Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Bluebell25
Beginner August 2013

Photobook advice please!

Bluebell25, 30 of August of 2013 at 21:22 Posted on Planning 0 13

Hello!

I'm returning from the old married bench to ask a question about Photobooks. Our photographer isn't a professional, and she'll be handing her photos over to us mostly unedited to play with and print ourselves. We'll also have photos from some friends who bought their decent cameras, so we should have quite a lot of high quality images. We'd like to get a photobook printed, but want something quite special... We saved on lots of other areas so this is one we can justify spending on. Do any photographers have any recommendations for high quality photobooks? I'm not really sure where to start, other than good old vistaprint, which I'm not 100% sure on the quality of. All advice welcome, thank you!

I suppose I ought to do a report at some point soon as well!

13 replies

Latest activity by missmandymoo, 2 of September of 2013 at 21:26
  • Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

How were the images shot by your tog? Jpeg or Raw?

FWIW, although I have never used them, I have heard some good things about Bobbooks....

hth

Peter

• Gemma Lawrence
    Gemma Lawrence ·
    • Hide content

I have purchased a Bobs Books photo book before although not for clients. It was quite good. Obviously doesn't compare to the standards of professional companies but it does the job and far better then the likes of Vistaprint. If you are happy to spend a few ££'s please avoid Vistaprint, you will only be disappointed in the result.

If the images you receive justify a few hundred being spent perhaps you could commission a photographer to build you a real bespoke/fine art album?

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content

I've also heard good things about Bob Books. Also, I was shooting for a fellow photographer friend of mine on Saturday, and her couple had designed a guest photo book with images from their pre wedding shoot from Photobox. I was really surprised with how good it looked bearing in mind where it came from!

• CharCharxx
    Beginner November 2015
    CharCharxx ·
    • Hide content

I use Photobox quite often and I'm never disappointed! They are of very high quality and as a bonus seem to run really good offers most months. Also if you sign up as a new customer you'll have free prints to enjoy!

I'd highly recommend them.

• Sarah Ellen Bailey
    Sarah Ellen Bailey ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'd agree, getting one person to put your photographs together will ensure there is some synergy. If your photos are from different sources it might be worth commissioning someone to process them and tie them all together, so they all have the same style/feel if that makes sense. You might be a processing whizz yourself though and can do all that quite happily, if so, apologies! Smiley smile

One other plus about asking a pro to do this though would be access to the really lovely higher end albums. A lot of these album suppliers (like Graphistudio - they're beautiful) only deal with photographers directly. If you've got a wedding fayre near you any time soon you'll be able to see examples of these there no doubt, so can see if it's the sort of thing you're after.

I love fiddling with ablum layouts! Enjoy putting it all together Smiley smile

• Chris Giles Photography
    Chris Giles Photography ·
    • Hide content

The Photobox premium album £99 is really good value.

I wasn't impressed by Bob Books at Focus 2013 tbh, not for the money.

• clarehj
    Beginner April 2012
    clarehj ·
    • Hide content

Our photographers recommended Bobs books to do it ourselves and we were super happy with our album

• L
    Beginner May 2014
    LauraSquirrel ·
    • Hide content

Photoworld are awesome, just bought my first book from them of my holiday pics! You download the software and design the book yourself, add text etc and then they print it for you. You can add your own backgrounds, design the cover, choose how many pages, and you just drag and drop the images in. Would say it's a great option for anyone who's pretty confident with using IT software Smiley smile

• adgabe
    adgabe ·
    • Hide content

I have never used online photobooks but I know people who used Blurb and were very happy with the result...

Andrea de Gabriel

• Bluebell25
    Beginner August 2013
    Bluebell25 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone, some great advice! The pictures are from quite a few different people, so we'll see what we have to include when we have them all back, and go from there.

Thank you x

• Elixia
    Beginner March 2014
    Elixia ·
    • Hide content

Milk books!

they're made in new zealand so I'm not sure what shipping would cost but you can put the book together yourself, as lay flat pages, linen cover linen slip or presentation box (depending on type of book) I totally going to do mine through Milk Smiley smile

• missmandymoo
    Beginner August 2014
    missmandymoo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Another vote for Milk books. Postage isn't too bad - about £14 for the album. Used it for my sister's album and very likely to use it for mine too.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics