Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

H
Beginner

Personalised wedding magazine idea

hannahthomas, 25 July, 2011 at 21:36 Posted on Planning 0 6

Hi there everyone, I was wondering if I could ask your advice on a potential business project my husband and I are looking to start. For our wedding we made a personalised wedding magazine as our favours. My husband is a magazine designer and so he made it look like a Heat-style gossip magazine, but with pictures of us in it instead of pictures of Jordan and the cast of TOWIE!! You can see pictures of the pages at this web gallery http://gallery.me.com/alexcthomas#100065.

What I'm trying to find out is, as a potential idea would any of you be interested in having a magazine made for your big day? As well as working as a favour it could be a great personalised gift for friends and family.

As well as a Heat-style gossip mag we would offer a tabloid newspaper design, a vintage-style chintzy magazine and a high-end fashion magazine a bit like Vogue or Harpers.

The other thing we really want to know is how much to charge? Hypothetically speaking, would £100 deposit plus £2 per magazine sound reasonable? Please give us any feedback as we'd really appreciate your help.

6 replies

Latest activity by ajdown, 26 July, 2011 at 07:55
  • R
    Beginner
    rachb3 ·
    • Hide content

This would be a great keep sake, perhaps more suited for the women than men but depends on the content. x

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

I think I've seen something similar to this before - but my answer - certainly regarding the celebrity-trash anyway - would still be the same, it's not something we would consider as it's not really "our style" , but it'd be interesting to see some of your other designs.

Our favours are now all completed and there's less than 2 months to go so even if you came up with something completely perfect to our tastes we wouldn't be able to consider it due to time and budget issues.

£2 for a favour is probably a little excessive particularly when you wouldn't be able to give "one per person" like you would for the traditional bag of 5 sugared almonds, for example. You certainly wouldn't want to have too much wastage when we're having 140 for example.

But then we're not 'average hitchers' so you may find that others are more receptable to your ideas.

• F
    Beginner October 2011
    FutureMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

I love the idea, but I'm a magazine FIEND, so I would.

However, I'm not sure I'd use it as favours. As a novelty for me to have (and as such I'd pay a lot more than the price you are talking about), maybe as gifts for MOB but there is a bit of me that thinks it might look a bit conceited as a favour (unless of course you H2B were a magazine designer, making it relevant)

• H
    Beginner
    hannahthomas ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for speedy feedback. As we said we were thinking it wouldn't just be for favours, it could be a personal gift as well? And we could print as many copies as is needed.

For us, we did it as favours as it was personal and a little bit of fun for our family and friends. We printed one per couple and then had a number of extras available for guests in the evening to take home. They all went and so wastage wasn't really an issue fortunately.

• J
    Beginner June 2012
    Jlo84 ·
    • Hide content

Can you send me a link to see the photos? Sounds like my kind of thing. Thanks, Jen x

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

OP, I assume you've already done some research to see how many others are out there doing a similar thing? A quick google of 'personalised wedding magazine' bought up a number of options, although one offering 25 copies of a 12 page magazine at £495 did seem a lot more expensive than your offering - but how that compares as regards the level of customisation obviously I can't say as only you really know your product.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics