Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

Photo booth hire - or could I make one

26 of February of 2011 at 12:17 Posted on Planning 0 24

Can anyone recommend a good photo booth hire company - am after recommendations and would also appreciate thoughts on how much to expect to pay. I don't want to spend too much, but I think it would be loads of fun. Any suggestions appreciated. I wanted an old-fashioned polaroid type one but suspect they are too expensive after I saw a scarily high price on one site.

I'm not sure if this is something to ask my tog but bear in mind they are friends and are doing it cheap or possibly free (OH thinks they will do it free, I think we shouldn't assume!) so I don't want to ask more favours.

Edit: just found this http://abackyardwedding.blogspot.com/2009/02/diy-polaroid-photobooth.html. I have a polaroid camera, somewhere, so maybe I could make my own. Now wondering if anyone has done this... the difference is we'd have to provide the film, whereas the hire ones seem to give unlimited prints.

24 replies

Latest activity by Lisa sofa, 26 of February of 2017 at 12:16
  • LoveSka
    Beginner October 2011
    LoveSka ·
    • Hide content

We have had quotes from £490 up to £650 for a proper photo booth.

Some just set up a curtain and take digital pics.

We want a proper vintage booth that prints the pics in strips. Not sure yet if it will fit into our budget ?

• tinkerbelly1983
    Beginner October 2011
    tinkerbelly1983 ·
    • Hide content

I love this idea, If I had everthing I loved though we'd be spending too much!! We are having a big basket full of silly wigs, glasses and inflatable saxophones/ guitars etc as we are having a juke box for the evening. We're just getting our photographer to snap everyone in their silly things!

• LottaVictualia
    Savvy
    LottaVictualia ·
    • Hide content

I love the idea but won't be able to afford a proper one, so mine is going to be DIY. I was thinking of either picking up an instant digital/polaroid camera from ebay or hiring one (just googled 'instant camera hire' and loads came up). I'll get some nice fabric as a backdrop and provide some props and a guest book. Just be careful when you buy on ebay as some types of the polaroid films have been discounted.

• Chris Giles Photography
    Chris Giles Photography ·
    • Hide content

You could make it really easy and not worry about the instant developing route as it will be costly especially for those who get trigger happy.

A standard digital camera, on a tripod set to 5 second timer should do you fine. Hang a nice looking bedsheet up on the backgroud and your set.

I do photobooths from £200, although not strictly in the photobooth sense, more of a portable studio so the prices are quite variable. Ask your tog what they can do for you, you may be surprised.

• wedding-photographer
    wedding-photographer ·
    • Hide content

I have been commissioned for many weddings and dont supply a photo booth as yet, but I have seen people supply a polaroid or digit camera for their friends and relatives to use and then also write in the wedding book. Some of the vintage weddings also use a type writer for their guests to write well wishes for the future along with a polaroid of themselves. Also would not take much to supply a few wigs and hats and scarfs for the fun aspect? If you are wondering about a backdrop as well then you could just pin up some fairy lights, they will look really cool at night.

• ai3x
    Beginner September 2011
    ai3x ·
    • Hide content

I always supply one as part of my coverage.

Polaroids can be a touch hit and miss, if you go with one of the oldskool automatic ones you might find the quality to be a touch lacking. These days if I'm doing a polaroid booth I'll use an old 1960's manual one which plugs into all my big studio lights. Photos look amazing!

If you let me know where the wedding is I might be able to help you put something together.

Alex

• Wedding Photographer
    Wedding Photographer ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Alex

Changing the subject a lot..

Very nice website, very nice work... Loved the comment about no models and all day meaning all day, thats where we come from, and some just dont realise how different that is

Cheers - you made my morning

Richard

• LoveSka
    Beginner October 2011
    LoveSka ·
    • Hide content

It's good to read everyone's opinions and idea's.

To me a photo booth is just that a booth, , , ,

Our photographer is staying until the end of our night so that we get pics of our evening guest too.

But OH and me are both teens of we 80's and spent many a saturday afternoon in the photo booths in Woolworths.

To us the whole point of it is the grainy black n white photo strip that you get after you and your friends have squashed inside the booth to take and stood outside of the booth to wait for your printout, , , ,

those were the days, , , , lol, , , ,

• Wedding Photographer
    Wedding Photographer ·
    • Hide content

We usually provide a mini studio set up. This lets us do the photo booth thing, and some very formal shots too. If you have it staffed, then the results are usually a lot better

• LoveSka
    Beginner October 2011
    LoveSka ·
    • Hide content

Yes , , , our TOG is setting up a mini studio, that's why we at the moment we can't justify paying so much for a booth as well, , , ,

(just trying to recapture my youth, , , i'm guessing my TOG will have to go overboard on the airbrushing to compensate, , ,?)

• Wedding Photographer
    Wedding Photographer ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

In that case, just ask him to swap how he is using it during the evening. Formals early on, booth shots later on. A quick change of backdrop, and a curtain, and you will be sorted

• LoveSka
    Beginner October 2011
    LoveSka ·
    • Hide content

I think this is going to be how we do it.

I would still love the novelty factor of having an actual 80's style booth which you sit in, , , ,☹️

DAM YOU BUDGET, , , , ,

• podda999
    podda999 ·
    • Hide content

You should really check out our photo booth service which is suitable for every occasion, it is a traditional style booth which can fit up to four people in. Props and fancy dress can be supplied with the booth for no additional charge and the booth can be customised to suit the occasion. The booth prints out images instantly and for weddings double prints are available and can be added to a guest book for you. Digital images are also uploaded to our password protected website, from here you can share these images with your friends on facebook, or download these images for personal use.

for more information check out their website:

Photo Booth Weddings UK http://www.dreambooth.co.uk or http://www.dreambooth.co.uk/weddings

• Mrs Bass
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs Bass ·
    • Hide content

I know lots of brides on here have done there own, some just got props (hats, silly glasses, inflatable guitars, chalk speak bubbles) and passed them around or had a designated corner. others made frames so everyone put their head in it and ive als see OH~& dads build a set so from the front it looks like a living room wall with wallpaper and etc and lots of frames on the wall which is where the guests go behind and stick their heads in the spaces.

one TOG we saw offered to have a corner in a venue with an area ppl could go for group shots etc.

i think its something i regret not doing but i will probabl do it at my 30th birthday in a couple of years!

• Random Name
    Random Name ·
    • Hide content

We are hiring one. Like LoveSka said I wanted mine to be like old skool Woolworths. We are going to use a company called Picture Blast

• K
    Beginner October 2011
    karen945 ·
    • Hide content

WE've got a Polaroid Zink printer that does 2 inch by 3 inch instant photos. I paid GBP30 on Amazon. The papers come in packs of 10, 30 or 70. I got 70 from Maplins for GBP15. You just connect your digital camera to the printer and use Pictbridge to print. I'm a technophobe and did it so the 9to 12 year olds who are looking after it on't have any problems. I'm putting the boys in charge of refilling the printer and taking the guest book and photos around the tables.

Just thought I need to do a sign for it.?

• L
    Beginner July 2012
    libracat ·
    • Hide content

I just bought 4x6 photo paper 50 sheets for £1 in the pound shop...we're setting up our own with my partners imac

• Gurzle
    Beginner April 2013
    Gurzle ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you for this LMR- this looks perfect for us! I shall be booking them next week ?

• yes2011
    Beginner
    yes2011 ·
    • Hide content

At German weddings it has become custom that the bridesmaids ask all guests/couples/families to go to a "corner" where the photographer will take some shots. Usually the bridesmaids bring an empty frame that is decorated you can hold up to your face, or some funny hats to play around with. All the pics then go into the guestbook where some space has kept free to stick it. Maybe you can ask your photographer or a friend with a decend camera do something similar?

• E
    ExpensiveGreenCars774 ·
    • Hide content

I would really consider using a proper hire company. They are experts at what they do, and their equipment - if you go with the right company - is usually top notch.

Quirky Photo Booths wrote a good "top 5 reasons for a photo booth" blog on their website here:

https://www.quirkyphotobooths.co.uk/for-weddings/blog/

• NathalieSB
    NathalieSB ·
    • Hide content

If you go down the DIY route just make sure that that you have someone to man the booth so that they can manage:

- the tripod not being knocked over and camera breaking (people get gregarious with a few drinks!)

- camera batteries going flat

- memory cards running out

- if printing, print media jams / or paper top ups

- any adjustments if light too poor for pictures

- props going missing

- equipment going missing

- someone responsible for the guest book, glue and pens (which can get lost at the venue at the end of the evening)

- any backdrops being pulled down

- if using mains power you may need a PAT cert from the venue

- consider H&S if you have cables that people could trip over

The solution that you use may not need all the points above to be considered.

Going with a professional company will remove the worry of thinking about these things.

Hope that helps!

• B
    Bruce Neville Photography ·
    • Hide content

Wow 6 year old post showing up ☹️

• MetalBride
    Beginner April 2018
    MetalBride ·
    • Hide content

I'm using a Fujifilm instax camera and buying loads of films, the guests are then going to stick them in my guestbook and write on them. I'm not going to do a photo booth for guests as I think it's a lot of money and unnecessary, but again just my opinion, you can however get an awful lot of films for the price of a photobooth. They went be amazing quality because they aren't digital prints but that's the whole point of an instant camera. Your other choice could be one of the new digital Polaroid printers and zink paper. They're rechargeable but would possibly need plugging in more than one over the evening.

• L
    Beginner September 2017
    Lisa sofa ·
    • Hide content

We are having a diy photo booth, centred around the sofa that brought us together! I was selling it on eBay and it was my h2b that bought it!!

the venue have agreed that we can have our sofa there and we are going to buy a second hand digital camera.

i think its all about playing it your own way xx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics