Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

E
Beginner June 2012

Paying by credit card versus wedding insurance??

ExcitedBride.com, 22 February, 2012 at 09:07 Posted on Planning 0 6

Hi All,

Im slightly confused and need some help??!!

If paying for pretty much everything via credit card, deposits, final balances etc....is it therefore worth getting wedding insurance??

Any help and advice would be greatly received!

Thanks

6 replies

Latest activity by 3d jewellery, 22 February, 2012 at 14:17
  • sian-tiffany
    Beginner May 2012
    sian-tiffany ·
    • Hide content

Ive bought everything on my credit card too (cash back card) but i have taken out wedding insurance too as it is the best protection to have. Ours costed £33 which is a small amount in the grand scheme of things.

• E
    Beginner June 2012
    ExcitedBride.com ·
    • Hide content

Can I ask who you used and how much did you insurance? Our wedding will be coming in around £15k and to insure it is looking about £80.

• DarkMoomin
    Beginner June 2012
    DarkMoomin ·
    • Hide content

We went with ecclesiatical as you can pick cover levels for different things - as we have an expensive cake to get the cover levels with other companies we needed tio over insure other things.

I think the thing that I found hard was that they seemed to be asking you to insure the cost of replacing your dress if something happened - now my dress was a sample and if a fortnight before the wedding something happened to it, I couldn't replace it for the same money I had paid out - so I insured for more. Likewise with venue costs etc - if something haoppens to the venue and you have to find a new one at short notice it is likely that you will end up having to pay more and the insurance covers that difference, not the whole cost.

Insurance will also cover damage and loss which I don't think would be covered by credit card cover - tho I haven't looked into it.

• sian-tiffany
    Beginner May 2012
    sian-tiffany ·
    • Hide content

I found it on a google search - had to look at loads though. We have used Dreamsaver Wedding Insurance

Our is Gold Cover - up to £10,000 Cancellation cover, £5,000 Ceremont Atire, £5.000 weddign gifts, £5,000 rings, £5,000 cars and transport, £5,000 photo/vidoegraphy, £5,000 supplier cover, £10,000 personal accident cover, £5,000 legal expenses, £2mil personal liability, £500 document liability and no excess (but the Platinum would take you up to £20,000)

• S
    Beginner May 2013
    sgreen ·
    • Hide content

I've seen a very detailed discussion about this in a wedding forum.

Basically the main difference is that a credit card will cover you in the event where a service doesn't happen. i.e. if the caterers don't show or the venue goes bankrupt.

But, with quality wedding insurance (and important note - not are quality) you'd also be covered in the event of an awful service, such as if the caterers serve food that is totally inedible or if your venue floods or has a power cut on the night or something. Then the insurance should pay compensation (but expect a lot of fighting)

But many argued that the wedding insurance was a waster of money, because the venues, caterers, photographers, car drivers etc. also have their own insurance to cover this kind of thing.

There were also a number of comments from people who'd booked through one of those photography companies and had no shows and photographers pulling out a few days before. All with those photography companies. Very scary. Anyway those who'd paid by credit card got a refund pretty quickly, those with insurance got the refunds, but had to fight for months, loads of letters, fustration, uncertainty and heartache.

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content

First off - paying by credit card will incur fees from some suppliers, is this the most cost effective method of payment? ***sorry if this comes across as patronising, just that sometimes people genuinely don't realise the expense of card fees all adding up***

Insurance covers more than just the supplier going in to liquidation, it also covers things like an illness or death of a member of the wedding party or close family member. Also, adverse weather stopping your guests from attending, and other unforeseen circumstances that payment by credit card doesn't account for. I think for £30 - £50 it would be crazy not to get insurance.

• 3d jewellery
    3d jewellery ·
    • Hide content

Credit cards don't give as comprehensive cover and have time limits. i was conned out of a lot of money by an advertising scam and the credit card comapny had a 6 months tome limit on it

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics