Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

havecreditwillwed
Beginner August 2013

People having arguments with their Mums...

havecreditwillwed, 3 of July of 2013 at 21:16 Posted on Planning 0 13

I realised something a bit sad tonight.

I asked my Mum if she would be a witness for us and sign the documents. I really wanted her to do it because my Mum has Motor Neurone Disease and she has had it for 6 years - most people only live 18 months. For a long time I wondered if she would be alive to see me get married, to help me choose my dress and my jewellery and all my things, and watch me walk down the aisle, and I am so lucky that she is still here because I know that not everyone does have their Mum still and I could not be more grateful!

But tonight she told me that she is sorry, she cannot be a witness, because the muscles in her hands are too weak now to hold a pen and she cannot write at all any more. It made me feel really sad. She could still just about write her name a few weeks ago, but now she can't.

Sorry if this makes you feel sad too, but please, if you are having arguments with your Mum, please do pause and think about it - you only get one Mum, and they are as precious as can be.

xxx

13 replies

Latest activity by flowersinherhair, 4 of July of 2013 at 07:49
  • *MM3*
    Beginner June 2014
    *MM3* ·
    • Hide content

So sorry to hear this Smiley sad
    I very rarely argue with my mum i'm happy to say, she's my best friend and we get on so well & she does everything she can to help me.
    Can't imagine what you're going through as my mum has a tremor and was told it will most likely develop into parkinsons disease , I cried every night when she found out and it's one of my biggest fears losing her. She's doing really well though and your mum sounds like a real star and incredibly strong. I completely agree mums are so precious and it can be hard to forget. I'm here if you ever need to chat about anything and i'm sure everyone else too.

Also - I know it's different but my little boy was page boy at my brothers wedding and was only 2 at the time so couldn't write his name and the lady said even if he can manage a scribble or even a line they just need something, know it might not be ideal and your mum might not like it but if she could in any way have her hand guided and sign the papers don't know if it'd be worth thinking about? Sorry if that's no help but just a thought, i'm sure you'll have a great day and she'll be incredibly proud either way x

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

Oh goodness havecreditwillwed I am really sorry to read this. That is awful, no wonder you are sad ☹️

I completely agree with your last sentence. Time is precious.

• Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content

Soo sorry. My gran died from MND several yrs ago now. Horrible illness, no idea how your Mum is progressing, but if her speech is intact, can she do a reading? Gran's speech was sadly the first thing to go, then her hands so she couldn't even type speak. Sadly I lived abroad at the time and didn't realise the progression. In your position anything you can do that includes your Mum should be a priority.

• C
    Rockstar August 2013
    cherrybloom ·
    • Hide content

So true HCWW!! Puts things in perspective even the whole wedding thing and how its really about the marriage..virtual hug ?

• LoveBug1950
    Beginner May 2015
    LoveBug1950 ·
    • Hide content

Sorry to hear that.

Wise words and i totally agree. I never argue with my mum, life is too short.

• B
    Beginner July 2013
    Bride to be Becky from Derbyshire ·
    • Hide content

Sending you hugs. X

• Forever Wedding Dance
    Rockstar September 2013
    Forever Wedding Dance ·
    • Hide content

So sorry to read this but it's a really important message about how we can argue with our nearest and dearest at this time. The important thing is that she will be there with you, everything else is details xx

• Mrspetal
    Beginner February 2014
    Mrspetal ·
    • Hide content

Know how you feel my mum is very ill and spends 18 hours of the day asleep as she's on so many meds and Is in constant pain.

Life sucks.

• Ohwhatatuesday
    Beginner May 2014
    Ohwhatatuesday ·
    • Hide content

So sorry to hear this xx

• S
    Beginner December 2014
    Soontobe_mrsG ·
    • Hide content

Life is precious, and I can feel for you. My dad has dementia, and whilst we've known for ages, and its apparent in every day, some days its more "shocking" than others,

He is physically quite well, and enjoys doing things to help so last weekend he helped OH and I do some house related things, at the end of the day he asked me to remind him what we'd done as he couldn't remember, and it shocked me all over again ..

We have time still before we marry, and the one thing that worries me is hoping Dad will be ok for the wedding, we've planned around how we can make things ok, and spoken to the registrar, and we have some alternatives that will work

I do argue with my mum, and I do wish she wanted to be more part of the fun of planning our wedding, but I love her to pieces and try to work around her as best we can, because she is my one and only mum xxxx

• Bookish
    Beginner August 2014
    Bookish ·
    • Hide content

I'm really sorry you're going through that. I have a great relationship with my mum and we rarely argue but this has out other things iinto perspective for me so thank you.

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content

❤️ HCWW

i don't want to go into details but boyos ma has several problems and she struggles a lot, more than we like to admit, we are just so happy she is here and with us along the process that nothing else matters.

• flowersinherhair
    Beginner April 2014
    flowersinherhair ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ahh sorry it's understandable you feel so upset big massive hugs. I know what you mean though, I know people have arguments with family members and that's part and parcel of life, but if people knew what it was like not having those people there, or like in your case having to watch them suffer, they would think twice. I'm so sorry again xxxx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics