Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

FS84
Beginner March 2015

Personal touches & small details - what are yours?

FS84, 20 of November of 2014 at 08:52 Posted on Planning 0 7

Hey ladies. With 4 months to go I've started thinking about this. I'm a bit worried that our wedding is going to be too plain or something. Our centrepieces are quirky but other than that we don't have much decoration planned. I don't want to look back and regret anything!

7 replies

Latest activity by Stephie, 21 of November of 2014 at 13:29
  • kimiu
    Beginner June 2015
    kimiu ·
    • Hide content

Don't worry! If you have quirky centerpieces, you're doing fine!! It will all depend on your venue - does it feel sparse, or full, or somewhere in between. Do you *need* more, or are you just worrying!

Can you "pad" your decoration out cheaply with sparkly table confetti, or a few tealights in votive glasses, or some larger candles in hurricane lamps dotted around etc?

Don't forget, that understated elegance is beautiful - it keeps the focus on the main part of the wedding, and that is YOU!! Don't try and overcrowd things just because you're panicking. Sometimes, less is more, remember!

Do you have any flashes of your venue, and/or your centerpieces so people can give more informed suggestions?

• Lapland2015
    Beginner December 2015
    Lapland2015 ·
    • Hide content

Our personal touch is the cakes. Yes you heard right were having two however they are both dessert one being a mixture of cheese and one being sponge and fruit. I love lemon and vanilla sponge cakes so we are having a sponge cup cake cake with a fruit tier (yuk but tradition) and my oh is pretty much addicted to cheese so that his cake (as well as the fruit tier haha) every time we have told family they look at my oh and laugh that the cheese is clearly his choice lol

• R
    Beginner October 2015
    Rebeccafcr ·
    • Hide content

I'm glad this has been posted. i've been wondering the same thing!

• S
    Beginner May 2016
    Sparty ·
    • Hide content

I still have ages to go til my wedding so haven't thought of a lot of little touches yet really. But we are getting married abroad and it will be warm so I am going to make some hand held fans (found some on Pinterest which has tons of ideas) for my guests as the ceremony is outside in a courtyard.

I am just planning to get some coloured paper the same as my wedding colours and some lolly sticks to make them. Probably try and use a few plain sheets of paper and a few patterned ones, or different shades of the same colour palette to give a nice contrast. You literally just fold them and stick three folded pieces of paper together and then the edges to the lolly sticks.

I would be interested to see what others are doing as well as we are having a big UK celebration once we get back and so far I don't have many ideas for that!

• FS84
    Beginner March 2015
    FS84 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the replies so far! This is our reception venue, although it'll look a lot nicer when we have it done :-) We're having lilac chair covers:

I don't have pics of the centrepieces as they're being done nearer the time, this was the inspiration but ours will be in bird cages with some greenery:

We're having a few other dinosaur things like cake toppers, and dinosaur themed sweetie table. Perhaps I'm worrying over nothing?!

• pink & glitz
    Beginner August 2014
    pink & glitz ·
    • Hide content

Sparty - where about are you getting married?? I got married abroad.

We had an evening reception too when we got home, I had white and baby pink balloons on the table, with crystals scattered on the black table cloth. Our chairs had black covers with baby pink sashes, it looked simple and beautiful x

• Lorns
    Rockstar May 2015
    Lorns ·
    • Hide content

I always think less is more when it comes to venue decor. After visiting our reception venue earlier this year as an evening guest, it was clear to see that although us and our friends have a similar theme (vintage/rustic) there were a few too many decorations (for my own liking) and it seemed to take away a little bit, from the beauty of the lovely, old barn.

I originally thought, lots of flowers, bunting everywhere, little plants, tea cups with flowers, poms poms, lights, hanging hearts etc etc etc! But after seeing it with all this decoration.... I realised it just wasnt really needed. Guests will still be wowed, just by the beauty of the place!

Our personal touches are things that mean a lot to the both of us, so our table names are Volkswagen related, as are our favours. Everyone attending the wedding breakfast will instantly get the connections and why we have done what we've done.

Decoration wise, I have sourced some hessian and white cloth homemade bunting to put around a little 'dated' area of the barn, and will have a few pairs of wellies filled with wild flowers dotted around the place (as I am an outdoor girl...plus we have a load of chickens!) and I am sure, again, our guests will really understand this.

On the 'gift table' we will have an old vintage suitcase for the cards, but also I have bought a double heart shaped frame, and I will put some photos of us both in there. I am also going to mount some images from a honeymoon brochure with an image of the safari side of our honeymoon and then the relaxing white beach part of the honeymoon, so that people have an actual idea of what type of honeymoon they will be kindly dontaing towards.

I also made a thank you sign and framed it, this will sit on the gift table too, just to remind people how gratefull we really are.

The othe thing will be our cake topper... OH and I, and the two dogs Smiley smile

• S
    Beginner October 2015
    Stephie ·
    • Hide content

Leaves! I'm having an autnumnal theme, with red, gold and orange colour scheme. My OH and I have been out foraging for different types of leaf and spray painted them gold, we're going to have them scattered about the place and as place cards. I've tried to attach an example of the place card, first image upload so apologies if it doesn't work!

Will have fake leaves scattered about the floor etc and on the invitations, cake etc.

There is a separate coach house to my venue where people will be gathered whilst they change the room around. I'm decorating that place with jars. I've got friends and family keeping all their empty jars. I'm going to fill them with candles, twigs, pine cones etc. I'm really excited about these little things as that way everyone will have played a part in the day too

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics