Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

judeclarke
Beginner October 2011

Permission to bounce? Honeymoon booked!

judeclarke, 1 November, 2010 at 20:05 Posted on Planning 0 4

Who cares, I don't need permission, I'll bounce anyway! ?????

We have finally booked our honeymoon, but it's not been a smooth process.

We've both always wanted to see the Aurora Borealis, so we decided we wanted to do a Norwegian cruise for our honeymoon. Sounded simple to start with, so we got a quote in the spring, and it all looked good other than we were told we couldn't book until October because they don't set dates that far in advance. So we added the cost to our budget and waited.

Last week I noticed their website had the winter 2011/2012 dates available so I phoned them to book, and got a slightly different message. The price we were originally quoted was for a basic cabin - bunk beds with a loo and sink and a shared bathroom, and didn't include the flights, and obviously the sales girl hadn't told us this 8 months ago when we first enquired. So I asked for a quote for a double bed cabin, with flights, and was told we'd have to upgrade to a suite to get a double bed - they couldn't give us a free upgrade even though its our honeymoon.

The quote he gave me was £2000 more than the original price - I called my OH and we both cried. We were gutted that our dream honeymoon was out of our reach and we'd have to think again - we just couldn't magic up that amount of extra cash, even given 11 months to do it.

So we reconsidered our options and decided to go for a week instead of a fortnight, and we'd cut a few other items on our budget to make the shortfall. We were still about £1000 down, but we could manage to save that much extra in a year if we cut out a few luxuries.

My OH (bless him) checked out his investment ISA that he uses to save for emergencies, and said he would put that into the pot, meaning we didn't have to cut back too much, and might even be able to add a couple of extras to our trip. I was happy with that - it was a decent compromise.

Then I told my Mum the whole story last night, and she said she'd give us £1000 towards out honeymoon! ? Thanks Mum! That means we're back on for the 2 weeks cruise - woo hoo!

So when I phoned up again today to book they gave us a 15% discount for early booking, noted down 'honeymoon' on our reciept and said we'd be first in line for a free upgrade from minisuite (double bed with shower) to master suite (kingsize bed, better view) if it came up! And then the sales guy said he could give us a 5% discount on any excursions, so we booked for a guided tour of Trondheim, a viking feast at the viking museum, and a trip to the russian border museum too!

So we've both been bouncing all evening ?????

One very happy Jude and one very happy Simon at our house tonight ?

4 replies

Latest activity by judeclarke, 2 November, 2010 at 19:10
  • SarinaCain
    Beginner March 2011
    SarinaCain ·
    • Hide content

Awww congratulations. God bless mum

• Browny
    Beginner June 2011
    Browny ·
    • Hide content

Thats fab! Bless your mum thats so kind of her.

You'll have such a great time!

xxx

• Pheonix
    Beginner August 2011
    Pheonix ·
    • Hide content

Arent mums the best!!

Congratulations!

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content

Wowzs! id love to do that, see the fjords and ligths and all that but not for my honeymoon.....but wow, how lucky were you hey Smiley smile

• judeclarke
    Beginner October 2011
    judeclarke ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Wht not for a honeymoon? My OH is a redhead (probably a viking!) and doesn't do heat and sun too well - he only just manages an afternoon's gardening in the sun let alone a tropical holiday - he'd fry! And TBH we'd get bored on a beach holiday, we need to be able to DO things and GO places. So a cruise up the fjords sounded good to us.

Mind you, I wish our budget would have stretched to a polar bear safari too...but I like what we booked.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics