Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

Paper plates vs china

23 of February of 2014 at 18:25 Posted on Planning 0 16

Hello, after getting married abroad were having a uk reception in a barn with a BBQ buffet rather than sit flown meal. We're not having a table plan or anything as we want it casual. The caterers provide either paper plates and plastic cutlery or china plates and metal cutlery for £250 extra. I like the idea of paper plates as we want a really relaxed feel to the evening and think it suits a BBQ buffet but do you think this is going too casual?

16 replies

Latest activity by celticcurl, 23 of February of 2014 at 21:41
  • slou90
    Beginner April 2014
    slou90 ·
    • Hide content

Paper all the way Smiley smile xxx put the £250 to something else xx

• H
    Beginner August 2014
    HundredMonkeys ·
    • Hide content

Yep, agree with Slou - save the £250! I'm having paper plates for my evening reception so I think it'll be fine for yours!

• T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

Could you have paper plates but metal cutlery? Nothing worse than a cheap plastic folk snapping while trying to cut your BBQ meat.

• Foo
    Beginner June 2014
    Foo ·
    • Hide content

I would go for china.

• F
    Beginner September 2014
    future.mrs.c ·
    • Hide content

Paper will be fine Smiley smile

• C
    Beginner
    cw2b ·
    • Hide content

I would have china, I always find paper plates too flimsy.

• FHB
    Beginner March 2014
    FHB ·
    • Hide content

Paper plates if people have tables to sit at, china if eating from their laps (if sitting in seats only..if you get me). Personally think paper plates is in keeping with your relaxed theme

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This.

I also completely agree with the comment about flimsy cutlery. I hate plastic forks which snap when you try to pick up something.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

It might just be me being picky, but if I was going to go for the paper and plastic I would want to see the ones they use first to make sure they're not rubbish quality.

• G
    gpc1 ·
    • Hide content

Recycled paper plates, metal cutlery and save the cash for the bar or a holiday!

• L
    Beginner June 2014
    loopy_linzi003 ·
    • Hide content

I would go for china if you are having a BBQ with meat and all the trimmings. I would personally go for china if i could stretch my budget to it but thats just personal preference for my wedding casual or not. If your having meat, salad, dips, coleslaw etc, nothing worse than a failing paper plate your guests can't eat off and cut up there food comfortaby xx

• Ddpunk
    Beginner June 2018
    Ddpunk ·
    • Hide content

I'd be tempted to go for paper too and save the £250 for something else!

What's on the buffet? Anything saucy?? I remember a disaster at a friends party when the chilli dripped through the flimsy paper plates Smiley sad not a good look! Oh hang on, re-read your OP and if its a BBQ I reckon you'd be fine.

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

Paper, but pretty paper! You can get some really nice ones now so I'd ask your venue what they provide. Also, I agree metal cutlery please x

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

If the BBQ just consists of hot dogs and burgers I think paper/plastic will be fine but if the BBQ consists of things like chops. steaks, chicken breast i.e food that needs to be cut up I don't think plastic and paper will be up to the task.

• C
    Beginner July 2015
    celticcurl ·
    • Hide content

How many guests do you have? It is impossible to advise if this is a reasonable cost without knowing how many guests and is it just dinner plates andknife and forks or other item aswell?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics