Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

Perhaps as controversial as an owl ringbearer?!

27 of August of 2012 at 18:51 Posted on Planning 0 31

Hello All!

Right...... I must be a glutton for punishment, but can I have opinions on another one of my "out there" ideas? I've come across duck herding, and being a feathered friend lover, I thought this might be a fun way to get people mingling and having a bit of fun. Would you get stuck in and have a go? (I'd have flipflops for any girlies in high heels who want a go)

Feel free to chuck cold water on this idea like the owl one.....

31 replies

Latest activity by Rhys Parker, 28 of August of 2012 at 15:34
  • Pink Han-bag
    Beginner March 2013
    Pink Han-bag ·
    • Hide content

I'd be at the bar with a drink and thinking the people doing it were mad!

It sounds mental, and good fun but not my idea of wedding entertainment. You might think my wedding sounds boring though Smiley winking

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

Duck herding???

Sorry pass me that hose. ha

• rachel2012
    Expert June 2024
    rachel2012 ·
    • Hide content

Actually feel a little sick at the thought of that, but then im so afraid of ducks that I abandoned my daughter in her push chair when we got surrounded by some 5 years ago *hangs her head in shame at the memory*

• RebTheEck
    Beginner August 2013
    RebTheEck ·
    • Hide content

I've done it once using sheepdogs controlled by sounds but that was at a team building event - interesting to watch but at a wedding? Really?

If I went to a wedding and the bride & groom had arranged something like this I would be wondering when the men in white coats were due to arrive!

• katiechops
    Beginner June 2013
    katiechops ·
    • Hide content

Ha, it would be fun to watch but its still a no from me, ive got visions of being coverd in duck poop!

• ~Peanut~
    Beginner December 2012
    ~Peanut~ ·
    • Hide content

I don't think I understand it, what actually is it? How does it work?

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content

I love you mrsyard2b!!! hehe

I would love to watch it, me and the o/h randomly love ducks!

Not sure about 'everyone' having a go, could get hectic- maybe you could give it as a present to the best man or something ??! (obv you and hubby would have to have a go) but then no one else feels like they should do it and can all have a giggle just watching!

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

?! hehe

• tortoise
    tortoise ·
    • Hide content

I don't think it's a horrible idea, esp as you obviously love feathery things. I am a bit concerned that it's slghtly mean though. Chasing poor little ducks around for your amusement? If it wasn't mean then I would DEFINITELY join in, but I'd feel too much like a little kid chasing around animals tormenting them. I prefer the owl.

• Alreadymarried
    Alreadymarried ·
    • Hide content

Just seems a bit gimmicky to me if I'm honest. Sort of thing you might find at a fete.

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content

Get the guests to do the assault course instead, and leave the little ducks be. The guests will work up an appetite too!

• misslaura
    Beginner September 2012
    misslaura ·
    • Hide content

It's a novel idea, I would be worried about when people had a few drinks though! Also you don't want everyone distracted by it perhaps and no one mingling, chatting etc?

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

If you want to do it then do it, but I don't get why weddings need this sort of entertainment?

I think it's cruel and unnecessary.

• BlueBow
    Beginner December 2013
    BlueBow ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This!

Get the guests to do an obstacle course. Ducks aren't meant to be herded; it's cruel and unnecessary to do so. If I was at a wedding where this was the 'entertainment' i'd go inside and sit at the bar.

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

I just wanted to add if I attended a wedding as a guest that had this (or any other form of entertainment I would not choose for myself) I would never judge or think badly of it I would just get on and enjoy it if that is what the bride and groom had chosen for their day fair play to them.

• RedKitchie
    Beginner August 2013
    RedKitchie ·
    • Hide content

I have just read the owl thread so I'm starting to see that you love birds Mrsyard2b! I did falconry inc. owls and I'd love to have an owl at my wedding, though probably outside in a display. Can you do that rather than duck herding? Or, set up your own bird petting zoo?

I'd love our dog to be involved in the church but after his shaming antics at the SIL's wedding, no one thinks it is a good idea.☹️

• Figs
    Beginner June 2012
    Figs ·
    • Hide content

This for me too.

• Mrs*W*2B
    Beginner August 2014
    Mrs*W*2B ·
    • Hide content

I think it works if you are having your wedding on a farm or you are having a country fete theme but not really otherwise...my friend did this (not at a wedding!) and actually said it was really fun, think it was a team building day at work so would get guests that didn't know each other chatting...im presuming you have an instructor telling guests what to do? otherwise as someone else said it could end up a load of drunk adults chasing poor ducks around a field....also i'd have to look into the cruelty of it a bit more before i picked anything to do with hearding animals for my wedding entertainment haha x

• RedKitchie
    Beginner August 2013
    RedKitchie ·
    • Hide content

I don't think it sounds cruel. The dog is trained to do this so it must be a necessary part of the handlers farm. If sheep herding by dog was cruel there wouldn't be an annual competition of it. It doesn't sound like adults chasing ducks, they just control the dog using whistle commands. The dog is professional and won't want to chase the birds. I think it sounds fun and will be something people haven't experienced before. I would love to have a go!

• RedKitchie
    Beginner August 2013
    RedKitchie ·
    • Hide content

LoOk for a local enthusiasts club and ask if you can visit someone. You might even be able to find a hobbyist who will come to the wedding cheaply. If you love birds then do what you want at your wedding. I am going to have our nutty dog involved, even if he repeats the bum dragging squealing in the marquee during speeches. It did make everyone laugh.

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

It sounds like an ace thing to do, just not sure it's the sort of thing I'd love to do at a wedding.

• SingleNoMore
    Beginner April 2013
    SingleNoMore ·
    • Hide content

Ducks aside (and I agree with the others I'm afraid!) can I just say THANK YOU for posting this pic, it absolutely made my day! Wasn't in a great mood this morning but am now crying with laughter at the expression on the little guy's face! Absolutely brilliant. (clearly just my warped sense of humour but who cares!)

• ~Peanut~
    Beginner December 2012
    ~Peanut~ ·
    • Hide content

RedKitchie: Horses die at the Grand National and that still goes on every year. But that's a whole other issue I probably shouldn't get into!

I don't know enough about duck herding to know if it is cruel but it does seem a bit unnecessary. I don't know where you're getting married but unless you're getting married on a farm it would probably seem a bit random, and I'm not a girly girl but even I would be reluctant to get stuck in with farm animals when I'm wearing a nice dress. But only you know whether it's something your guests would enjoy.

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

I think it's a bit bizarre but if you and your OH like birds then I can see why it appeals. I would be concerned about guests getting bitten, bird poo and feathers everywhere and on people's outfits, and also having the time to fit these types of activities in.

• kyanya
    Beginner June 2013
    kyanya ·
    • Hide content

Mrsyard2b, what do I need to do to get an invite to your wedding?! It sounds like my ideal day, I would just love a wedding with owls and duck herding ? Definitely wouldn't be forgetting your wedding in a hurry!

• Rhys Parker
    Rhys Parker ·
    • Hide content

WSS ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics