Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B
Beginner August 2013

Peover golf club - too small??

butterfly2016, 1 November, 2012 at 08:51 Posted on Planning 0 17

I posted a few weeks ago about barn venues near Manchester and someone on here suggested Peover golf club. I love it but worried it is too small. We're having roughly 80 in the day and 100 ish at night. Just so gutted as I love it. I'm also thinking of Davenport Green but have heard some bad reviews - is this still true?

17 replies

Latest activity by Kjay, 27 November, 2012 at 22:06
  • kitty83
    Beginner March 2014
    kitty83 ·
    • Hide content

We went to look at Peover and although it is really pretty, it is quite small! Not sure what their official capacities are, but we felt that especially in the evening with 100 people, it would be very crowded. The bar area is also not that big and we thought get guests might get a bit claustrophobic as there isn't much outside space either. I'd go and look though and see what you think Smiley smile not been to Davenport Green so can't help you there, sorry!

• M
    Beginner February 2013
    MonJ ·
    • Hide content

I would avoid Davenport Green if I were you. I have heard some awful reports, mainly about double bookings taking place...

Have you looked at Sandhole Oak Barn? Or Styal Lodge? Both would be large enough for what you want and both are gorgeous!

• B
    Beginner August 2013
    butterfly2016 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks to both of you.

We've looked at Styal Lodge and loved it but thought it was expensive. Will try Sandhole but assume it will be similar. It is a shame about Davenport green but reviews aren't good.

Kitty83 did you find any similar to Peover? I'm getting desperate!

• Elixia
    Beginner March 2014
    Elixia ·
    • Hide content

I thought Sandhole Oak Barn was expensive for its size and limited grounds, been to peover and i know what you mean. have you looked at the ashes near stoke?

• Nicola_84uk
    Beginner October 2013
    Nicola_84uk ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Aw, sorry it wasn't suitable for you. If I come across anything else I'll let you know. Good luck with the search x

• Elixia
    Beginner March 2014
    Elixia ·
    • Hide content
  • B
    Beginner August 2013
    butterfly2016 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

No thank you for suggesting it as it is as close to 'the one' as we've seen. I love it but think it is too small but it is beautiful!

I've tries The Ashes - I loved it but it was so expensive and also really booked up.

Is it just me who is having such problems finding a venue. I feel like I'll never get married at this rate!

• Nicola_84uk
    Beginner October 2013
    Nicola_84uk ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Don't worry. It's a big decision to make and it needs to be right for you. I promise you will find something.

• Elixia
    Beginner March 2014
    Elixia ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

No, i had this problem too. i live in the same (ish) area and found it hard to be on budget and get a barn looking venue. In the end i had to re-think what i wanted, what was important, which of course is the marriage. i ended up looking venues i dismissed as too modern and city based and loved them! sometimes you need to step out of your comfort zone and you maybe surprised

• kitty83
    Beginner March 2014
    kitty83 ·
    • Hide content

Nope not just you! We looked at loads of places in Manchester/Cheshire and couldn't find anywhere we both liked within budget, we ended up booking Ripley Castle in North Yorkshire as its nearer our families. Is it specifically a barn venue you're looking for? The Hunting Lodge at Adlington Hall has a barn kind of feel to it and I think they do quite reasonable packages, it's quite large too so could easily accommodate your numbers. Other than that, can't think of anywhere that hasn't already been suggested!

• B
    Beginner August 2013
    butterfly2016 ·
    • Hide content

This is a very late thank you to everyone who replied. Well, we talked about it a lot but we decided we would worry too much. We're going to keep looking. Just can't see us ever booking a venue at this rate and feel like just getting married just us, feel so fed up! We won't though as really want to have family and main friends there. If anyone has any other ideas of rustic feel venues near Manchester or Huddersfield areas then please let me know!

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

Hi lovely

I don't know these venues but i've been having a quick look. Are these any good?

https://northorpebarn.co.uk/

https://www.hitched.co.uk/wedding-venues/huddersfield.htm

http://www.barn-wedding-venues.co.uk/

• J
    jules40 ·
    • Hide content

Have you looked at Rivington barn near Bolton? And Davenport Green is every bit as bad as the reviews. Have you tried looking at other venues not just Barns? you might just see something you really fall in love with.

• B
    Beginner August 2013
    butterfly2016 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you to both of you, those threads gave me some more ideas although I have visited some of those places.

As for Rivington Barn it requires higher minimum numbers than I will be having. It is a shame but I won't be getting in touch with Davenport Green as heard so many negative reviews. I must have searched the internet for hours and hours now!

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hello!

This is why we didn't book Riv Barn which is a shame cause we are getting married at Rivington Church!

Our reception is The Windmill at Tabley- its a pub / inn and we love it thought I would suggest it for you too Smiley smile

https://www.thewindmillattabley.co.uk/weddings_functions.html

• B
    Beginner August 2013
    butterfly2016 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you for your help, it looks gorgeous and my sort of thing! It might be too small for us as we want about 100/110 ish at night. Did you have any other places on your list as maybes that are similar?

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content

Fraid nothing similar springs to mind! I will keep my eye out for you- something will fit the bill for you!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics