Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Hubble

"pet" wild hedgehog q - is it cruel to keep him for a while?

Hubble, 17 July, 2009 at 21:35 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 10

We have a sunken walled garden and roughly every 3-4 weeks we receive a new "pet" hedgehog who presumably falls down the bank into our garden and then can't get out.

Our garden is average sized so we discover the new addition the family very quickly and get all excited (we have a toddler - excitement is easily come by!). I googled what they like to eat and have a stash of cat food at the ready for such visitors.

They usually like to sleep under F's sandpit but I recently made a nice nest box for "aaa-ckog" (as F calls them)

I usaully feel guilty that they miss their "friends and family" after about a week or so (or if we are going to be away for a night or whatever and not around to feed it) and then let them go by releasing them on the bank again.

But, should i release them as soon as I find them and not keep them for a week or so.... am i being mean letting them / making them hang out with us for a while!?!?There's pretty much no source of food naturally for them in our garden i wouldn't have thought... no shrubs or hedgerows - just walls all around a lawn and raised beds they can't get to.

Am i being bonkers even asking...!?

If anyone else cares for wild hedgehogs i'd be pleased to hear any tips / advice??? Or should i just set them free as soon as they arrive? (F loves them)

10 replies

Latest activity by Zebra, 18 July, 2009 at 19:13
  • Hugo Brambles
    Beginner August 2002
    Hugo Brambles ·
    • Hide content

What if they had babies though? By you keeping them the babies would die?

• Old Nick Esq.
    Old Nick Esq. ·
    • Hide content

Frankly, it would be, yes.

Just enjoy the "visits" and by all means feed him.

I had a family of them in the garden for a while and they nearly got me arrested...

• Luthien
    Beginner June 2007
    Luthien ·
    • Hide content

Roll it in mud and then bake it - mmmmmmmmmmmmm

• Hubble
    Hubble ·
    • Hide content

Gosh i hadn;t "though of the children!" yikes. Good point. He / SHE?! is going back immediately.

Thanks!

Althouhg you have to tell me how a family of hh's almost got you arrested..... the mind boggles!

• Hubble
    Hubble ·
    • Hide content

Reminds me of an incident as a student leaving our rented house (i shared with 4 lads) - I happened across something very HH like welded to the side of the deepfreeze which the boys said was indeed a HH they found in the garden. I was beside myself (i had come home to a live toad in the bath once so it was very possible) - further investigation revealed it was actually a chicken kiev.

• Luthien
    Beginner June 2007
    Luthien ·
    • Hide content

? chicken kiev

? Bless you.

I love hedgehogs, we have one who snuffles his way around our garden each night - lots of spiders here for him.

• C
    Beginner December 2004
    Coralie ·
    • Hide content

As cute as they are to toddlers, and i have one so know how appealing it might be...i'd not encourage feeding too strongly. they get there, they will find another garden if you dont feed them, it becomes someone elses problem. god, how harsh am i?

• WifeyLind
    Beginner April 2006
    WifeyLind ·
    • Hide content

I know this place is in Guernsey, but they give really good advice on hedgehogs on their website and the woman in charge of the rescue centre is a real expert. It's all for love of hedgehogs that she does it.

https://www.hedgehogrescue.org.gg/infoandadvice.php

• Hubble
    Hubble ·
    • Hide content

Ooh, thanks for that link! Useful info there. Cheers.

• Old Nick Esq.
    Old Nick Esq. ·
    • Hide content

A very poor pic of one of my 'piggies' back in the day....

• Zebra
    Beginner
    Zebra ·
    • Hide content

Could you rest a plank up one wall for the hedgehog to climb out with? Even if you put it out only at night so the kids can't get up it?

One thing to be careful of is buckets/tubs - my aunt lost their hedgehog, a regular visitor and hibernator in their garden for years - when it fell into a bucket and drowned when it couldn't get out.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics