to have them again for my wedding.

• panda2011
    Beginner September 2011
    panda2011 ·
    • Hide content

Personally I hate french manicures - I think they look a bit chavvy (sorry to those who love them!) but that is probably from all the chavs who have them done badly. Natural nails looks better than falsies any day if you can get your own nails nice which I know can be a real problem. I'm lucky as my nails are fairly tough so I shall start looking after them for a few weeks before the wedding. I'm going to have my nails a pretty pink as we're having a pink colour scheme.

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content

That is what I used to think too, and probably due to seeing so many acrylic french manicured nails. A few weeks ago I had my own nails shellac'd in french polish. Shellac lasts for 2 weeks and is no more damaging than normal nail polish. Here is my french manicure:

I'm definitely having mine shellac'd, but remain undecided on whether that will be french polish or a demure pink.

• nicnol
    Beginner October 2011
    nicnol ·
    • Hide content

@ililacit - they look lovely! I'm def now going to have a trial run with shellac.........perfect excuse for getting my nails done for xmas now!!!

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think it's a good idea to try these things out now. That's what I was doing, and now I appear to be a regular shellac'r! I also think it's a good idea to start a few months before the wedding (if going au natural) so that your nails will be in tip top condition for the day.

• nicnol
    Beginner October 2011
    nicnol ·
    • Hide content

My friend has acrylics as her nails don't grow properly and after many years of searching various nail bars has finally found one that makes them look very natural! On me though they make me look chavvy and I also look an idiot trying to ever do anything with them!!!

My nails are just a bit shorter than Ily and there is a place near work that does shellac so going to see if they can fit me in today!! hehe!

• BrideMrsT2B
    Beginner June 2011
    BrideMrsT2B ·
    • Hide content

Ok i'm now googling shellac?? Never heard of it but if it doesnt ruin your nails I am definately up for trying it!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics