Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

SunnyOrangeFlowers21
Beginner August 2014

Parent-zillas

SunnyOrangeFlowers21, 11 of January of 2014 at 23:04 Posted on Planning 0 11

My mother has just decided that the RSVPs should go to her and not me 'so the postman won't get confused'. Please can this be a thread full of amusing/irritating parent wedding antics - I can't be the only one with a mad mother!

11 replies

Latest activity by ~Peanut~, 12 of January of 2014 at 16:16
  • Forever Wedding Dance
    Rockstar September 2013
    Forever Wedding Dance ·
    • Hide content

We were really lucky that our parents didn't interfere or enforce their opinions / wants on us at all really but my mum was a bit nonplussed by our plans at first. It was just a combination of things that those of us who are familiar with modern weddings think is completely the norm (photobooth, DIY touches, campervan, Ceilidh band, cupcakes etc) but the older generation often think is completely revolutionary and apparently when I told her we were having a Fish & Chip van come to do our evening buffet she said to my brother's GF at the time 'I'm sure she's just coming up with these wacky ideas to see how far she can push me!'

However as soon as she looked at a few bridal magazines and saw that things can be a bit different these days (and verified that it was actually really was possible to have a Fish & Chip van come to your wedding) she was much more into it and actually really loved our day.

• IGB2B
    Beginner May 2014
    IGB2B ·
    • Hide content

When I told my mum I wanted a pork pie wedding cake, she nearly had a heart attack. She's come round to the idea now though, especially when she realised how much cheaper than a normal wedding cake it would be!

• Tiny-Tiggs
    Beginner April 2012
    Tiny-Tiggs ·
    • Hide content

Oh i definately had a mumzilla, bless her but her heart was in the right place and it all worked out wonderfully.

Yes my RSVPs all went back to my parents house, as tradition dictates

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

Everything. My mum started every conversation with me for a year with 'well I think I have found my outfit...' Never once asked how plans are coming along.

she was also insistent that i have a 'nice rolls Royce' to turn up in as opposed to the beautiful camper van we chose.

She nearly had a heart attack that mrmini was married in a cord suit and converse as it wasn't 'refoectful'

Oh and our food choices were 'common'.

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

Bloody iPhone. That word is 'respectful'

• jfilsell
    Beginner March 2014
    jfilsell ·
    • Hide content

Thankfully my parents have been pretty great, but they did have a few wobbles at the start.

The most memorable was when I came home for the first time since we'd got engaged, they didn't say anything about the engagement but proceeded to tell me they'd made a list of people they thought should be invited to the wedding. Half the people on the list I had seriously never heard of. Some were distant relatives they never even saw.

I had a bit of a paddy and they shut up about it. I then sent them my list to make it clear that actually 100 people isn't that much and we weren't just organising a huge piss up for our mates - the guest list is at least half family.

Oh, and there was the other day when my dad told H2B that if he didn't return the DVDs he'd borrowed off him he wouldn't turn up to get his suit. He was half joking...

• MischiefMumma
    Beginner August 2014
    MischiefMumma ·
    • Hide content

Another child of a Mumzilla here!! My mum decided that as the parents send out the invites, they should physically send them from their house. They live in Wiltshire, I live in Darlington. I am a very anxious person as it is, and so having to let go of the thing that tells everyone you're even getting married was a hard no! She also wanted the RSVPs sent back to her too. Again, no. She wanted her cousin (I've seen this woman about 5 times in my life, mostly at funerals, and not in the last 10 years) invited to the day do to keep my grandparents company. My mums sister is invited to keep them company.... She's also talking about her outfit and not at all bothered about how my plans are going. She also kicked off when I told her she couldn't wear a hat. Not a little hat but a massive My Fair Lady style hat. So glad I'm not the only one!!!

• ~Peanut~
    Beginner December 2012
    ~Peanut~ ·
    • Hide content

Oh god, this thread has brought back my repressed memories of Melongate.

My mum insisted we should have melon as one of our starter options. H and I wanted something a bit more special than melon at our wedding and we had chosen to give people a choice of fishcakes or winter vegetable soup. My mum argued that my aunt has a stomach condition and can only eat small portions. We argued that she could just eat a small portion of soup like she does at every other family event. It caused massive arguments as my mum would not let it go. In the end I backed down as it was not worth this much stress over f*cking melon...and my aunt chose to have the soup. Win.

• SunnyOrangeFlowers21
    Beginner August 2014
    SunnyOrangeFlowers21 ·
    • Hide content

Oh thank God I'm not the only one! I have given in and am going to let her have the RSVPs for a quiet life...

• FHB
    Beginner March 2014
    FHB ·
    • Hide content

My own parents have been fab they are so laid back about everything as am I. The only thing that raised dad's eyebrow was when I said we would have hot filled rolls instead of a finger buffet in the evening..and I'm sure even then it was only because he loves mini sausage rolls so much.

OH's parents however....they wanted a fancy car, I said no. They wanted an organist, I agreed if a violinist could be added. Now they are humming and hawing about my violinist. We aren't serving wine with the meal, people can order any drink they like (on us) ....that was hugely frowned upon 'it's not the done thing'. None of us drink wine? I only drink it at a wedding if it's the only choice..I'd sooner have free reign.

• ~Peanut~
    Beginner December 2012
    ~Peanut~ ·
    • Hide content

^ This has reminded me of another thing - my mum also used to bang on about how my uncle had a harpist at his wedding and it was so nice and wouldn't it be lovely if we had one. We had already chosen the music were were having at our ceremony and did not want a harpist. She still wouldn't stop going on about it though.

She also kept going on about how important it was that she was comfortable on the day because of the 'situation'. The 'situation' was that she was single but my dad had a girlfriend. (My parents split up amicably about 13 years ago and are still good friends, and my dad had been with his girlfriend for about 8 years, so it was nothing new).

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics