Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

o0o_Charlie_o0o
Beginner August 2016

Periods question.....

o0o_Charlie_o0o, 21 of March of 2016 at 08:57 Posted on Planning 0 14

So my wedding isn't for 4.5 months yet but I'm really worried that just my luck I'll be due on my period or having my period for the wedding day and I just wondered if there is anything you can take to postpone in if you are due on? I want to be prepared incase because that is the last thing I want on my wedding day!!!

sorry I know it's not the nicest of questions lol

14 replies

Latest activity by SpreadsheetsRUs, 24 of March of 2016 at 13:17
  • L
    Beginner July 2016
    Leelee85 ·
    • Hide content

You an get a pill from the doctor which stops your periods for a month or so. Don't know much about it but that is an option.

Its a variation on the contraceptive pill I believe

• D
    Beginner December 2016
    DB2016 ·
    • Hide content

Ask your doctor for norithisterone. It stops your period for as long as you take it. You take 3 tablets per day and have to start 3 days before your period would be due! Xx

• T
    Beginner May 2016
    Tidal Wave ·
    • Hide content

If you are on the combined pill, you just don't take a break, other than that I have nothing, but the two replies before me seem much better.

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

Agree with the other posters. Not taking the weeks break from your contraceptive pill will mean you don't have your period and norethisterone stops your periods. Easiest option being don't take your pill break if you're on the pill.

• H
    Beginner May 2016
    HappyBlueConfetti257 ·
    • Hide content

I'm just less than two months away from my wedding and although I'm very irregular and it could come at any time, my Clue App on my phone predicted that I'd come on on the day of my hen do and on the day of the wedding, it would be just my luck! I went to the Dr at the weekend and she suggested norethisterone but as I'm irregular, it wouldn't be possible. So I've just gone on the combined pill for a couple of months so that I can run two packs together.

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

I looked into norethisterone but I suffer badly with hormonal mood swings etc so decided against any type of hormonal intervention, and I can tell you that whilst having your period on your wedding day is inconvenient and a bit of a pain (literally and metaphorically), it's far from the worst thing that can happen. I don't remember particularly caring about it on the day!

• P
    Beginner April 2016
    Pooba ·
    • Hide content

This may come across as hypocritical seeing as I'm on a pill that stops periods altogether, but if I wasn't on this I don't think I'd want to mess around with my period. I was irregular beforehand (+/- 1 week) so anything that made it even harder to determine when I'd be on I'd steer clear of.

That said, we had a discussion about this on the weight loss thread a little while ago and a few of the other posters made a valid point: if you go for a pill that delays your period, you should try it now and maybe try to knock your cycle off-kilter so you're 'normal' by the time of your wedding, just not on. That way, you potentially deal with side effects now and you don't have to throw any random hormones into your body at a time you're going to be hormonal and stressed enough!

• M
    Beginner August 2016
    Mrs-Riley ·
    • Hide content

I'm glad someone else has asked this question- I've been thinking about it more and more.

I've only just really taking notice of the need to track periods- I'm not too fussed about it falling on my wedding day, but would be gutted if it fell on our week long honeymoon a month after the wedding.

I definitely think I'll pop to the pharmacists and discuss, before I ask my GP.

• o0o_Charlie_o0o
    Beginner August 2016
    o0o_Charlie_o0o ·
    • Hide content

Thank you everyone, I'm not on the pill as they just make me bleed the whole time so pretty useless for me, and my periods aren't regular yet, Iv only had one since I gave birth in December so I'm hoping they regulate so I know when it's likely to happen, but I will defo speak to the dr about that pill you have all said about, and I know some of you have said its not too much of a problem to be on for the wedding but for me it would be I have a very heavy flow which could cause extremely embarassing problems with a light coloured dress lol

• Mrsjones2024
    Rockstar June 2024 Essex
    Mrsjones2024 ·
    • Hide content

My friend has used the norethisterone quire a few times when we have been on holiday and has never had any issues with it. I was prescribed it when I had the copper coil fitted just in case I suffered heavy bleeding but I didn't so I never took it. If you can't predict when your period will start then it is going to be tricky as, like other posters have said, you need to take it three days before.

Which contraceptive pills have you tried that don't agree with you? Through trying lots of methods of contraception, and doing LOTS of research, I worked out that I am super sensitive to progesterone which is in most pills, injections and implants etc. Therefore the only pill that works for me is dianette which is more oestrogen based. Could you have a chat with your doctor and see what types you have used before and what the ingredients are and then try to avoid those ones? You have enough time to try another type of pill before the wedding x

• E
    Beginner May 2016
    ExpensivePinkCars201 ·
    • Hide content

I'm probably due on the day we leave for honeymoon but I won't be taking Norethisterone (aka Utovlan) and this is coming from a pharmacist. There are a few reasons for this, which I will explain below:

1) Whilst it is quite common to be absolutely fine and have no side effects, I don't want to have a massive breakout of spots or be nauseous all day or extended PMS or anything else for that matter. The risk is small, but I'm not going to take it!

2) Yes you should start the pills 3 days before you're due on but did you know that as soon as you stop taking them, your period appears? I'm on honeymoon for two weeks so would have to take them for at least 17 days, three times a day - no thank you!

3) I'm not the most organised person at the best of times so the chances of me remembering to take my pill three times ON MY WEDDING DAY are absolutely zero! Then factor in the honeymoon cocktails and activities and it is pretty much guaranteed that I will forget at some point and get my period anyway.

4) Lastly, consider whether or not you are deciding to start a family soon after the wedding (we are). Taking any sort of hormone can make your body a bit wacky and it might take your body a couple of months to sort itself out which could lead to an extra delay (that being said, the dose in Utovlan is not for contraceptive purposes so don't be fooled, you could just as easily fall pregnant whilst on them - I don't want to be responsible for an unexpected batch of "Hitched Babies!").

Do what's best for you, maybe speak to the doctor about something you can take to lighten your flow if it's really bad (tranexamic acid for example).

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

I took norethisterone in the past due to severe endometriosis. Stopping my periods gave my body a bit of a break and me less pain. I took it for 6 months and to be honest by that point the side affects just weren't worth it for me. It can be pretty rough. Short term to just move your period i think most people would probably be fine but definitely discuss any other options ouT there nowadays and do it before the wedding not at the time of the wedding. For anyone who is on the pill or can take it short term just not taking the pill break could be a much better option.

• D
    Beginner December 2016
    DB2016 ·
    • Hide content

Whenever I have stopped taking norithisterone it is always 2-3 days before I come on my period.

• S
    Beginner October 2016
    SpreadsheetsRUs ·
    • Hide content

Does it reset your cycle?

So for instance, if nearer the time I thought I was going to be on over my wedding day/honeymoon, could I take it a few months before hand to "upset" my cycle and therefore my period wouldn't be on my wedding day?

As then that would mean no potential side effects on the wedding day - or does it not work like that?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics