Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

xoxoxo2017
Beginner May 2017

Passport Information – what countries refuse entry with marriage certificate?

xoxoxo2017, 15 of October of 2014 at 14:58 Posted on Planning 0 12

I have been doing a lot of research into this but can't find anything that details which countries; all I find are texts saying that “there are some countries which refuse entry of a passport unless in the correct name regardless of accompanying marriage certificate”. Does anyone know?

Basically, my current passport runs out Feb 2015. I marry in Aug 2015. I want to go on a hen do abroad but this means renewing for Feb rather than waiting until I’m married in Aug, meaning it will be in my maiden name for another 10 years. We haven’t yet decided on honeymoon destinations but I’d like to think we don’t end up with restrictions.

Thanks

12 replies

Latest activity by Holey, 16 of October of 2014 at 10:13
  • halloweeny
    Beginner October 2013
    halloweeny ·
    • Hide content

I think you can apply for your 'married' passport early (I think 6 months before). I'm not 100% sure about this though so do check online.

• R
    Beginner December 2014
    rambosmum ·
    • Hide content

I hadn't even thought about this until I started reading things on here. I have 8 years left on my passport. I bet I forget to book our honeymoon in my maiden name (we won't book it until after the wedding) and then I won't be allowed to go or something!

• S
    Beginner December 2013
    Snowrose ·
    • Hide content

As far as I know no countries allow this and I doubt any airlines would either - the name on your passport must match that on your travel documents. So you will either have to book in your maiden name (which is fine) or else get a new passport after you're married (v.costly).

You can apply for a passport in your married name three months ahead of your wedding date, but you can't use it until after you're married.

I suppose another alternative would be changing your name by deed poll now (to what will be your married name), then you could have your renewed passport in your married name.

• cinnamon009
    Beginner December 2014
    cinnamon009 ·
    • Hide content

I may be being a bit thick but how would they know? Being married doesn't mean you are changing your name so why does getting married mean your passport is invalid? If you book the tickets in the same name as is on the passport how would any country know that you have changed your name?

A genuine question as our honeymoon is a couple of months after the wedding and I was just intending to book all the tickets etc in my maiden name and use my existing passport and change it all when I get back. How would anyone know I have got married AND changed my name as long as all the documents tie up?

Also - you could change your passport when you get married but it would mean paying twice which is a pain.

• Lottie2409
    Beginner November 2014
    Lottie2409 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You can apply for a new passport 3 months before the date of the wedding. I did this as I wanted to book my honeymoon in my married name. However the my passport is postdated to the date of the wedding and my old one came back with the corner cut off so I cant use either at the moment!

• M
    Beginner May 2015
    missgeebee ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is right... i've booked my honeymoon in my maiden name a little bit sad about it.... but i'm not paying an extra £90 to have one passport for my hen do in April, and then another new one in May.... Apart from that i'm not conviced it would be back in time!

Travel agent said it was fine to book in maiden name just need to make sure names match up on passport/tickets!

If i get to a point where i don't mind spending another £90 to change my name then i will, if not I'll be holidaying in my maiden name for the next ten years! Smiley smile

• R
    Beginner December 2014
    rambosmum ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It's not that they would know it's that some brides don't want to book their honeymoon in their maiden name but the name on your travel documents must match your passport. You don't have to change your passport, just some brides want to.

• kimiu
    Beginner June 2015
    kimiu ·
    • Hide content

I've booked my honeymoon in my new married name, because I definitely don't want to be travelling as Mrs Ex-H as I kept my married name after divorce, and it just seems so wrong!

My passport expires in July 2016 - we get married June 2015. As far as I understand, I can apply for my new passport up to 3 months before my wedding, in the new married name, and it will have not only the remainder of my current term, but the new 10 year term too - so my new passport will be, essentially, an 11 year one.

BUT, there is now a good chance we will have to travel abroad for a work thing just a couple of weeks before our wedding. So I will need to keep my passport in my current name, so that I can go on the work trip, then do an express application for my new passport in my new married name between returning from the work trip, and getting married a few days later! This will cost a bit more than the normal change of name, obviously, but the alternative is for me to change the name on the honeymoon back to my current name, and incur a fee for admin charges at the airlines etc, which works out just as expensive!

Its really important to me to be able to travel as Mr & Mrs for our honeymoon so I will do whatever I can in order to be able to do that!

Mind you it could be worse - friends of mine are travelling to Vietnam for their honeymoon. She already has her passport in readiness, in her new married name. But they cannot get the VISA for Vietnam as the embassy will not issue a Visa on a post dated passport. So the day after the wedding, they have to get up mega early, (on a Sunday!) to go and queue up at the Vietnamese embassy to hope they can get a visa before they travel on the mega honeymoon they have already booked and paid for, later that same day!!!!!

• Lottie2409
    Beginner November 2014
    Lottie2409 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You can only carry up to 9 months over on to a new passport.

• M
    Beginner November 2015
    MissJag ·
    • Hide content

You can book the honeymoon etc in your maiden name. There is nothing to say you have to change your name. It would then be OK on all the travel docs and you can worry about changing it when you get back.

Im not changing my name anyway.

• kimiu
    Beginner June 2015
    kimiu ·
    • Hide content

That's almost a year in my book, haha!! I just knew that I wouldn't be forfeiting my remaining year on my existing passport, 3 months, I can cope with!!

• InWineTheresTruth
    Beginner July 2015
    InWineTheresTruth ·
    • Hide content

Each to their own but all seems like a pointless waste of money changing it ... mine runs out in 2020 ... Until then I will travel under my maiden name and won't give it a second thought!

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

As far as I'm aware all your travel documents need to match your passport, I don't believe any country will let you travel on a passport different to your documents regardless of the marriage certificate.

If I were you I'd just renew your passport in your current name if you want a hen do abroad and then make sure you book your honeymoon in your maiden name. If you decide not to go abroad for your hen you can apply for a new passport 3 months before the wedding in your new name but it won't become valid until the day you get married.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics