Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

E
Beginner December 2023 Hertfordshire

Photographer

Ellen, 14 of October of 2022 at 09:02 Posted on Planning 0 5
Anyone got any top tips for finding a good and affordable photographer? I don’t know what to ask or what to look for and I feel like I am going round in circles :/

5 replies

Latest activity by Tehjpal, 13 of June of 2023 at 13:26
  • Kathryn
    Savvy April 2025 Co Londonderry
    Kathryn ·
    • Hide content
    I've started following a few on Instagram or going to their website and looking at what style they do and what I like more. By style I mean some are very artsy and modern, others very candid and documentary style, and then others very posed. I also look at my venues tagged posts on Instagram a lot to see what photographer's have done weddings there, and then follow to see their style. Some I will quickly discount because of their price or style!
    I've also started making a list of photos that I would like from the day, I heard a tip saying don't assume anything or assume photographer's will definitely shot specific things/moments!
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

Check out the websites. Look at their gallery - especially take note of whether they have a range of shots in different situations/lighting conditions/times of day. Big red flag if you only get photos in good lighting as it indicates they may not be very good at taking pictures in low light or poor weather!

Also, check out their social media page - it's easy to manipulate positive reviews on a website, but on FB etc, you can't delete reviews you don't like.

• PhotographybyBillHaddon
    Super January 3000 Leicestershire
    PhotographybyBillHaddon ·
    • Hide content

The first question is your definition of "affordable" . One thing though is that with facebook you can just set your page to not have any reviews so if you do not see any reviews available then you should ask yourself why not.

Ask how long they have been shooting weddings for and how many because it is very easy to mislead with a carefully worded website - so something to look out for is weddings, weddings - you want to see evidence of lots of different weddings on their website / social media. Example --keep an eye out for repeated photos from the same 5 weddings.

Look out for lots of photos of "stuff" i,e not photos of people, which could be an indication that they have only shot weddings as a helper for another photographer, as their job as a second shooter is informal shots and detail shots but leave the important things for the experienced photographer who has employed them for the day. Or another give away for this is -- are the couple looking at someone else as in the main photographer.

• E
    Dedicated October 2022 East London
    Ebony ·
    • Hide content
    Now, it depends on what you define as affordable. The vast majority of experienced photographers will change ****. Initially we didn't want to pay that much, I say we it was actually my fiancé but we decided we should. We found our photographer by following our wedding venues on Instagram then looked at the insta pages of the photographers we liked. We found one but he was unavailable so recommend his colleague with a similar style. We opted for the covert story telling style with a few staged pics in between.
    Our photographer was actually really nice and stayed for a couple of drinks after. We've yet to see the shots but we're really excited to see what he captured, we also took a few urban shots since we got married in London. I guess it really depends on the style you like and your budget. When looking at a photographers site rhey shoild have a good amount of their portfolio on the site for you to view.
  • T
    Derbyshire
    Tehjpal ·
    • Hide content

Hi Ellen,

Not sure if you have found anyone, I am offering a BIG discount to the first person to book me for a wedding shoot. I have done many Music & model shoots but I am venturing into weddings. Give me a shout if you trust me to capture you wedding. Search td.capturethis under photography I will also be more than happy to show you more of my work and provide reviews.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics