Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

MadamRed
Beginner April 2017

Pear-shaped brides, fitted dresses?

MadamRed, 4 of May of 2015 at 13:10 Posted on Planning 0 9

I'm trying to avoid any form of dress shopping, because I'm pretty certain I won't find anything in my budget in a bridal store and I know if I try on something I can't afford and love it, I'll be devastated. I really don't like anything in any of the high street shops, so it's almost definite that I'll be buying online (although, to be honest, I'm not even finding anything that wows me there either).

Here's my dilemma: I am rather pear-shaped. I have curvy hips and bum (nice and toned from years of dance and running). When I behave and stick to my healthy eating and workouts, I have a nice nipped in waist, but I don't have much of a bust. There's usually about a dress size difference between my hips and my top.

I'd love to buy a column/sheath dress, but friends keep sending me links like

9 replies

Latest activity by kimiu, 7 of May of 2015 at 14:15
  • S
    Beginner May 2015
    sarah.jones ·
    • Hide content

Firstly let me say you have a great figure ! Totally get how you feel about empire line dresses ! I'm a lot bigger than you and look like I'm about to drop triplets in that style haha x have you considered a fishtail shape dress, I've found this shape to be very flattering especially when you've got hips &a bum. Budget was important to me so a trad bridal shop was out the question. Have you thought about a bridal outlet store ? Lots of choice. Also there is a designer in aflecks palace in Manchester who makes fab dresses price is under £200. I was tempted to buy on lone but got put off as I was on such a budget if it wasn't right I'd be stuck with no dress. I think you will defo find something beautiful !! Good luck xx

• B
    Beginner May 2016
    Boro_Bex ·
    • Hide content

I am a similar shape to you and fitted dresses looked much better on me than I expected. I tried one on to rule it out and ended up feeling more confused! I went for a ballgown in the end but I'm sure there'll be something out there for you in the style you want.

• Daisy Bell
    Beginner August 2015
    Daisy Bell ·
    • Hide content

I was going to suggest A-line until I read where you said you don't want that. I would suggest looking at fishtail dresses.

I would also not give up yet on the bridal shops. I found my dress at one, it was a (A-line, heh) sample in my size and only cost £250 (new £750). I also tried another dress which was also a sample at £250 which was lovely too, just not as nice as my dress, so there are definitely options out there. Maybe phone around to find out if any are having sample sales.

I also was really impressed with the bridal shop I went to by how many dresses they had under £1000 - I expected most to be over, but almost all of the ones they had were under £1000. Probably because it wasn't a super posh shop and they cater to the budget of people shopping there... But I really preferred that to a really posh boutique.

• Calella
    Beginner August 2016
    Calella ·
    • Hide content

I'm an hour glass verging on pear shaped. OH feels the same way about me wearing fitted dresses! My mum HATES the idea though. Doesn't want "people looking at me like that" which makes little sense since it's my wedding, but it's fine to go out to a nightclub in a formfitting dress?

I'd say try it anyway. I did, and I think they're lovely on! You can get some beautiful fitted dresses that have a more see through layer going out in an a-line so it's a bit more subtle.

Have you tried looking at prom dresses instead? As soon as you put the word bridal on anything it goes through the roof!

• F
    Beginner August 2016
    Fruityxx ·
    • Hide content

Wow you have an amazing figure! I think a fitted dress would definitely suit you, especially a fishtail/mermaid as it will highlight your tiny waist Smiley smile x

• HelenSomerset
    Beginner September 2014
    HelenSomerset ·
    • Hide content

I am pretty much the same shape as you - hourglass verging on pear shaped (but shorter probably). I agree with other posters that if you want to go for a fitted style, a fishtail or mermaid dress looks best. I did a bit of extra padding with a strapless wonderbra and a belt to emphasise the waist too.

You've a gorgeous figure. Don't blame you for wanting to show it off!

• estilomodabridal
    estilomodabridal ·
    • Hide content

Looking at your body shape, I definitely think you can pull off a mermaid wedding dress. We have designed mermaid wedding dresses for ladies with pear shapes quite a number of times. It may be an idea to have more of the detail around the bodice so it has the illusion of balancing you out more. Do you see what I mean?

• M
    Beginner August 2015
    Mrsmalpass ·
    • Hide content

I have a similar shape i would say, i love mermaid dresses i will show you mine to put your mind at rest i have quite large hips, small waist and small top half, the dress needs altering on my chest and lower leg but you get the picture

• kimiu
    Beginner June 2015
    kimiu ·
    • Hide content

• kimiu
    Beginner June 2015
    kimiu ·
    • Hide content

Oops it's on its side!

I.am a 10 top and 14 bottom and this is me the shop sample of my dress. The one in the pic is a 10. I ordered a 14 to ensure it went over my hips and that I could sit down and the seamstress just altered.the bodice to fit my smaller top half.

H2b loves my curves.... Just as well because they ain't going nowhere haha!

Don't shy away from a fitted dress....the right style and fit will be amazing on you.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics