Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner May 2025 Warwickshire

Paying for hair and make up

Melissa, 12 July, 2023 at 09:59 Posted on Etiquette and Advice 1 9
Hey all,
I need a bit of advice. I am starting to make my enquiries for hair and make up for myself and my bridal party, 3 adult bridesmaids, 2 junior and mother of the bride. Myself and my partner are paying for the wedding ourselves with little to no help from our families, and everything for the bridesmaids is coming out of my own budget. How do people go about paying for this, should I be paying for everyone’s hair and make up, including mother of the bride (we have dresses to pay for also) or is it terrible of me to ask for a little contribution?

9 replies

Latest activity by Sarah, 27 July, 2023 at 22:39
  • L
    Dedicated September 2023 Derbyshire
    Lizzie ·
    • Hide content
    I think if you're up front about it (I don't mean nastily, just setting everything out clearly so everyone knows what's what) then it's fine. We are paying for hair and make-up as well as bridesmaids dresses. It was my decision though, and they did ask if we wanted them to pay for any of it. I've been a bridesmaid before where I've paid for all my own things, and one where I've not paid for any of it (though I was panicking on the day cos I didn't know if anyone was doing my hair or make-up, so I've made it clear to everyone that we are getting it done beforehand so nobody has to worry!)

I believe the usual rule of thumb is if you want a particular style for either hair and make-up or dresses then you should pay. If you're happy for them to do whatever then asking them is OK. I might be wrong, but that's my understanding of it.
  • Abbie
    Curious August 2023 Warwickshire
    Abbie ·
    • Hide content

Lizzie is right with the rule of thumb. You also need to find out what works for you and your maids. Conversations about money and budgets is hard. On the same line, making clear your expectations for your bridal party is important - one would hope that being a bridesmaid (et al) is a choice that can be declined if they feel they can't afford it based on your expectations, for example.
    Some things to consider that might help:
    1. Are they getting an opinion on who you chose to do their hair / make up? (If you're expecting them to pay, they might want to have an influence, to make sure it's affordable for them).
    2. Would you book a different Hair or MUA for them as opposed to you?
    3. Would you be bothered if they didn't get their hair and / or make up done professionally for your wedding?
    We've done it a little more unconventionally. I paid for their hair and make up because they didn't get a choice on the vendor (I've booked who is doing my own hair and make up), and they paid for half the cost of their dress (while my parents covered the other half). They chose their dress, and the one they chose was about double what you'd spend for a guest dress in Quiz / John Lewis etc, so with that, they were no more out of pocket than they would be if they were a guest buying a new outfit to attend the wedding; if that makes sense. In my experience, guests don't usually pay for professional hair and make up, so it'd be 'above and beyond' what a guest would expect to pay.
    I hope that helps!!

• S
    Rockstar July 2024 Cumbria
    Shay ·
    • Hide content
    Hi Melissa. I have asked my own bridesmaids to pay for their own hair and make up and they were absolutely fine with it. That gives them the option of if they want it done or not and they do! Only thing I personally think is if they are paying for it themselves they’ll be able to chose their own style on the day which I personally am fine with. If I wanted them all a certain way I would have paid for it like I am their dresses!
  • Valyria
    Savvy October 2026 West Sussex
    Valyria ·
    • Hide content

Originally I was going to pay for my 3 Bridesmaids hair and make up, but once I started getting quotes I realised that the prices were not realistic for our budget.

I shared the prices with the ladies and didn't mention anything about it because I really didn't want to have to ask them to pay themselves, but they all wanted to know prices anyway. as our wedding is three years away two of them (My best friend and my sister) volunteered to pay for their own as they were happy to do so.

I did ask if they were sure because I felt really bad not paying for it, but they said they were happy to as they would have wanted their hair and make up done anyway even if they were regular day guests. I've just left it up to my FSIL (my other Bridesmaid) as to whether or not she wants her hair and makeup done by the MUA I want or if she wants to sort it herself, or not have anything at all.

Obviously if nearer the time we have more money in the budget i would pay for them (I've not told them this, because it would be nice if i can but it's not guaranteed at this point) but it lifted a weight off of me and they were happy to have that conversation. I think it's something to discuss with your bridal party.

• Nicole
    Curious September 2025 Berkshire
    Nicole ·
    • Hide content
    I think it depends on what you want. Like if you want them all uniform with a certain hair and make up then I think you should pay. If you are more easy going with the hair and make up then give them the option to either do it themselves or they can lay the artist. I’ve told my bridesmaids if they want it done professionally they will have to pay but I am paying for the dresses.
  • Laura
    Dedicated July 2023 Cambridgeshire
    Laura ·
    • Hide content
    As another potential option, I've offered to pay for either hair or make up (their choice) and my bridal party are paying for the other half if they want both (which 2/3 do). I am also paying for hair flowers and dresses, but they are choosing their own dress in a particular colour.
  • I
    Beginner October 1977
    Iskusstven_bcpn ·
    • Hide content
    ИИ: Неограниченные перспективы для будущего
  • Laura
    Curious November 2023 Warwickshire
    Laura ·
    • Hide content
    If personally ask. I was finding ourselves in this very situation and all of my adult bridesmaid have offered to put towards their own hair and makeup (half of the cost) they have all opted to go with trials as this was at their own cost too x
  • Sarah
    Rockstar August 2024 West Midlands
    Sarah ·
    • Hide content
    As long as they are aware of the expectation it’s not an issue. I actually asked my BMs if they could pay for own HMU before I even asked them to be BM and they understood. It’s a drop in the ocean in the grand scheme of how much a wedding costs. Most people will be receptive to it and willing to help :-)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics