Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

Pharyngitis/sore throat

26 of April of 2014 at 20:32 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 2

Well, I have it.

I haven't had it since I was last told not to take NSAIDs. Paracetamol isn't working (generally doesn't for me unless I have a stress headache). It's set off my general pain pretty bad, but I'm not sure if it would be a good idea to take codeine?

Timing couldn't be worse as I have a crap-load of work to do next week, unpacking as we moved house today and two hospital appointments.

Do you have any brilliant remedies? I know to avoid diary but is there anything else? I drink heaps of liquids (including lots of herbal tea) and salty food every day so I am not sure what else to do!

2 replies

Latest activity by *Teabag*, 27 of April of 2014 at 18:50
  • Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content

The ward doctor where l work swears by gargling with salty water. I didn't try it when l was ill the other week as swallowing was pure agony and l just couldn't face it.

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

My dad used to make me gargle with diluted TCP. It's absolutely vile though.

I tend to just use Strepsils (or generic equivalent) and Lemsip drinks (or generic equivalent - anything with paracetamol and vitamin C) as I find drinking the warm drink soothing as well as the drugs, so it's better than taking the capsules. I also like hot blackcurrant squash ? though that's definitely placebo effect! If you have codeine it's worth a try if you're really struggling.

Hope you feel better soon!

• *Teabag*
    Beginner June 2013
    *Teabag* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Someone at work told me to try this a few years ago, except she forgot to tell me to dilute it. I nearly went through the roof and could taste TCP for about 3 days afterwards!

If I have a sore throat, I eat manuka honey. It's a bit rank but it always works for me.

Hope that you feel better soon X

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics