Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M and M
Rockstar August 2025 West Midlands

Paper thickness

M and M, 11 January, 2011 at 18:55 Posted on Planning 0 7

This question may be a bit of a longshot but im considering making my own table plan, menus etc. Looking up the paper to buy but dont no what thickness i should go for!! Does anyone know what is usually used? Thanks

7 replies

Latest activity by Inspire Me Designs, 12 January, 2011 at 10:59
  • M and M
    M and M ·
    • Hide content

Also what would you recommend sticking the card onto the large canvas with? Glue can sometimes make it go soggy!

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

Ordinary "photocopier paper" is 80gsm weight.

Card starts at 120 but 160 is really the minimum you want to use, 200 or more is better for thicker stuff.

Not sure about glue - sorry.

• MrsBear2b
    Beginner August 2011
    MrsBear2b ·
    • Hide content

For my menu's and order of service, the outer jackets are made from textured ivory card (don't know how thick it is though). And inside I will print onto ivory paper normal printer paper thickness and trim to fit into the booklets. Haven't thought about my table plan yet though. Not sure about the glue though, someone who made their own invitations will be sure to help though.

• N
    Beginner August 2011
    Noodle2Be ·
    • Hide content

For glue could you use spray mount? Or glue dots? Or double sided sticky tape?

• M and M
    M and M ·
    • Hide content

Thank you all thats very helpfull! x

• greenleaf
    greenleaf ·
    • Hide content

I would use double sided sticky tape, just make sure the rolls are 1cm and thicker as they will work better and if its on to canvas put a support behind the canvas so that you have something to press against. (you should be able to buy in most art shops)

In terms of card what about some thin mount board. I would generally say above 220 gram card, i would recommend 300 or even 400 gram depending on its application.

• S
    Beginner
    SoontobeMrsSSmith ·
    • Hide content

I'm making / already made all my stationary, and for anything that needs to be 'cardy' I've used 300 or 400gm. The 300gm is a more foldable, but the 400gm is much stiffer and also has a much better quality feel to it.

Then all the normal 'papery' stuff I've used 160gm, which is heavier than normal photocopier paper, which is 80gm and the usual quality nice office paper being 100gm.

The 160gm again adds an air of quality.

Yes! I've done lots of research and tried lots of samples...

• Inspire Me Designs
    Inspire Me Designs ·
    • Hide content

It really all depends on your table plan.

If you are using a canvas for the plan and just having the actual tables made out of card then you really don't need anything thicker than 220/230gsm card. Use good quality double sided tape to stick it on to the canvas.

If you are printing straight onto the card that you will use for the table then make sure it will go through your printer as a lot of printers struggle with card.

The other thing to do is layering which is a personal favourite of mine and use the 220/230gsm board for the table (even if its coloured card) and then layer the printed table details onto that. This just needs to be good quality printer paper (100-130gsm).

Hope that makes sense.

Nat

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics