Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

E
Beginner February 2016

Paying photographer/other suppliers in full before wedding?

ExpensiveBrownDiamonds329, 31 of May of 2015 at 12:53 Posted on Planning 0 10

I hope I'm posting this in the right place...

Is it normal to pay photographers, videographers and other suppliers in FULL before the wedding?

My fiance and I have found a photographer whose portfolio we really like and has amazing reviews. Both sets of parents are weary that the photographer wants payment in full two weeks prior to the wedding, but none of us know what the norm is now as they planned their weddings thirty years ago.

Any help?

10 replies

Latest activity by Daisy Bell, 1 of June of 2015 at 12:31
  • M
    Beginner February 2016
    MrsF2B! ·
    • Hide content

Hi :-)

Its not unusual at all! By time our wedding rolls around we would have paid for everything in full - nothing left to pay after the day.

I hope this helps :-)

• AKWedding
    Beginner August 2015
    AKWedding ·
    • Hide content

Our photographer requires the balance to be paid before the wedding so I think it is standard. I think so long as you have chosen reputable suppliers and contracts have been signed, you should be ok. If worst comes to worst, you can resort to the small claim courts. Other suppliers require a deposit to be made, and payment of the balance by bank transfer before the day or cash on the day. HTH.

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

Completely normal

• Rachalan
    Beginner April 2016
    Rachalan ·
    • Hide content

Hi

I think it's normal so long as you have a proper contract in case anything goes wrong, I used to supply sweetie buffets and always took a deposit at the time of booking and the remaining balance paid 14 days prior to the wedding x

• B
    Bruce Neville Photography ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

^^^^^^ This, yes it is completely normal to pay the final balance before the wedding but as others have said make sure you get a signed contract.

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

Completely normal, in fact mine needed payment 12 weeks before! I would say though, make sure you get insurance prior to any large payments.

• A
    Beginner March 2015
    Ash953 ·
    • Hide content

I was pretty uneasy about paying it all before the wedding especially as the photographer is based in France and was flying out to shoot our wedding.

A well-drafted contract is important. But what is more important is knowing and verifying any information to identify who you are doing business with (e.g. if it's a person, their full name and address; if they're a company, their company number - verified on Companies House website - and registered address.) If you do not have a written contract then there is common law and legislation that provides some protection. A poorly drafted contract can be very useless.

I had no qualms to let our suppliers know my occupation and that I have litigation experience. Obviously not in a threatening way...

• Chris Giles Photography
    Chris Giles Photography ·
    • Hide content

Weddings are a luxury, actually lots of luxuries all brought together in one day which usually cost a fortune.

There is more chance of a couple not paying after the wedding as many a supplier and wedding venue can attest to. I know a wedding venue that 18 months on is still chasing a 2k balance.

From a trust point of view too, couples approach us, we know nothing about them, who they are, what they do for a living and more importantly their financial fluidity. Whereas we're an established business with a history of delivering a product and are easy to reach. I can be found with a 5 year history on facebook, online reviews, references and my work speaks for itself. But what of those who book me, I knew nothing about them until they sent me an email. Can I trust them too?

Even paying on the day would be an issue. People don't bring enough funds, forget or worse still need to be chased by the suppliers for payment.

I ask for settlement two months in advance because usually people pay me two to three weeks late as they just plain forget.

• M
    Beginner August 2016
    Mrs-Riley ·
    • Hide content

Our photographers told us in our meeting that we didn't have to pay until two weeks after the wedding - then when we checked the contract, it is actually two weeks before. This hasn't put me off though - we have arranged another meeting with them to go through the contract with a fine tooth comb and then pay our deposit.

If you have any queries out any supplier contracts and terms - ask them about it. Doesn't mean it'll change, but if you have a better understand of why it's like that, it'll put your mind at rest Smiley smile

It's a little bit scary that you have to pay for pictures you haven't even seen yet, but I suppose they have to cover their backs too!

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Chris is spot on with this.

If you are booking a photographer just staring out then they are an unknown - all you may have to go on is a handful of samples on a webpage along with some very nice words, then I suppose that you maybe right to feel a little concerned, my online history can be traced back to 1999 through my 62 reviews.

Also to pay on the day is just an extra hassle that is not needed, im busy - your busy, and like Chris also said, it gets forgotten.

So yes balance to be paid before the wedding, sometimes just days before with me as I mainly photograph weddings in Leicestershire area at some wedding venues I will meet the couple there for a pre wedding walk through a few days before the wedding and they can pay then.

• Daisy Bell
    Beginner August 2015
    Daisy Bell ·
    • Hide content

We have to pay our photographer in full 4 weeks before the wedding and most other vendors are also due in full between one month and 2 weeks before the wedding. I think the only one we will not pay in advance is drinks at the venue as that will be depending on how much people have to drink.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics