Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

I-go-by-many-names
Super April 2015

periods, ffs

I-go-by-many-names, 7 of February of 2015 at 22:36 Posted on Planning 0 29

No nice way of putting this, I am scheduled to start menstruating on the Saturday of my hen weekend in March. We have a spa booked for the Sunday. Then in April I am scheduled to start menstruating either the day of our wedding or the day after, when we go on honeymoon. Should I do the whole going to the doctors thing and get tablets to stop this or will they make me fat and spotty (not sure which situation is worse). Hate being female sometimes.

29 replies

Latest activity by Vixy1987, 9 of February of 2015 at 13:07
  • M
    Beginner August 2016
    McHelenz ·
    • Hide content

I would deffo get the tablets to stop it - mainly for the honeymoon one. I had them when I was younger and can't remember having much issue with them.

• M
    Beginner September 2015
    Milly_Bride ·
    • Hide content

Yep, lady times can suck!

It's completely up to you - some women just deal with it (it's a normal part of life for us women after all!) and tampons etc. make any situation workable. There are plenty of options out there, but some can take a while to 'kick in'. I was on the pill for ages and ran packs together as needed to schedule my periods where they were most convenient. I'd definitely discuss with your GP if you want to try a different option.

I've been on the implant for a year now and it's been fab - I've had maybe 4 periods in the last year, most in the first 6 months. When I was getting periods they were super light so very easy to deal with, if longer than usual. Side effects can vary and you wont know your reaction to new birth control until you try it unfortunately Smiley sad

• bubblerawk
    Beginner July 2016
    bubblerawk ·
    • Hide content

Id see if you can go on the mini pill for a while, thats what im on, been on it 7 years and its been amazing. not one period, never had any issues with spots. cant comments on weight gain as im on other medication that makes me put weight on so cant tell if the pill does anything.

once your back from your honeymoon you can come off it again Smiley smile

• M
    Beginner August 2016
    McHelenz ·
    • Hide content

Yea - I was on the injection which stopped mine completely and am now on the implant (which can go either way) I was on cerazette before that and it caused me a 6 month period! Cerazette is the same hormone as the implant, but strangely no effect from that...

I'd probably go for the pills you can get that just stop the period, they're different to contraceptive methods aren't they?

• samidolls
    Beginner September 2015
    samidolls ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

ditto. been on the pill since I was 18. I used to schedule my pills (so 2 packs back to back) for holiday etc but since I've been on the mini pill (Cerelle) not a single period. Its been about 4 years.

The only thing I would watch out for is, if you aren't already on the pill be care and look out for mood changes or other side effects. In my 8 years I've tried about 5 or 6 different pills. Some have given me the move evil illness know to womankind and I had 1 horrible year with absolutely zero desire for, shall we say, an early night and very low moods.

It takes times to find the right fit for you. if you aren't on the pill already you could ask your doctor for northethisterone (i think thats how you spell it), you take it for the week before you are due, and then carry on until its a convenient time to come on.

• I-go-by-many-names
    Super April 2015
    I-go-by-many-names ·
    • Hide content

Wow, what a reaction! This is clearly a common issue. I have been on cerazette before and did have periods but very light and unpredictable, but its an option. I can't go on the normal pill as I get migraines so no doctor has ever given it to me for that reason. I dont particularly want to get an implant considering I already have one scar from having it previously and have been religiously applying bio oil in the attempt to fade it for our wedding day. I've never had the injection. I think I'll make an appointment.

• FutureMrsMcCall
    Beginner October 2016
    FutureMrsMcCall ·
    • Hide content

Have you thought about trying a mooncup? They're an alternative to pads or tampons, and one of the advantages is that because they collect fluids rather than absorbing them, you can put it in preemptively. So if you're not sure if you might start menstruating on your wedding day, you can put the mooncup in that morning and know that if you do start your period, you're covered, without having to deal with an uncomfortable pad or a dry tampon!

They can be a little daunting if you've not used one before but honestly, once you get the hang of it they're very simple Smiley smile

• X
    Beginner July 2016
    xxbeckyxx999 ·
    • Hide content

The doctors won't put me on the regular pill too due to migraines. I would look into the injection, my friend has been on it for over a year and it doesn't seem to have given her any side effects. It'll take the worry off your shoulders, sucks being a woman sometimes Smiley sad

• TreacleTart
    Beginner May 2015
    TreacleTart ·
    • Hide content

Me too! Not the hen do but I'm due on on the wedding day, I wouldn't care expect I get awful headaches, get grumpy, greasy skinned, and get terrible spots so I'm planning on a trip to the GP to discuss norethisterone.

• CBeckford
    Rockstar July 2015
    CBeckford ·
    • Hide content

I've had pretty awful experiences with both the implant and the injection, but I've taken norethisterone (sp) a few times when going on holiday to delay my period and that worked fine.

x

• I-go-by-many-names
    Super April 2015
    I-go-by-many-names ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Assuming it may be an option for spa on the hen do but surely not sexy time on the honeymoon?

• E
    Beginner October 2015
    elvira-darkside ·
    • Hide content

Ask your gp for norethisterone 5mg. usually taken 5 days before you are due - but often 2-3 days before will ofset aunt flo. your gp will be used to this request for wedding/honeymoon. it will not be a contraceptive, but will defer your cycle. be prepared for an odd month after while your body settles.

hope this helps

• AnnaMolly
    Beginner October 2015
    AnnaMolly ·
    • Hide content

I get focal migraines so I can't take the normal pill but my dr has given me norethisterone before and it worked a treat. I plan on using it for my wedding.

Personally I would avoid the injection, if you get any side effects you're stuck with them until it runs out. Not something I would want to risk over my wedding/honeymoon.

• kizzi10000
    Beginner August 2016
    kizzi10000 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I LOVE my mooncup, been using one for years. It's very useful easy to put in if you think it's on the way and you've got something coming up that day and want to be covered in case.

And yep, while not always the most comfortable, it doesn't stop us at that time of the month ?. They do have a stem that's supposed to help with removal, but I've cut that off completely. And I was worried at first that it might rub on certain bits ? but OH has never reported any issues. Then I just nip to the loo to reposition it in case any activity has knocked it out of place causing leakage.

Best bit is never having to buy sanitary products again ?

• R
    Beginner December 2014
    rambosmum ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I also have a mooncup, and I love it, but am I right in thinking that you leave it in whilst you *ahem* get down to business? I've never even thought of doing that! You learn something new everyday!

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

The thought of mooncups makes me queasy- the thought of boffing with one in even more so!

• kizzi10000
    Beginner August 2016
    kizzi10000 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yep, do indeed, empty before and after and very rarely have any mess issues. Didn't ever want to with the usual sanitary stuff, or any of my ex's, but OH said he didn't mind when I first brought it up, so now I just warn him he'll be sharing me lol

• kizzi10000
    Beginner August 2016
    kizzi10000 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Lol, they're not to everyone's taste, and take a bit of getting used to

• J
    Beginner March 2015
    JLLS ·
    • Hide content

I have been on the pill since I was 14 because of heavy and unpredictable periods. I was on the same one for 9 years. Had no problems then the doctors changed it (there was a reason, can't remember why!) and I really struggled with the one they changed it to. It gave me really bad spots that scarred and I put on weight. After a few months to try and let it settle down they changed it again, which didn't improve anything so changed it again which finally did. By the time my skin and weight settled down it had been 9 months or so but I haven't had any problems with the pill I am on now and have been on it for 4 years. I much prefer the pill to the implant or injection (feel much more comfortable in that I have to take as opposed to trusting the implant!) but just a word of warning in case the pill they put you on doesn't work for you it can take a while to sort out.

• A
    Beginner April 2015
    Aquiescence* ·
    • Hide content

I planned my wedding day date with my calendar looking at when I would be due on my period! I will have my period a week before the wedding so won't have it for the wedding or honeymoon. I am fortunate to have regular periods to be able to do this, but unfortunate that if I did get it on the day it would ruin my wedding, I get such bad pain that I would not enjoy it at all. I take prescribed pain killers which make the pain bearable but make me woozy.

I would be cautious of starting some sort of hormonal tablet due to the chance of side effects of low mood and skin break outs.

• soraneko
    Beginner June 2016
    soraneko ·
    • Hide content

I didn't know that there was a pill you could take temporarily to offset periods - how useful! Just going to say that I've been through several contraceptive pills and they can do all sorts of weird things, so be prepared. I had 'dark thoughts' with one Pill and the current one has really lower my 'mood' (I'd rather the latter than risk trying another and have the former!)

I'm lucky also in that I've been on contraceptive Pills for several years and if this happens I'll be continuing my Pill, but also that I'm hardly effected by a lot of the side effects that come with the time of the month... I hope that you find something that will be the best fit for you!

• I-go-by-many-names
    Super April 2015
    I-go-by-many-names ·
    • Hide content

Well I've decided to take the plunge with the moon cup. Maybe TMI but its in right now and so far so good! Going to wear it for the hen weekend if all goes well but I still think I'll go to my gp and ask for northisterone or whatever for my wedding and honeymoon as I really dont think you can have sex with it in. I mean it is quite big and sits quite near your vaginal opening so how is he meant to put ihis thing in? I'm sorry but I dont get that at all. Or maybe i just have a really short vagina. Ok definitely TMI now... Soz

• M
    Beginner September 2015
    Milly_Bride ·
    • Hide content

No do not try and have sex with a mooncup in! It's not meant for that Smiley smile

• A
    Beginner April 2015
    Aquiescence* ·
    • Hide content

There is something like a mooncup I have used called Instead Softcups. You can have sex with them in as it fits over your cervix high up.

• kizzi10000
    Beginner August 2016
    kizzi10000 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I push mine in as far as it will go. Not sure of the extact workings ? but it doesn't seem to bother OH too much, though can't go as far. Have you still got the stem on it that's supposed to help you take it out? I cut mine off so the bottom is smooth - it wouldn't work with that on still, I'd be worried about him impaling homself on it lol

• MadamRed
    Beginner April 2017
    MadamRed ·
    • Hide content

Gotta be honest, the idea of having sex with anything else in there makes me feel uncomfortable and kinda grossed out.

• I-go-by-many-names
    Super April 2015
    I-go-by-many-names ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I dont find it gross, I find it scary! What if he pushes it really far and hurts me? And what if it hurts him? I'm definitely using it as an alternative to sanitary products and so i can swim with the girls on my hen weekend, not as a way of having sex whilst I'm on.

• L
    Beginner September 2015
    lindabelle66 ·
    • Hide content

Another vote for Norethisterone, my male GP is very sympathetic and lets me have it before holidays etc and I can ask for a repeat prescription without going to see him. It works a treat, ive never had any problems with spots/mood changes/bloating etc.

Linda

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

I have crazily sensitive hormones so I decided against Norethisterone. In the end I did have my period on the wedding day, but y'know, what can you do. I think adrenaline took over and I didn't have any cramps or anything.

• Vixy1987
    Beginner May 2016
    Vixy1987 ·
    • Hide content

I'm on the pill now but had the coil for years and loved it. Had to have it removed but will be having one again, not the most comfortable thing to have fitted but I didn't have a period for 3 years and no pains or spots or any reaction. It is very much a personal choice, and if you aren't comfortable with having things down there then it might not be for you.

I am now on the combined pill as need to have a rest before having another and it has made my skin really bad but you can use it to stop periods if you need too for a specific time period so it might be the best option for you, if you don't want a period at all. I would go as soon as possible so it settles into your system though.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics