Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

K
Beginner February 2024 Hampshire

Photographer and videographer

Katie, 7 of February of 2022 at 13:41 Posted on Planning 0 4
Hi all! So, we are having a full day videographer at our wedding but want to have a photographer for just the ceremony, couple photos and group family photos. I’m wanting to cut costs though and not sure I can justify spending £500-800 just to have some family photos when we all have phones with cameras nowadays and I’m even into photography myself and have my own decent camera. Has anyone got ideas of how to get professional looking family photos without the unnecessary cost of a photographer? I have tried looking for a beginner photographer too but they all seem to only offer full day packages.
Thank you in advance!

4 replies

Latest activity by Louis, 18 of November of 2023 at 18:55
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

If you are getting married out of season and/or midweek, you might be able to get someone to do a half day. I would only rely on friends & family taking photos if you genuinely don't care whether or not you have any decent photos - you may get the pictures that you want, but you can't guarantee it.

Forget the idea of you taking any - you are not going to have the time. I never go anywhere without either a camera or my phone, and am constantly taking pictures - so much so that it's a standing joke people don't recognise me because my face is always hidden behind a camera! I remember wondering how I was going to feel not taking photos on my own wedding day - but when it came to it, the thought of taking pictures never even crossed my mind!

If your camera is a good one, and you have a guest who is a keen hobby photographer, you could lend it to them - but in that case, I'd suggest lending it a few days in advance so they can get used to it.

Is there a particular reason why you've gone for a full day's videography but don't want a photographer for long? I only ask because I've found that every couple I know who has both hardly ever looks at their wedding video but they have some of the photos in frames and look through their album far more often than they watch the film.

• Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content
    For us the photos are the one thing we won't scrimp on. These guys are professionals and whilst you may have a good camera and are in to photography you will never capture the lighting and angles right and pwopel The I'll forget to get pics so you can end up disappointed. The photos are the lasting memory of the day and I would really try and get a professional. Or maybe contact local collages to a enif there are any 2nd year students who would do it for a small fee to help build their portfolio, a friend did that and just covered their costs.

I agree about the video not getting watched, we asked friends who had one and they say it is just stuffed in a draw, on balance if you can only afford one I would stick with photographer over video
  • L
    Beginner March 2024 Co Antrim
    Louis ·
    • Hide content

Since you're into photography and have your own decent camera, you're already off to a good start. You might want to consider reaching out to a photography enthusiast among your friends or family. They could capture those essential family moments during the ceremony and couple photos, making it more personal and cost-effective.

• PhotographybyBillHaddon
    Super January 3000 Leicestershire
    PhotographybyBillHaddon ·
    • Hide content

AS this is an old post the OP is probably married by now, it would of been good to hear back how she got on and what she decided but as her user name is un- clickable I assume that she has left the site completely.

I will give my 2 penn'orth worth anyway.

One persons definition of "decent camera" means different things to other people, it might be fine in perfect lighting but - this is the UK so what happens if you have to shoot inside and have no flash how will it cope with that. If you really don't mind not ending up with any photos then you could risk the student or friend route. Part of the reason for professional costs is not just the expensive equipment but also all the spare equipment that best practice demands that they carry.

Also for that part of the day the photographer is your wedding co ordinator and time keeper and you could end up spending all that mingling /relax time faffing around and still not get the photos that you want.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics