Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner July 2019

Paying out deposits

LuxuriousPinkDecor833, 21 of August of 2017 at 15:38 Posted on Planning 0 2

Hi Everyone

I have recently booked my wedding for 2019. I though i was being well prepared but no, the two photographers, ( one of whom i reaaaaally wanted) are both already booked.

I have had a look around at a few others and contacted for prices and i know they will all want a deposit to save the date.

It just hard some want £300 deposit others want between £500 and £600 deposit.

Does anyone else find in these first few weeks of booking things that all you seem to do, i think i am just wary parting with £500 for something happening in two years time.

2 replies

Latest activity by LuxuriousPinkDecor833, 23 of August of 2017 at 14:32
  • H
    Beginner May 2018
    HappyBrownConfetti849 ·
    • Hide content

£300 deposit is quite normal for a photographer, but you are right to be concerned. This is why wedding insurance is so important, if a company goes bust before the day or is unable to deliver, the wedding insurance protects you and helps with money for alternative services. Another way you can protect yourself is by paying deposits on a credit card, I believe it's article 75 or something? But anyway there's a law / clause thingy that means that monies paid over £100 up to a certain amount are protected and can be recovered by your credit card company for you if they break their contract or don't deliver promised services (kinda like the PayPal protection that refunds you if the seller doesn't send your item).

So in a nutshell: get wedding insurance before you pay anything out, and use a credit card where you can. Also always get a written contract, you need them, keep a folder.

• M
    Beginner July 2017
    Mr_P ·
    • Hide content

Hi

Would echo the above reply. Wedding insurance is a must. Paying on credit card is handy but we found a lot of vendors don't have credit card facilities, they're one- or two- (wo)man businesses who just want cash! Some may take payment by Google Wallet but that doesn't support credit card payments in the UK, but if you can pay by PayPayl, you can add a credit card to your payment options and pay them that way - you do pay additional charges but you are covered.

Always negotiate - people don't *need* £500 and £600 deposits. See if you can make a larger deposit in staged payments if they insist on that kind of amount.

Good luck!

Mr_P

• L
    Beginner July 2019
    LuxuriousPinkDecor833 ·
    • Hide content

Good Job i posted.

I knew there was something i had forgot to do!! Wedding Insurance.

and thank you for the tip with paypal, i knew i was best using a credit card, however some have already said they dont accept it.

Will try that tonight

Thank you

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics