Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Red Baroness
Beginner July 2012

People self inviting to wedding!

Red Baroness, 21 of June of 2010 at 14:34 Posted on Planning 0 12

Went to BBQ over the weekend at OH's friend's house. They are friends, but he hasn't seen him for over a year, so not what we would class as a close friend. Anyway, OH dropped the good news briefly into the conversation and during the evening the friend made comments about the wedding as if he's already been invited, and about others who were at the BBQ that I've never even met! He may be disappointed as we are only having a small wedding, so only inviting close relatives and very close friends.

Just wondering if this happens to everyone???

12 replies

Latest activity by buggerlugs, 21 of June of 2010 at 17:50
  • B
    Beginner July 2010
    brideseekingblush ·
    • Hide content

I think just ignore it.

Colleague at work was dropping hints but we just didn't invite him when the time came to it. We had people also say "oh but you've got to invite such and such" no, we haven't, we'll invite who we want ta!

• Beckyv83
    Beginner September 2010
    Beckyv83 ·
    • Hide content

I think this is pretty normal people seem to think they can just invite themselves to is or just assume they are coming anyway.

I had one girl just blatantly just come out and ask me if i could book her a room at the hotel, and this was back in January because she wanted to have somewhere to take her child for a nap!!!! Wtf.

I said to her, look i havent even began to look at my guest list yet, even so kids are not invited! Didnt go down too well!!

Just invite who you want and ignore the other comments!

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It makes me not want to mention that we are getting married in case people ask when the date is, and then expect to be invited!!

OMG. I just don't get it. I would never just assume I'm invited (unless we are incredibly close friends/family and it goes without saying).

• Shnarfy1
    Beginner November 2010
    Shnarfy1 ·
    • Hide content

A lot of people have made the assumption that they are invited to our wedding but it's mainly been people we couldn't care less about so we have found it quite easy to just say outright "It's family only." Also, H2Bs sister assumed she was invited THE ABSOLUTE CHEEK. When we first started dating she purposely tried to sabotage our relationship and told me a lot of cruel lies in the hope that I would leave, THEN she has the cheek to expect an invite?! I told her outright that she wasn't invited but then it sparked the whole "you have to, she's family" debate. At the end of the day you do not HAVE to invite anyone you don't want present regardless of whether they are friend, family or stranger. The main thing is that you are surrounded by people who love you both.

• Houdini
    Beginner August 2010
    Houdini ·
    • Hide content

I think it's best to ignore it as well. With 2 years to go it's far enough in the future for you not to have to even think about these things yet.

Laugh it off.

• Amethyst
    Beginner October 2010
    Amethyst ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Exactly what Raef said. You'll probably find that when the times come you'll not invite people you thought you would, and invite people you may not have even met yet!

But yes, my friends mum invited herself when I wasn't even engaged. And then a group of girls outside of my main friendship groups who would probably have been on the evening invite list, asked me outright if they would be invited just after we got engaged. They are all coming ... I decided not to sweat it, the friends mum can help my friend with her baby. Most of my closer friends have babies or children so I figured the other friends who were keen to come would be the party crowd as none of them have kids! I have also had my mum trying to invite the children of her partner (grown up with their own children & I've met them once!) but I side stepped that & ignored her hints.

• froggy29400
    Beginner October 2010
    froggy29400 ·
    • Hide content

Yes it happened to us, H2B's auntie phoned to ask when it was as she was about to book her holiday... At that time we were not sure yet if we were going to have a small affair or a bigger do!

I was shocked!

• D
    Beginner
    darkivy ·
    • Hide content

Yep! This is pretty similar to one of my posts a while back.

One of OH's old friends who we invited for the evening (at OH's request when I did suggest an all day invite), called OH, and told him he wanted to come all day not just to the reception, and that he had recently got in contact with 4 old mutual school friends and he was bringing them! That would have been 6 extra dinners and drinks that we had not budgeted for! OH got a telling off and had to call him back and tell him he was not bringing people not already on the list. I thought it was incredibly cheeky, but maybe it is the norm!!

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That is the most outrageous story yet! Unbelievably rude!!!

• VikingPrincess
    Beginner December 2011
    VikingPrincess ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

OH YES it does LOL! I had lots of people auto-inviting themselves: from neighbours to a former boss who on hearing the news asked me to remind her to buy a new hat even though I had no intention of inviting her and to be honest we hadn't exactly gotten along that well either! Oh and even my OH's mother with whom he hasn't spoken in over 6 years and who is divorced from his father. I mean without too many details, the cheek of the woman! She lied about having cancer. Caused my OH to leave the career in RAF he had to look after her, took loans from bank to help her out and it turns out she had no cancer! Then she sends bailiffs after HIM when she didn't pay bills and stuff with the money he gave her!!!

• tinks269
    Beginner February 2011
    tinks269 ·
    • Hide content

Not exactly the same but when speaking to my mum one day she asked how much it was per person for the day. I told her then did a double take and asked why, her reply was that she wanted to konw how much she would have to pay me if she mentioned the wedding to any of her friends and they wanted to come along!!! I took breathe and then told her what i thought.

• buggerlugs
    Beginner June 2012
    buggerlugs ·
    • Hide content

Grrr I hate it when people 'presume'

OH Mum commented 'but what about so and so....' and I replied, well we can't as it'll only hold a certain amount of people (the venue) and she had a right bag on!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics