Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sloth

Passport due for renewal and a Name Change

Sloth, 17 August, 2012 at 11:00 Posted on Planning 0 21

I might be being dense here ...

My passport runs out next month, and I get married in October - not going anywhere before the date so may aswell change my name at the same time.

Has anyone done this? I can find the forms for the change the name before the wedding, and the renewal forms to renew my passport - do I just fill it all out and send it off (or take to the post office), or are there further forms to fill out??

21 replies

Latest activity by irrelephant, 18 August, 2012 at 18:52
  • karenanne229
    Beginner October 2013
    karenanne229 ·
    • Hide content

Hi

Not sure if this is true but I heard if you produce the certificate that you are allowed to get married to the passport office they will allow you to get a new one in your married name up to 3 months before.

Might not want to send off your certificate that you are allowed to marry though

• sian-tiffany
    Beginner May 2012
    sian-tiffany ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I have heard this too...........we went to a wedding a few years ago and the bride had booked the honeymoon in her married name so get her passort changed. Not 100% of the process but im sure the post office will be able to help out.

• Sloth
    Sloth ·
    • Hide content

Thanks - have found this is true. Think I am over complicating it in my head - if I follow this process my passport will renew in the process.

ooo means i need to work out my new signature Smiley smile

• MrsMeldrew
    Beginner October 2012
    MrsMeldrew ·
    • Hide content

I've just done this. You need a PD2 form (dowloadable from direct.gov) and you need the vicar or registrar to sign it to say the marriage is due to take place and then fill out the application in your new name and also sign with new signature. I had to renew photos too so had to get them signed on the back with "I certify this is a true likeness of *****, who after maririage will become *****" then they filled the form in in my married name. You can do this 3 months before like karenanne said.

Hope this helps Smiley smile

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

If your facial features [in the pictures] haven't changed though, you don't need the counter-signature.

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content

Hey ladies, can I jump in here please?! My passport runs out in february and get married in august so three months before is may so can I just let my passport expire and then renew with new name.etc. In May? Sorry to hijack but thought I would ask as it came up!

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

Kja2014, I'm pretty certain you have to renew your passport before it expires.

So you'd have to renew your passport and THEN get the name changed.

• MrsMeldrew
    Beginner October 2012
    MrsMeldrew ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think Ali might be right, in which case you will be paying out twice. It might be worth giving the passport office a ring, they haev been really helpful when I've rung.

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content

Thanks ladies, glad that I asked! Will ring next week, don't really want to have to go through it all and pay twice! Thanks again x

• Sloth
    Sloth ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone that is really helpful Smiley smile With a deadline didn't want to go down the wrong route!

• B
    Beginner June 2013
    Bubbles369 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I thought you could let your passport lapse and then just re-apply so in theory you won’t have a passport for a month or to, then just apply for a new one!

• B
    Beginner June 2013
    Bubbles369 ·
    • Hide content

Who can renew their passport

You can apply to renew your passport if you still have your last passport and:

• it was a standard UK adult ten-year passport or a UK five-year child's passport issued before you were 16
    • it is undamaged
    • you do not need to change your name or national status

You cannot renew your passport if:

• you were previously included as a child on someone else's passport

In this case you will need to apply for a first adult passport.

If you are changing your name

If you want your new passport to show a different name to your current passport, see 'About name changes and passports'.

Taken from direct gov

So you have to re-apply to change your name anyway, so you can just let it lapse and re-apply 3 months before the wedding.

• B
    Beginner June 2013
    Bubbles369 ·
    • Hide content

Double post
  • Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content

Thanks bubbles- Just found this (below) on direct gov so might be able to do everything at one- will ring and talk to a human just to be sure tho!

The supporting documents

IPS needs to see evidence of all your name changes. You must send original documents, not copies. IPS will accept laminated documents as proof of name changes.

You will need to send:

• completed application form
    • your current or last passport
    • two recent, identical photographs

and supporting documents as detailed below.

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You don't have to have a passport legally. Mine ran out last october and I only renewed it in May. So you can wait until just before your wedding to renew it.

Notbsure about name changes though as I'm not doing that til I need to renew my passport again

• K
    Beginner August 2012
    K8_2408 ·
    • Hide content

I've just done a name change on my passport, I changed my first name BEFORE the wedding so I could have my preferred name on my wedding certificate.

You don't have to renew your passport before your current one expires. Whatever reason you're re-applying, you need to include the most recent passport with the application. If you renew your passport while your current one still has time left on it, you can carry up to9 months onto your new one. I.e, my new passport is valid for 10 years 9 months.

You can apply for a passport in your married name before you're married but as someone said you do need to get the person performing the ceremony to sign a form. This can be done up to 3 months before.

I did have to provide a new photo with my application but it didn't need to be counter-signed.

After we get married, I will be changing my passport AGAIN so I can travel in my married name. Bit of a pain to change it twice (esp how much it costs!), but to have my preferred first name on my wedding certificate will be worth it.

• I
    Beginner January 1999
    irrelephant ·
    • Hide content

They will allow you to change your name but it will be post dated to your wedding day. You will need to make sure your honeymoon is booked in your married name though or they won't let you travel.

• H
    Beginner July 2013
    helzbelz200 ·
    • Hide content

Hi all I have the exact problem, getting married July 2013, my passport expires in March 2013. I will get the registrar to sign the form and get it in my married name 3 months before.

The trouble is I won't be able to use my passport until July 2013. I think I will need to go to France before the wedding to pick up the wedding alcohol - does anyone know if you need your passport to get into france? Can you use your driving licence instead?

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content

Ah so I should be okay then. I wont need it before the honeymoon and will just make sure that I book things with my new name! Cheers for the advice Smiley smile

• I
    Beginner January 1999
    irrelephant ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

AFAIK you need your passport, even when going by channel tunnel/ferry. I think you can only use your driving license for internal flights.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics