Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

MissNataliee
Beginner August 2016

Peacock Feathers - Bad Luck???

MissNataliee, 1 of June of 2014 at 00:52 Posted on Planning 0 13

Hi all! Since peacocks are a wild bird where I live (and I love the colours), I wanted to use the colours from a peacock feather; Gold, teal, purple, blue and green.

My groom told me that he'd heard somewhere about peacocks being "bad luck"! I tried to research this but didn't really find anything. I read that peacocks were very symbolic of things like "all-seeing" in Christianity, immortality and love (which is also why I liked them).

So, back to the point at hand; Are they bad luck?

Thanks, Nat xx

13 replies

Latest activity by Rosco298, 1 of June of 2014 at 12:18
  • H
    Beginner October 2015
    hallowedding ·
    • Hide content

Hi Nat,

my grandma used to say they are bad luck and hated the fact that grandpa had a peacock tattoo on his thigh but we are indian and Indian people are overly superstitious. I think the indian superstition had something to do with 'the evil eye' that you see on the feathers (and I also heard that grandpa dabbled in dark magic hence the tattoo- interesting family history, lol!) but if you're not indian- or even if you are, I would ignore it. Peacocks and peacock colours are gorgeous. xx

• 3d jewellery
    3d jewellery ·
    • Hide content

When I was a child I was told that having peacock feathers in the house was bad luck. But peacock colours are extremely popular for weddings and as themes I sell a lot of peacock feather brooches.

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

I was always led to believe that any bird indoors is bad luck and some people are very superstitious about it. I knew someone once who wouldn't go to a hoiuse that had a budgie!! But it is why I didn't choose a bird and birdcages theme for my wedding. Not because I'm remotely superstitious like that, but I know some people are lol.

• C
    Beginner January 2001
    charlinc ·
    • Hide content

My Granny used to say they were bad luck, but she also wouldnt wear green for the same reason!!!

Personally I think they are stunning and very sophisticated

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

Peacocks are super popular for weddings- i'd not let an old superstition get in the way of having something you love for your wedding day ?

Then again, as "Pavone" (Peacock) Photography I may not be the best person to ask ?

Not to mention the mahoosive peacock tattoo i'll be sporting on my own wedding day, so lets hope they aren't bad luck.

• SunnyOrangeFlowers21
    Beginner August 2014
    SunnyOrangeFlowers21 ·
    • Hide content

I've heard that too - but they are so pretty and superstitions aren't real so I think you're safe!

My engagement ring is an opal (my great-grandmother's). I've heard they are bad luck but I've also heard they are good luck because they have all the colours of the 'good luck gems' in them so who knows lol. It is sometimes blue so that's my something blue!

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

I've never heard of that one. Don't think my Bride on Thursday had either as the Bridesmaids wore them in their hair. Either that or she didn't care about superstition ?

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

I don't really believe in things being good/bad luck! Peacocks are not unlucky though there's an old tradition that they are - I remember as a child going to Harewood House and being disappointed that there were no peacocks! The Earl did not keep them among his bird collection due to them being "unlucky."

There are plenty of hotels that have peacocks, eg Monkey Island in London and Whitley Hall in Yorkshire. They do a lot of weddings and the birds don't bring bad luck. In fact, Justin the peacock at Whitley Hall is fantastic entertainment for the kids!

• M
    Beginner December 2015
    MrsW2b2016 ·
    • Hide content

All I know is that my grandad used to say it was unlucky to have a peacock feather in the house.

Unless you are really superstitious I wouldn't let it bother you xxx

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

The peacock shades or jewel colours are very popular for weddings. When I had my shop, I had peacock feathers for sale in a container in a corner and a lot of customers commented on the 'bad luck' . To be fair, they did bring me bad luck in a sense as nobody bought any! I didn't really want them in the house either so they ended up in the bin.

• Rosco298
    Beginner February 2014
    Rosco298 ·
    • Hide content

We have peacocks on our farm so I collected their feathers for my wedding. They were everywhere in the flowers, bridesmaids hair, table decorations, on my cake etc. So far so good we're still married!

• Rosco298
    Beginner February 2014
    Rosco298 ·
    • Hide content

We have peacocks on our farm so I collected their feathers for my wedding. They were everywhere in the flowers, bridesmaids hair, table decorations, on my cake etc. So far so good we're still married!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics