Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

hopefulmum2b
Beginner August 2012

Passport name change/booking honeymoon in furture married name.....details and help needed

hopefulmum2b, 14 March, 2012 at 22:44 Posted on Planning 0 11

Hello Everyone

wondering if you can help.....i want to book my honeymoon tonight and want to be in my married name when on honeymoon....when booking through thomson do i just input my name as my future name and then in 3 months before wedding send passport application off to get it changed into it....do you need to enter assport numbers at time of booking?? we fly the monday after we get married on the sat and hoping to have my new passport for then. Smiley smile

Any help on this subject would be great.

TIA

Amy

11 replies

Latest activity by Stephhowell, 15 March, 2012 at 13:20
  • *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content
  • *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content

If your new passport has a new number (and I assume it will) and you need passport numbers to book the honeymoon, you have two options, either book the honeymoon in your maiden name now, and don't change your details until post-wedding, or don't book the honeymoon until you have your new passport.

I know it's a romantic idea to travel with your new name, but for the sake of convenience I would just travel under your maiden name and change it when you are back. Or just let your passport expire and change your name when you renew (this is what I'm doing as mine only has 14 months left).

• K
    Beginner September 2012
    katzan ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Exactly. Do you really need another hassle and expense in the run up to your wedding? You won't need your passport for anything other than the flight. (Unless you're going to the U.S. and want to drink)

My passport doesn't expire until 2019, so won't be getting changed till then.

• xMissyLoux
    Beginner September 2012
    xMissyLoux ·
    • Hide content

I believe what you have said is right Juppy2b, you certainly don't need your passport number when booking a holiday!

Although I agree with everyone else, I'm leaving my passport in my maiden name and will sort it out when it expires, unless of course your passport is due to expire before your wedding/honeymoon!

• saspip
    Beginner May 2012
    saspip ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We needed our passport numbers when we booked our honeymoon. I've often been asked for mine when booking a flight so I don't think it's that unusual. I'll be travelling in my maiden name, why waste the money on renewing a passport that hasn't expired yet?! The only time it will matter is when you check-in (and how often do you actually get referred to by name at the check-in desk?) You can refer to yourselves as Mr and Mrs X for the rest of the holiday.

• Tray1980
    Beginner July 2013
    Tray1980 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It entirely depends on where you are going - for example if you are going to the US, you need to complete the ESTA form in online (the newer version of the Visa Waiver) and do need your passport for that and also when booking flights to the US

• Kriek
    Beginner December 2012
    Kriek ·
    • Hide content

You don't need your passport number at time of booking but, as others have said, you need to give it to your airline/visa application prior to travelling to the US or other countries requiring visas. This can technically be done fairly last minute (week prior to travel, depending on country of travel) but I personally wouldn't want the hassle incase there were any delays in your passport arriving or if your visa process was delayed. You will not get on a flight if your booking name and passport name do not match up so it is a risk I wouldn't want to take.

There can also be issues with your passport and bank/credit cards being in different names if you need them as deposits for car hire or securing a hotel booking so it might be more hassle than it's worth.

• S
    Beginner June 2012
    soon-to-be-Mrs-King ·
    • Hide content

Hi I booked our honeymoon with First Choice online last year in my Maiden name and I didn't need to enter any passport details. I since realised that my passport will expire at the end of March, so I will be getting my new passport in my married name. I will then have to pay £35 to change the honeymoon booking over into my married name.

I quite excited at getting the passport as my first piece of documentation with my married name on it.

• becomingmrsevans
    Beginner August 2012
    becomingmrsevans ·
    • Hide content

We booked our honeymoon in married name, which meant I spent quite a lot of time giggling as I was getting used to seeing my name like that - We're going through Kuoni rather than Thompson, but they didn't take either of our passport details then. Only a few weeks ago did they ask for OH's passport details and there is a note on their system that I will give my passport details when my new passport arrives! :-)

I know it perhaps is more practical to go in my maiden name but I don't care! Many people go on their honeymoon in married name, I'm sure, otherwise they wouldn't allow you to book in this way. I will have just become Mrs Evans and it would be weird going on my honeymoon booked on flights etc as Miss still! Maybe I'm just a bit of a romantic/traditionalist at heart! Smiley smile

• lady_lyla
    Beginner September 2013
    lady_lyla ·
    • Hide content

My annoyance is that I need a new passport this summer for the sake of one trip, when I get married next year!!

• DarkMoomin
    Beginner June 2012
    DarkMoomin ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Are you certain you have time to do this?

i booked our honeymoon in my maiden name, as I wasn't going to renew my passport till it expired. Then realised my passport was lost. When I looked into getting my passport replaced in my married name, and changing the booking there was the admin fee to pay, but also Thomson wouldn;'t change the booking without sight of the marriage certificate and as we travel the Monday after the wedding there wasn't time to amend the booking...

Work making absolutely certain you will be able to change your name on the booking without the marriage certificate, or if you do need the certificate that you have time for it to arrive....

• S
    Beginner May 2012
    Stephhowell ·
    • Hide content

I think that you can get a form that your registrar signs (which they can do before the wedding) - you then send off all your documents etc and new passport is sorted!!

I have about 2 months to get my passport changed between wedding and honeymoon - getting married in Scotland so need passport as no driving license but OH booked flights in madien name and booked honeymoon in married name! Went to the post office and a lovely lady explained everything, gave me all the forsm etc. I take it all into them, pay a small additional fee and get it back within 10-15 working days. Think it is their check and send service. I would definitely say go and have a chat to the post office about it. They should put your mind at rest/give you all the forms you need.

And the hoenymoon is all booked in my married name - no passport numbers given yet, and no need to show marriage cert or anything. Think you only need to do that if you change your booking. I would suggest booking it in married name and ensure your passport matches.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics