Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

R
Curious January 2023 West Midlands

Paying for a make up artist vs doing it yourself

Rahman, 23 of October of 2022 at 16:34 Posted on Planning 0 14
Is it worth it? Paying someone to do your makeup? I’m looking at spending £100ish and I just think it’s too much. I genuinely enjoy doing my own makeup and I’m quite good at it and I think if I focus on one look and practise I’ll be happy, but everyone keeps trying to talk me into doing it including my H2B saying ‘it’s your wedding day you should treat yourself’ ‘you should hire someone to take the stress out of the day’
What’s your opinion? Which did you do?

14 replies

Latest activity by Danielle, 28 of October of 2022 at 01:41
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

If you enjoy it and are confident, then go for it.

There are no rules.

I never wear makeup - literally never. I hate the way it feels on my face and I hate the way it changes the way I look, so I didn't wear any for my wedding. And loads of people had meltdowns about it, but guess what? It's my face and my wedding and I can do what I like with my own face on my own wedding day!

So if you think you will find it fun/relaxing/enjoyable to do your own makeup, then do it - because it's your wedding, and if you can't have your face the way you want it on your wedding day, when can you?!

• H
    Expert November 2022 Lincolnshire
    Hayley ·
    • Hide content

I'm doing my own because I couldn't justify the costs I was seeing. I have bought some new products because I don't wear makeup often so thought that I could replace/upgrade some elements of my makeup bag. I've had 3 practice sessions to decide on a look and will aim for another full run-through before our wedding in a few weeks. I'm still feeling happy with my decision because even though people may be able to tell that it's not professionally done, I know I will still look and feel like me.

If you enjoy doing your makeup and are good at it then it won't be a stress on the day for you so don't let that be a reason people talk you out of it
  • Lea
    Rockstar July 2023 Kent
    Lea Online ·
    • Hide content

I toyed with the idea of hiring a MUA but they are so expensive. I usually wear make up anyway. I've been watching YouTube tutorials and practising so have decided to do my own.

• R
    Savvy November 2022 Norfolk
    Ruth ·
    • Hide content

I'm in the same camp as Hayley for sure - you do you, and if you want to treat yourself, you can spend half the money and treat yourself to a couple of new bits for your makeup bag! I went for a new blush and lippy Smiley smile

• L
    Rockstar July 2023 Greater Manchester
    Lisa ·
    • Hide content
    I’m doing it myself but mainly because I’ve got a lot of allergies to things in makeup products as well as sensitive skin. I can only wear vegan stuff and even then I still have to test it out, as some will cause flare ups still.
    I don’t really wear make-up day-to-day, so it’s probably cost me more to slowly build out my makeup kit with the stuff I need, as I’ve gone for a lot of the long-wearing more high-end makeup.
    However I’ve watched lots of tutorials, practiced a lot, with the exception of eye makeup (the next thing to conquer) I have done the rest about 10-12 times now and I’m super happy with the result. I still have ages to go, so I’m hoping putting it on will feel like 2nd nature by the time I get there.
    You do you, if it makes you more comfortable go for it. If you want to have someone else do it as a treat, do that instead.
  • Lex
    Dedicated July 2023 West Yorkshire
    Lex ·
    • Hide content
    I’m doing my own makeup. I know how I like it and I think it will be relaxing for me on the morning. The idea of taking an hour to myself to take time and do my makeup sound bliss!
  • Emily
    Dedicated February 2023 Hertfordshire
    Emily ·
    • Hide content
    I'm thinking about doing my own. I don't feel I can justify it tbh. Also, with my hair, I'm planning on going to the salon in the morning and hoping not to get caught in the rain!!!
  • H
    Hayley ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Same here. I've got a 3 minute walk from the salon back to my hotel so hoping for no wind or rain to mess it up before I can finish getting ready.

• Km86
    Dedicated December 2022 North Yorkshire
    Km86 ·
    • Hide content

You are all so brave. out of interest have any of you been married before?

I have and I hired an MUA first time around and I couldn't have done without her, the morning of your wedding will be the most whirlwind morning ever, time goes by from 6am to 12 noon in the blink of an eye, everyone was flapping about and being over excited, no way I could have had peace to do my own makeup! and think how panicked you'll get if it goes wrong. too much stress for me!

needless to say this time around I picked out my MUA as soon as we set the date!

• A
    Dedicated March 2024 Essex
    Alison ·
    • Hide content
    I’m doing my own because I hate being touched and faffed about with. I’m also quite good at doing make up so not worried about doing it myself. Will treat myself to some high quality products including primer and setting spray and practise a few times beforehand.

I don’t really want hair done either for the same reason (I hate going to the hairdressers) however I also know that if I don’t have it professionally put up I will probably end up shoving it up in a scrunchie half way through which is not the vibe I’m going for so it’s the lesser of two evils 😂
  • Anonbride
    Expert July 2023 Cornwall
    Anonbride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is exactly what my mum told me would be worth it to hire someone! Imagine fudging your eyeliner or something and having to start all over, possibly again and again because of likely excited/nervous shakey hands, and then everyone telling you you're going to be late if you don't hurry up!

I do think it's horribly expensive and regularly find myself thinking 'oh maybe I'll do it myself' to save the money but the above argument is what makes me think it's probably worth it and means I can have a fun morning and won't look back on pictures kicking myself for wobbly eyeliner lines or something Smiley xd

• H
    Hayley ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I've not been married before and I can understand your comments but I wonder how much is down to timings for the day and who you have around you.
    Me and my OH are driving to the hotel/venue for 10am and then my step mum will sit with me in the salon whilst I get my hair done. By 11:30 I'll be back in our hotel room to do my makeup and get dressed with just him in the room. Our ceremony isn't until 3pm so our schedule has an hour for photos of the 2 of us before the ceremony and another hour to relax/flex time if anything isn't going to plan before he will go to greet our guests.
    I can easily imagine if I had a lot of people with me getting ready and an earlier ceremony time then I would be more nervous about doing it myself.
  • L
    Rockstar July 2023 Greater Manchester
    Lisa ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I’ve not been married before, but to me it’s not worth the potential hives outbreak or skin flare up, on the day (it can feel like someone held a straightening iron to my face or that it has these horrible bubbles moving underneath it, if it’s something I react to).

Whilst not having a professional means it may not be 100% perfect, I feel 100% more relaxed and confident knowing exactly what’s on my face. Then it’s just lots and lots of practice, so that it becomes 2nd nature on exactly how I want to apply it, so it looks as perfect as I can do it.
  • Danielle
    Curious March 2023 East Sussex
    Danielle ·
    • Hide content
    I'm doing my own I decided to buy new products and went for a mac lipstick as a treat. It cost me around £200 for hair and make up. I have 34inch hair thick and big I was quoted £90 deposit and nearly £400 so it was way cheaper for me to do it myself. Also I want to look like me and not plastered in make up that doesn't suit me. My tips go for long lasting make up pay a bit more for foundation setting spray not fixing spray. Let your foundation dry naturally then setting powder also put your highlighter and bronzer on before you blusher so It doesn't look dirty. All new brushes, sponges etc and practice do a few trials have fun with it. Also waterproof mascara is a must. Also highlighter creams on your collar bones etc. Remember to do your neck and ears

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics