Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Ohwhatatuesday
Beginner May 2014

Paying for accommodation for guests/bridal party

Ohwhatatuesday, 15 of July of 2013 at 20:52 Posted on Planning 0 12

Just wondered whether people had paid for some of the guests accommodation? We're getting to the stage where we're trying to book out rooms/hotels etc and was originally thinking that we wouldn't pay for anyone but now feeling like we'd need to pay for our parents (OH parents are contributing). Just wondered if anyone pays for anyone else's accommodation e.g. bridal party/best man, ushers etc?

Most won't be on site as there's only a couple of rooms so we just thought we'd let everyone just decide where they wanted to stay (there's quite a few hotels nearby) but wondered what's the norm in these situations? Everyone would be travelling about an hour so it's not too near home.

12 replies

Latest activity by Ohwhatatuesday, 16 of July of 2013 at 22:31
  • havecreditwillwed
    Beginner August 2013
    havecreditwillwed ·
    • Hide content

Both sets of parents have contributed very significantly to our wedding, so we put in an allowance to pay for their rooms. As it is a bit on the expensive side, we have also decided to pay for rooms for my sister who is chief BM and her hubby, and OH's bro who is also Best Man and his GF. We then also tagged on my aunt and unle because I knew the hotel was out of reach for them cost wise and I did not want them to be embarassed. I would say that I am unusual in this though and I do have a very good budget. I think offering for parents is a nice touch but unnecessary for the others.

• LoveBug1950
    Beginner May 2015
    LoveBug1950 ·
    • Hide content

We will be paying for a room for my mother and his parents, but they have agreed to look after our four children for the night so it's worth it Smiley smile

• Ohwhatatuesday
    Beginner May 2014
    Ohwhatatuesday ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the replies, just suddenly panicked it was the norm to pay for the whole bridal party!

• Icklefee
    Super May 2014
    Icklefee ·
    • Hide content

We're getting married close to home so most people will just be going home afterwards. My family are all travelling but I'm only paying for my BM's accommodation. She's offered to take my children home so H2B and I can stay in a hotel but since we hope to go on honeymoon within a few days of the wedding I don't think it's fair to leave the children.

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

My parents very kindly paid for a B&B for them, my 3 BMs and all my family who had to come from far away (6 in total). H's family, plus a few of my aunts/uncles/cousins lived near enough to do it in just a day trip.

• Mrspetal
    Beginner February 2014
    Mrspetal ·
    • Hide content

Whoops haven't even thought about this...

• Feb2014Bride
    Beginner February 2014
    Feb2014Bride ·
    • Hide content

My parents have contributed a lot towards the wedding so we are paying for their accommodation. OHs parents havent contributed anything so we are not paying for theirs ... not sure if thats rude but OHs choice.

My bridesmaids have insisted on paying for their own as too has the BM.

We are also paying for our grandparents accommodation as they dont drive and I thought it would be a nice touch.

• futuremrsscott
    Beginner August 2013
    futuremrsscott ·
    • Hide content

We have paid for my parents room for the night before and the night of the wedding purely because I know they have no money and I didn't want them to worry, plus as with a lot of hotels it's sooo expensive and they would never usually pay that much to stay somewhere! I also paid for my brothers room as I wasn't sure what his situation was money wise Smiley smile I'm a worrier so it just made me feel better not to have to worry about it! x

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content

We've paid for our parents' rooms as a thank you for contributing to the wedding. We also paid for our friends' room in a Travelodge as they're coming from Singapore and it was the least we can do.

• Ohwhatatuesday
    Beginner May 2014
    Ohwhatatuesday ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the replies - has really helped! Dunno what I'd do without hitched for this wedding planning malarkey!!

• Y
    Beginner April 2014
    YellowDuckie ·
    • Hide content

We're paying for the hotel room for me and bm to stay in night before but that's as far as we stretch. Hotel is giving us a discount on room rates but still £120 per room/couple b&b. tbh this is normal for family weddings I've been to - we had to pay £175 for room at SILs wedding!

• Ohwhatatuesday
    Beginner May 2014
    Ohwhatatuesday ·
    • Hide content

I've only been to a couple of weddings so not really sure what the norm is for a lot of this stuff so really useful to hear others - our onsite accommodation is about £150 and I thought that was crazy but obviously not!!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics