Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Little Madam
Beginner

Phone calls at dinner time.

Little Madam, 17 January, 2012 at 19:41 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 24

So, you sit down to tuck into your lovingly cooked dinner and the phone rings... Do you answer it, or do you ignore it?

I never answer it, and when H is here, I insist he doesn't either. He thinks I am mad, I argue we've both got mobiles if it's urgent but 99% of the time it's his Mom "checking in".

24 replies

Latest activity by HatTrick, 17 January, 2012 at 22:42
  • T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content

Ignore. Definitely.

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

I ignore. MrMini answers. Drives me mad.

I can always tell which parent calls the landline as well (they are the only people who ever use it) Mil hangs on for up to 2 mins (I have timed this) baring in mind we dont have an answer machine! Why? 6 or 7 rings is enough- we hardly live in a mansion!

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

I am glad it's not just me being a mean witch!

MIL rings every night at 7:30 - she knows I currently get back from work every evening between 6:15 and 6:45 so chances are i'll be either preparing dinner, eating dinner or showering. Yet she rings, and when I ignore she puts the receiver down and re-dials.. It drives me totally bonkers!

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

I suspect I may also be the teeniest bit guilty of this, just a teeny bit you understand... ?

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

My Mum used to repeat dial until once, when asked me why it took a few goes for me to answer, I told her we do a lot of shagging and she seemed to catch us in the middle. She never repeat dials now.

• Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content

Definatley ignore, especially with a house phone where you can't even see who it is. Whenever I get up to answer it it's usually cold calling or similar!!

• Flamin Nora
    Beginner August 2013
    Flamin Nora ·
    • Hide content

I dont answer anymore because it tended to be cold callers.

• jojo2
    Beginner June 2012
    jojo2 ·
    • Hide content

I amswer it but just say "we are in the middle of dinner will call you back"

If tis someone I am not in the mood to talk to I screen and ignore.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hahaha!

I ignore. But to be honest I always ignore my house phone - its normally a sales call and we have an answering machine for anything important. I ignore my mobile when I'm eating too, as does OH.

• jen_84
    Beginner August 2012
    jen_84 ·
    • Hide content

Definitely ignore - let the answer machine pick it up. I don't do it just over dinner either. If I'm in the middle of a film or something I won't pick up. It'll only be either set of parents if it's the land line and I need to be in the right mood to speak to either. Blimey I'm an awful DIL/daughter!

• ashlil
    Beginner February 2011
    ashlil ·
    • Hide content

Same LM totally ignore pjone during dinner, we both do! it goes to answerphone anyway

• S
    Beginner October 2011
    SuperSpud ·
    • Hide content

I will ignore it, the answerphone will catch it.

Our phone displays the number (or who it is if we have put the number in the memory), H will answer it if it's his sisters or his mum. I definitely, absolutely 100% will not answer it if it is his sisters or mum.

• SassyT
    Beginner August 2013
    SassyT ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This! MIL2B KNOWS we eat 6-6.30, we've told her countless times, but does that stop her ringing? Noooooo.

• Missus S
    Missus S ·
    • Hide content

LM is she ringing you every night still even though H is away?

• Nancy Noodles
    Beginner
    Nancy Noodles ·
    • Hide content

My mum knows we have dinner and boys bath time between 5 and 7 , so im safe on that one but i always end with some random calling me asking me to do a survey or do i need a new kitchen?!!

I have to say my mum always manages to call me when ive just got in the bath ,without fail!!

• stripeyrache
    Beginner February 2011
    stripeyrache ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I do this generally.

My nana will often ring me first if ever anything ever happens to her so I would never ignore the phone in case it is something serious.

• Vanilla Pod
    Beginner September 2011
    Vanilla Pod ·
    • Hide content

We only plug the house phone in if we need to phone expensive numbers that arent included on free minutes on our mobiles ie booking holidays, paying credit cards, I actually dont even know the number as where the phine socket is there isnt a place for it to go! So we just have our mobiles, and no I dont answer during dinner neither does H.

• judeclarke
    Beginner October 2011
    judeclarke ·
    • Hide content

Anyone who calls me at dinner time must not know me, or it's my mother and it's really urgent. I do answer - if it's a sales or cold call I will hang up - BT have a habit of calling me at 5.50pm to try and persuade me to get their broadband service. If it's my mum I'll tell her we're eating and call her back.

I did have a weird on the other day - an automated survey that I couldn't hand up on - I tried 3 times to disconnect and it was still there when I picked up the reciever. We had to unplug the phone at the wall to disconnect - I thought that kind of call was illegal.

• ButterflyChild
    Beginner May 2013
    ButterflyChild ·
    • Hide content

We ignore it, its usually mum checking in with us...She must have a sensor stuck to her head that lets her know our bums have touched the seats of the chairs at the dinner table and that this is the time to phone us... I always return her call though, Im a good girl ?

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I do this as we don't have set dinner times, any time between 6pm - 10pm depending on our plans that day.

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content

I always answer. I would drive myself mad wondering who it was if I didn't.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics