Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner July 2015

Pearls...... A sign of tears?

MrsB2015, 3 of July of 2014 at 23:01 Posted on Planning 0 14

My grandma always use to say pearls are a sign of tears but I personally can't imagine not wearing pearls on my wedding day.

What's your thoughts?

xx

14 replies

Latest activity by Aykay, 5 of July of 2014 at 23:13
  • M
    Beginner August 2014
    Mrslizziew2be ·
    • Hide content

My nan used to say your belly button is where god pressed your tummy to see if you were ready to be born!

Must be a nan thing to come out with random things!

iv never heard of pearls to be a sign of tears, and even if it is, it could mean happy tears?

• H
    Beginner November 2014
    Hisgirl ·
    • Hide content

I hope not, I'm wearing pearls. but I do remember reading something about it so looked it up and apparently there is a myth / superstition about pearls, both good and bad

Wearing pearls:
    To some, pearls represent future tears and are a bad sign. However, to others, the wearing of pearls takes the place of the bride's real tears, thus she'll have a happy, tear-free wedded life.

I'm going with the second bit.

• jayannfernandez
    jayannfernandez ·
    • Hide content

If you love to wear pearls on your wedding day, go ahead. I mean, it's the guy you love you're getting marred with that I believe you know inside out and besides, tears are inevitable. That's because of differences and as long as the guy loves and respects you, that won't be ruined because of wearing pearls. just my two cents Smiley smile

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content

I have never heard of that? I wore pearls on my wedding day and l know quite a lot of other people who did so as well

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

I'm not wearing them, but I've never heard that before. Here I was thinking I knew all these crazy superstitions, maybe not!

• jen-lou
    Super July 2016
    jen-lou ·
    • Hide content

It's only a superstition if you let it be one. They also say if it rains on your wedding day it's meant to be good luck, I think they just say that to make everyone feel better, lol.

• cosmictrout
    Beginner August 2014
    cosmictrout ·
    • Hide content

It's bad luck to be superstitious ;-)

• CrazyRatLady
    Expert September 2014
    CrazyRatLady ·
    • Hide content

Wear what you want, it's just superstition! I'm having a black dress and ruby jewellery, god knows what that means in cosmic terms!

• pink & glitz
    Beginner August 2014
    pink & glitz ·
    • Hide content

Go for it, I am wearing pearls too x

• smilesjp
    Beginner July 2015
    smilesjp ·
    • Hide content

I've never heard of pearls resembling tears, I personally think they look beautiful!

• MadamRed
    Beginner April 2017
    MadamRed ·
    • Hide content

I first heard this when I was doing GCSE English, during our analysis of The Duchess of Malfi, a 17th Century play. In the play, the Duchess has a dream that the diamonds in her coronet "were turned all to pearls". For audiences of the time, that was a forewarning - and eventually the Duchess is parted from her husband and imprisoned, and she, her lady-in-waiting and her children are all slaughtered.

I've never been particularly fond of pearls anyway, but this superstition seems to have stuck with me more than the others which we learnt about and I definitely won't be wearing them (real or fake) or having them in my decor on my wedding day.

• Melancholie
    Beginner December 2014
    Melancholie ·
    • Hide content

Yes, I'd heard you're not supposed to wear pearls on your wedding day. I'm wearing them anyway, though. My late father bought me a pearl necklace when I was 19 and I'm wearing that so that there's something of him with me on the day. I've had earrings and a hair accessory made to compliment the necklace and my shoes have pearl detailing on as well. He bought my mum a double string of pearls which she wore for their wedding and they had many years of happiness, so I'm going with pearls he bought being good luck. Any tears mine represent will be for him missing my day and never getting to meet the man who made his daughter happy.

• A
    Beginner July 2014
    Aykay ·
    • Hide content

My dress is covered on fake ones and my earrings and necklace are fake pearls too. Pearl is the birthstone of us both so I reckon that cancels out the supposed negative superstition. Annoyingly tho one of my bm is refusing to wear them saying they are bad luck....totally buggered up my bm jewellery plans. I was about to write that I am not at all superstitious.....then realised I decided against a may wedding and wanted a thursday wedding because of old traditions/superstitions.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics