Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

MrsV-wasMissB
Beginner August 2015

Periods!! Annoyed as f0000000k!!

MrsV-wasMissB, 13 of May of 2015 at 09:59 Posted on Planning 0 21

Can you effin' believe it??? Having started my period 3 days late (again! Im usually so regular!) I’ve updated my Period Calender…… Due to how many times i've been late this year (more than usual!!) I'm now due on 3-4 days before the wedding, when up til start of the year, I was on track to miss the wedding and honeymoon – so if I am on time i'll be on the back end of a period so not the worst, but still l not great

If I have just 1 late month between then and now I'll be on my worst/heaviest 2 days during the wedding and having the terrible emotions in the run up to the day!!!! (I had my first pre-menstrual panic attack on Sunday since last June and it was horrid!) . Never mind the fact I have to take tablets to control my bleeding as its so heavy anyway and rattle around for 4 days with the amount of ibroprofen I take to help the pain, its an August wedding and I have a long thick dress!!!! What if I get blood on the dress? Its bad enough changing pads in hot weather and big clothes as it is and I can't use tampons.

This is not good!!!!!!

Not sure those pills to delay it are a good idea as last time I had them I suffered BADLY when my period finally came. From memory I think it 'resets' your cycle?? Currently I'm due to be on the week before the honeymoon, so delaying my cycle a week will mean i'm due on 5 days into my honeymoon too!!!!!! Meaning the horrible emotional lead up (I don’t bode well, doctor advised of PMDD) plus being actually “on” in a very hot country.

And as I type that I realise, my Hen Weekend with a full day spa, is exactly 4 weeks before the wedding!!

OH MY DAYS!!!!!

:’( :’(

21 replies

Latest activity by lafalot, 16 of May of 2015 at 21:46
  • InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

I can empathise. My cycle is very short and irregular as I'm in perimenopause. I watched my calendar like a hawk in the months leading up to my wedding but of course, I ended up having my period on the day.

I considered Norethisterone but after a lot of reading, rejected it as I heard a few horror stories about its effects on emotional state. I suffer terribly with PMT and didn't want to do anything that might exacerbate that.

All I can say is it may not be as bad as you fear. I had virtually no PMT or cramps as the excitement and nerves of the day just took over. Thankfully I had gone for practical and not delicate underwear so that wasn't an issue. I was upset in the days following but that may have been hormones or just the old post-wedding crash - maybe a bit of both.

Make sure you have good sturdy underwear and if you don't already, a handbag so you can have towels and painkillers on hand. I didn't wear a traditional gown so I don't know about the difficulties of bathroom issues while wearing them - hopefully you have an understanding BM who can help! But don't wear suspenders if it can be avoided as they can be a tussle at the best of times.

As for sexy times on the night, yeah, they'll probably be out the window. But most OMs will tell you that rarely happens anyway Smiley smile

• Kittylove
    Beginner August 2015
    Kittylove ·
    • Hide content

This may not be for anyone, and there may be very valid reasons for not going down this route, but one thing you could consider is the contraceptive injection, depo. Generally speaking you don't get periods while on it. One injection lasts 11 to 12 weeks. So in theory could be used to get through the the hen, wedding, honeymoon bit.

ive been on it for a few years and love it, plus it saves you a fortune in tampax. Can't remember if periods stopped immediately with the first injection though, might have had a small period once after the first injection.

• *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content

Poor you, sounds like yours can be pretty horrific. I was lucky I was on the pill so I just skipped 1 for the wedding and honeymoon. I don't have any advice, just have a practice moving in and lifting your dress next time you try it so see how easy/difficult it is to manoeuvre. And yes you may need to rope in a BM or someone to help you out. Try not to stress about it too much as this can impact your cycle too.

• halloweeny
    Beginner October 2013
    halloweeny ·
    • Hide content

I'm sure it'll be fine! ID has made some good suggestions.

Alternatively try the minipill? most people dont get a period when on it and you can start taking it straight away (i.e. don't have to wait until the beginning of a cycle). It's only a few months and you can come of it straight after.

• Daisy Bell
    Beginner August 2015
    Daisy Bell ·
    • Hide content

Oh no that sounds horrible. I am on the pill so have complete control over when I get my periods (I usually skip every other), ugh! Is the pill an option for you or another firm of hormonal contraception that would affect the period?

• I-go-by-many-names
    Super April 2015
    I-go-by-many-names ·
    • Hide content

I would explain to your GP your situation and see what they can advise. I did the same and was prescribed some tablets, I got the impression they are used to this problem.

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Norethisterone? I understand they work for a lot of people. I was just very wary of them given how crazy my hormones are without extra help Smiley smile

• R
    Beginner September 2015
    ricepudding ·
    • Hide content

I'd also be wary of taking the depo to stop your periods. It doesn't stop periods in everyone, and it can take months for your cycle to return to normal. I'd see your GP and see what they suggest. Norethisterone is the obvious thing, it doesn't affect everyone's mood but depends on how much you want to avoid being on your period.

• C
    Beginner July 2015
    Clairebo ·
    • Hide content

MissB I feel your pain, I suffer too terribly with mine

just a tip, have you tried tranexamic acid to help your heavy periods. You can get this on prescription or the larger Branches of Boots, who are the only other place able to sell them, do their own make called cyklo-F for heavy periods. You have to ask for them in Boots. they are a life saver for me and I am able to live a normal life when I take these

i also swear by norestherone tablets for delaying my period, I am fine when taking them and don't suffer any side effects, but everyone is different. Always make sure I have a stock for those times when you really just don't need a period ruining any celebration/holiday

good luck x

• MrsV-wasMissB
    Beginner August 2015
    MrsV-wasMissB ·
    • Hide content

Thanks all for your comments, all took on board.

I am have printed a calendar of expected cycles between now and October (month of my honeymoon) and I’m going to phone my GP tomorrow to discuss/make appointment. She is already aware of my bad periods, and I already take Tranexamic Acid to lessen the bleeding, but because of my age and wanting to have a family after the wedding, GP said she couldn’t help with hormone meds for my moods/attacks/etc. I’ll have to ask her for her advice on approach.

Does anyone know if Berroccas help during PMT? I was going to have those for the morning anyway. TBH I don’t mind being in Day 4 – 6 of period when its less, it’s the Day 2-3 where my pain is worst or Day 3 – 1 before ‘the bleed’ when my moods are all over the shop. – I cried for 2 hours solid on Sunday all because H2B asked me to clean the oven top which I’d made a state of a few days before and never bothered to wash!!! I then got in my car and drove off somewhere where I ended up having an attack on my own :’( All ended well though! But yes, that’s the kind of thing I DON’T want on my wedding day!!!

• R
    Beginner September 2015
    ricepudding ·
    • Hide content

No evidence that Berroca makes any difference for PMT but impossible to say on an individual level. Definitely steer clear of the Depo if you want to conceive soon after the wedding!

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

Berocca is just vitamins so I can't see how they would. I know you are supposed to eat small starchy meals to keep your moods level and stop your blood sugar from spiking and crashing. Maybe worth trying homeopathic remedies? I know some people think they are rubbish but the tablets are cheap so possibly worth a go. I used to take one and found it seemed to help - it could have been psychological, but it didn't really matter.

• C
    Beginner
    Cece100 ·
    • Hide content

I suffer badly too so know exactly what you are talking about. I have a friend's mum who is a midwife and her other daughter is a dietitian and they advised me that one of the best things to do to prevent the pain being so bad is to not eat any greasy/ fried food for the week before you are due to have your period (not sure of the reasons why it would help but i found it does help a little bit). I always found that having a glass of hot water with lemon and eating lots of mints also helps with the pain. I also read an article that having a hot bath on the morning of when you are due to start can help to delay it starting for several hours (again not sure of why it helps, something about the hot water relaxing the muscles so stops the cramps and the bleeding i think! - similar to a hot water bottle but loads more effective) so they are all something you could try on the months leading up to your wedding to see if they help at all and won't do any harm as they is no chemicals/ hormones involved.

I have also heard evening primrose is good for PMT and can be bought form Holland and Barrett but i have never tried it so can't comment on its effects.

• M
    Beginner October 2015
    MrsFRtobe ·
    • Hide content

I've used Norethisetrone on many occasions, I find it fine, the only problem I have is my next cycle comes on time so have 2 periods very close. Im at the moment due 4 days before my wedding but will defy have the tablets on standby. I found they work at the 1st bit of bleeding, and i can reduce to 1-2 tablets a day rather than the recommended 3

• L
    Beginner October 2014
    LalaC1988 ·
    • Hide content

Oh dear Smiley sad Nothing constructive to say but have a big wierd hug itll all work out in the end, and im sure if you talk to your most sympathetic bridesmaid/close friend youll be able to work together to make everything ok on the day.

• S
    Beginner May 2015
    Snowflake92 ·
    • Hide content

I had the same problem as you, I went on the injection and my periods didn't stop until the 2nd injection which might not work for you. The doctor can prescribe a tablet which you can take 3 days before your periods due and as long as you take it your period wont start again. Be aware though when you come off it your period will be horrible! but worth it as you wont be on for your hen and wedding ect x

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes, Norethisterone (again).

• Sweeties
    Beginner November 2016
    Sweeties ·
    • Hide content

This is so interesting to read.

I've been wondering about this myself. Mine don't really follow much of a pattern, can b every 3 weeks, or could be 6 weeks. Can last 4 days, could last 9 days.

Most of the time mine are also very heavy, and I've been dreading it happening and wearing that white frock.

I'll have to visit the doctor next year and discuss all this. My only upside is that I very rarely get any mood distortions.

Going to look into the stuff to take to lessen the bleeding though.

Sorry not much help from me, but its heartening to know others have same issues and worries

• Jessie0410
    Beginner July 2015
    Jessie0410 ·
    • Hide content

For the Norethisterone tablets, how far in advance do you have to take it for it to work?

• L
    Beginner July 2016
    lafalot ·
    • Hide content

I suffer the same with mood swings and really bad pmt and my doctor prescribed me vitamin b12 tablets which I take daily. I am no longer a raving lunatic for two weeks of a month! It won't help with the heavy bleeding but might help your mood in the lead up to the big day. Worth a try!

• MrsV-wasMissB
    Beginner August 2015
    MrsV-wasMissB ·
    • Hide content

My Mum suffers a B12 deficiency and is on meds for that.... does that affect periods them and moods?

• L
    Beginner July 2016
    lafalot ·
    • Hide content

Http://www.theperiodvitamin.com/vitamin-b6-pms.html

The link will help explain it a bit better. Vitamin B6 and B12 both help. I can honestly say it's been a lifesaver for me.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics