Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

saspip
Beginner May 2012

Pantone swatches - where to get them?!

saspip, 18 August, 2011 at 20:43 Posted on Planning 0 15

Hi hitchers

I recently ordered my bridesmaids dresses from Dessy and despite paying a fortune they don't come with a swatch of fabric. I really need a swatch for the cake / invites etc but the only pantone swatches I can find seem to be shipped from the USA and cost a fortune.

Has anyone found them cheaper than £15 anywhere?? I need to let my invite lady have the exact colour so she can match it!

15 replies

Latest activity by saspip, 19 August, 2011 at 13:34
  • Lynseys Designs
    Beginner
    Lynseys Designs ·
    • Hide content

Go into B&Q and get all the colour paper cards from the paint that they mix up for you. Then see if any colour matches your dresses and you can send the paper chart to anyone who needs it ?

Alternatively you can try and get thread or ribbon that matches. HTH x

• moonpie1985
    Beginner July 2012
    moonpie1985 ·
    • Hide content

Can you use an online pantone reference guide such as:

http://www.u-do-design.com/187/Colour-Reference.html

• saspip
    Beginner May 2012
    saspip ·
    • Hide content

I did look at ordering them from dessy.com because £6 seemed quite reasonable but then they whacked an extra tenner on top for shipping which I think is a bit extreme for something so light!

• Dollyrockerz
    Beginner October 2011
    Dollyrockerz ·
    • Hide content

Do you know which Pantone colour it is or do you need to match it up first? I have a couple of old pantone books, I'd be happy to send you the relevant 'page'.

Alternatively, if you need to work out which colour code it is, you could take your dress to a local printer/designer and ask them if you could jsut borrow the book to note down the number

• Inspire Me Designs
    Inspire Me Designs ·
    • Hide content

Hi

I think Lynsey has the best idea. It's free and there are sooo many different colour variations so you should be able to get a good match!

Nat

• N
    Beginner January 2008
    niche79 ·
    • Hide content

I agree with Lynsey. I had Dessy BM dresses, in 5 different colours and was able to get a pretty much exact match for all 5 of them from paint charts in Homebase. I went back to the shop with them and matched them to the colours in their sample book as I didnt have the dresses at home as they were on order.

Then I just went back to Homebase and got a few of each colour so I could use them for suppliers and I kept one in my handbag, stuck to the fridge and in my drawer at work so I always had them to hand if I was buying anything.

• saspip
    Beginner May 2012
    saspip ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oooh, Dollyrockerz! The colour I'm after is Celadon. If you do have it I'd be so grateful. If not it looks like it's off to B&Q for me! Thanks for all the tips hitchers.

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

Is that the celadon I found on Google, that looks a bit sort of mint/sage green ish?

https://www.colourlovers.com/color/ACE1AF/celadon

• Dollyrockerz
    Beginner October 2011
    Dollyrockerz ·
    • Hide content

Do you ahve the pantone number for that colour rather than a name?

• saspip
    Beginner May 2012
    saspip ·
    • Hide content

I think it's 13 - 6108...

• saspip
    Beginner May 2012
    saspip ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It's a very pale sage green colour. Just clicked on your link and it looks nothing like it which is why I'm wary of using colours from the internet! So frustrating - for the price you pay for Dessy dresses you'd think they'd include a blinkin swatch!

• Dollyrockerz
    Beginner October 2011
    Dollyrockerz ·
    • Hide content

Ah, did some digging and that colour is only available in the 'Home' books, not my print ones.

If you can find the print code that is the closest to what you need then I can send the page

Soz

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

This link - https://www.amazon.com/PANTONE-SMART-14-0114X-Swatch-Celadon/dp/B004O7E5CO calls it 14-0114X but then again the 13-6108 you mentioned looks right as well.

We're using hunter green, and what looks like hunter green on the screen prints out almost black, so we've had to match by eye from our printer (which is probably not calibrated right) to make it print like it should, to match the ties etc.

But a printed colour and a fabric equivalent will always look different due to the shininess - you may not actually get a perfect match.

• saspip
    Beginner May 2012
    saspip ·
    • Hide content

The only other code I can find for it is 14-0114x, I'm not sure if that's the print code or not. Both of those on Amazon look right to me and again, I would buy them from there were it not for the £10 delivery cost!

Thanks for all your help and searching everyone. It may be one of those unsolvable mysteries!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics