Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

C
Beginner August 2014

Paying for the Venue by Bank Transfer??

CristaMB, 18 of June of 2014 at 13:38 Posted on Planning 0 23

Hi,

I'm just wondering how you pay for a venue that's quite far away? (So you can't go and pay in person). My bank won't allow me to pay the £800 deposit over the phone, so the venue have emailed the details for a bank transfer to me - simply the name of the manager and their bank account.

I feel a little uneasy about it. I've googled the name I've been given and they are definitely listed as the proprietor of the venue (a large stately hall), so I don't know why I feel uneasy. Is this normal practice or should I be getting an invoice in the post first??

23 replies

Latest activity by EllieTea, 19 of June of 2014 at 16:25
  • Foo
    Beginner June 2014
    Foo ·
    • Hide content

I paid for everything via bank transfer - I would say that is common practice and much easier all round. I don't have a cheque book any more!

• Pandabarney
    Beginner August 2014
    Pandabarney ·
    • Hide content

I paid for mine by cheque too.

• mariannechuaphotography
    mariannechuaphotography ·
    • Hide content

I take BACs so it strikes me as fine- just make sure you get a receipt for everything Smiley smile

• W
    Beginner December 2014
    WinterBride14 ·
    • Hide content

We paid via Bank Transfer. I don't think you have anything to worry about, at least the bank can track it this way & you have a complete record. Its also quicker than sending a cheque.

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

If you have good wedding insurance then it should be OK. But personally, I'd pay by Visa credit card, paying it off straight away, then you're covered by the CCA if needs be. Chances are if it's an established doing well venue there will be no problems, but you never know.

• H
    Beginner July 2016
    HeavyMetalMaiden ·
    • Hide content

Bank Transfer will be fine. They leave a footprint, so there will always be evidence, so it is quite safe.

However there is nothing wrong with going with your gut instinct, send a cheque if you would prefer, just ensure you get a receipt from them!

Where is your venue? Maybe another hitcher on here paid them by bank transfer too and can put you at ease Smiley smile

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

I couldn't get further away from my venue (in Australia) and I sent by bank transfer. Given the distance, I paid for most things by bank transfer.

• M
    Beginner May 2015
    missgeebee ·
    • Hide content

We paid by bank transfer ?

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

Have you got wedding insurance?

I would pay this by credit card so that you are covered if the venue goes bust.

• E
    Beginner July 2015
    EllieTea ·
    • Hide content

If you pay by credit card make sure they don't add on extra fees (credit cards are usually more expensive to process). I paid by bank transfer for mine, I asked for confirmation straight afterwards that they had received it

• cosmictrout
    Beginner August 2014
    cosmictrout ·
    • Hide content

My venue couldn't take credit cards so I paid the deposit by bank transfer - but made sure I had wedding insurance in place before I did so.

I have had to pay lots of other suppliers by bank transfer too.

• ClaireD*
    Beginner May 2014
    ClaireD* ·
    • Hide content

Same as Pammy said - wedding insurance, then bank transfer. No insurance then Visa. Then you're covered at least partially. Not sure Visa can help if the venue goes bankrupt though??????

We had wedding insurance, and still paid everything by credit card. A wedding is a big expense, and you can get great air miles or cash back if you put it all on the credit card and then pay it off. Bank transfers mean you get nothing. We had to pay our final venue bill in 3 installments in the last week as the credit card limit wasn't high enough. We would put a chunk on the credit card, immediately pay it off using online banking, then call the venue the next day and do the same thing. Kinda worth it if you want the air miles / cash. We're a bit broke post-wedding, so we really wanted the cash back, LOL.

• *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content

Our venue wasn't far away but we still sent a cheque for the deposit and then paid for the balance on credit card to get the airmiles.

As others have said though, bank transfers are perfectly safe.

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

Our venue is in Scotland and we paid by credit card on the phone. They emailed receipts immediately, it was all fine. I'd have been happy enough paying by bacs if needs be though, I deal with bacs payments all the time in my job so I feel confident that they're safe.

• jen-lou
    Super July 2016
    jen-lou ·
    • Hide content

I've paid deposits in a variety of wash, cheque, cash and bank transfer. The good thing about bank transfers is that you can see/have proof that it has been sent.

• MadamRed
    Beginner April 2017
    MadamRed ·
    • Hide content

Bank transfers are completely safe - most large businesses make all of their commercial payments (including paying staff) by BACS, which is basically a bank transfer. At my last job, we were paying millions of pounds out to other companies that way.

If you're uneasy, you could ask them to email an invoice to you, and email a receipt. When I paid for my venue over the phone, they sent me a quote first, stating the service they would provide and the cost on which it was based and also stating the amount required for deposit, which basically acted as my invoice, then they sent me a receipt once the payment was complete.

Oh, and make sure that when you pay you put your names and wedding date as reference (e.g. "Your Surname-OH's Surname dd/mm/yy"), so they can tie the deposit back to your booking.

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

Are you covered as the payer if the comany goes bust? You are if you pay by Credit Card Visa as long as you've paid more than £100 on the card. You can pay the rest anyway you like. Be interested to know if BACS gives you the same protection?

• Trish2014
    Beginner June 2014
    Trish2014 ·
    • Hide content

We paid by card just because we were there,but have paid quite a few things by bank transfer. It's nice and easy to do but I don't think it's covered in the same way as a credit card payment.

• M
    Beginner December 2014
    MRS RB ·
    • Hide content

We are paying our 2nd payment by bank transfer tonight :-) scary seeing all the pennies going from the account

• C
    Beginner August 2014
    CristaMB ·
    • Hide content

Hi, cheers for the advice Smiley smile Insurance! I forgot about that!! Which insurance companies have you guys gone with?

• M
    Beginner December 2014
    MRS RB ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We wernt with Debenhams as they covered things we'd already booked/paid deposit for

• E
    Beginner July 2015
    EllieTea ·
    • Hide content

We used E&L for insurance. Though when I paid my deposit on my dress they gave me free insurance for the dress with E&L and you could pay the difference to cover the rest of the wedding. This probably would have been slightly cheaper but I wanted the insurance earlier to cover other deposits. E&L also cover deposits already paid up to a certain value

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics