Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

A
Savvy June 2023 Essex

People asking for others to attend Wedding

Alison, 2 of February of 2022 at 06:54 Posted on Etiquette and Advice 3 13

Hi, I know this has been mentioned before but we really dont want relatives asking for invites for boyfriends/girlfriends who are pretty new in their lives. This is partly because we dont want to be paying for people who may well not be on the scene in a couple of months and equally it is not a huge wedding so we dont want the photos filled with people we dont know.

We are getting stationery printed soon and we are going with writing tge names on of those who are invited rather than saying "you" are invited since we know tge latter may well cause some confusion!

We are thinking of adding a footnote to say "We politely request no other guests please".

Has anyone else done this?

13 replies

Latest activity by Ana, 15 of February of 2022 at 15:25
  • Jane
    Dedicated June 2022 Bristol
    Jane ยท
    • Hide content
    I feel your pain! Why do people think itโ€™s ok to expect their invite to include a plus one that a) hasnโ€™t been around long and/or b) weโ€™ve never met! Weโ€™ve had two family members ask to bring a plus one before even telling us their new partnerโ€™s nameโ€ฆ
    We sent invites to named people and have a website that includes an FAQ section which explicitly states no plus ones but that doesnโ€™t stop people askingโ€ฆ
    All we can do is stick to our guns - we have a hard limit of how many people can fit in our venue and Iโ€™m also not wanting to pay for people who we donโ€™t know/probably wonโ€™t be around in a few months/years. I still feel bad that my bf of the time (who I had been with for years) is in a number of my brotherโ€™s wedding photos and donโ€™t want the same thing to happen with ours!Be strong and firm - it is your wedding after all! Good luck x
  • Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ยท
    • Hide content
    You could add a note to say:

Plesae note this invite is for the named invitee/s only. Unfortunately due to space limits at our venue we are not able to add a plus one/children, so please do not ask as we cannot accommodate these request and will have to respectfully decline.
    We have the same issue and have said partners are welcome to the evening and we will discuss with them nearer the time. The website is good as you can link partners so when they RSVP it will only being upnthem or the named people linked to them
  • Anonbride
    Expert July 2023 Cornwall
    Anonbride ยท
    • Hide content

We're explicitly stating names on invites and have put a section on our wedding website about the fact that the guest count is small so we've had to draw some carefully considered lines in terms of how far we'll be extending invites that asks everyone to respect our decisions and allow us to make these as a couple. That being said, we have left a couple of spots free (our wedding is 18months away) in case anyone in our bridal party that's currently single finds themselves in a serious relationship between now and the wedding. If anyone asks, I'm just going to say that as much as I know they'd like their new bf/gf there, we just don't have the space to do this so are only inviting serious partners who we already know well and can't allow any exceptions as we need to be fair to all our guests.

• Hayley
    Dedicated August 2024 East Sussex
    Hayley ยท
    • Hide content
    Just dont give them a plus one but if they ask just explain you dont know them well enough and your not trying to be horrible you know they mean alot to that person bit it's your big day. Maybe if you get your vows renewed in the future they can be there for that party?
  • A
    Savvy June 2023 Essex
    Alison ยท
    • Hide content

Yes I am definitely going to stand firm

• Kayleigh
    Rockstar October 2023 Bristol
    Kayleigh ยท
    • Hide content
    My response to any "oooh will I/so and so get an invite?!" is: I'm quite limited sorry! At ยฃ46 a head just for food I can't invite everyone!"
  • D
    Beginner March 2022 Norfolk
    Dillon ยท
    • Hide content
    I'm glad someone else is going through the same dilemma! My FH's two sisters and cousin has asked this and actually, we had three people drop out just before, so we said yes. But... since saying yes, one sister has already split up with their partner (they were only together around 2 months) which is rather awkward. We've allowed Plus Ones for those who won't know others at the wedding, but I wish people would normalise only inviting people we know... we would only end up with half our guests we want there if we gave everyone a plus one!

• K
    Beginner May 2023 Aberdeen & Deeside
    Karen ยท
    • Hide content
    Crikey! Iโ€™m amazed at people asking to take someone along. Glad this is here so Iโ€™m prepared with my reply if asked. I am just providing the names invitee and thatโ€™s it. Wow canโ€™t wait to see who is brave enough to ask lol
  • A
    Savvy May 2022 Norfolk
    Ana ยท
    • Hide content
    I'm on the same boat, FH invited one of his work colleagues and to be honest that guy changes girlfriends like I change my clothes ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ, so he got an invitation just as 1 person, fast forward its past the RSVP due date and my fiance had to basically chase this guy down for an answer as we need to plan the tables, today he finally got hold of him and he said I will check if I'm available ( so inconsiderated as he had the inviation for 2 months) and he said I need to speak with the new girlfriend if she is going, I was like hmmm hell no, told my fiance to tell him that the invitations are not plus one and we actually have limited spaces, besides I don't want "weekly" girlfriends and people who I don't know at my wedding, the audacity of certain people these days is amazing ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ
  • Jas
    Curious November 2024 Oxfordshire
    Jas ยท
    • Hide content
    We are the same, we donโ€™t want people in our photos that might not be around in a few years, we donโ€™t want to look back at photos and wish people werenโ€™t in them, so we are going to do something very similar to this, we are going to say partners are welcome for the evening, but just close friends and family for the day.
  • Katie
    Beginner October 2022 Derbyshire
    Katie ยท
    • Hide content
    Do it! We wrote specific names and I'm now wishing I'd put a note on as we've had our first, "is his girlfriend invited?." Wouldn't mind but it's a cousin he barely sees who's kicked up the fuss. FH caved and set a precedent so his other cousin has a plus one now too... ๐Ÿ˜’
  • Marcy
    Beginner February 2022 Middlesex
    Marcy ยท
    • Hide content

We are feeling your pain. im getting married in 10 days. When we announced our date, I personally contacted my invites and said no other halves because id never met them and I didn't want randomers pitching up and staring at the walls in the evening. Unless they actually made an effort to meet me first. Which is what tends to happen. Not only that, I don't want people starting at me at my wedding and criticising my dress. I know that the ones I invited would never do that. To reinforce it, I said our numbers were very limited and we could only fit 50 of our friends at the wedding breakfast. Numbers limited are a good excuse. My friends were great about it because they relished the thought of getting away from their families after being cooped up with them over lockdown! Unfortunately my partner has now told me that his ex work colleagues have asked to bring their other half (randomers) and he has said yes. At 70 per head I begrudge paying for other halves after having agreed with mine that they should not bring theirs.

Sorry for the rant. And now having made a list of photographs I want, one is all girls in one with us. But there will be 2 randomers in there and I dont want to appear rude by keeping them out. People only want to bring their other halves because it's a black tie affair. What do I say to them or how do I word it?

• A
    Savvy May 2022 Norfolk
    Ana ยท
    • Hide content
    This subject is really becoming annoying from my part and I'm getting so fed up ๐Ÿ˜–๐Ÿ˜– today my fiance cousin texted him and asked if he could bring his new girlfriend ( I knew he was going to do this as over the weekend he posted on Facebook that he had a new gf, so I spoke with my fiance and we agreed no more people) well today my fiance completely threw me under the bus replying to his cousin that he doesn't mind but I'm the one who doesn't her there, (true as I do not know her at all) I'm completely fuming as he is portraying me as this massive b.... over his family and I just had enough with this wedding, so I texted him from now on he can invite whoever he wants but he also needs to finish the planning the venue and so on, I'm completely done with this wedding and I do regret not having a simple thing. ๐Ÿ˜–๐Ÿ˜–๐Ÿ˜–

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics