Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

2013_Bride_
Beginner August 2013

Photographer Concerns :( (Update Page 12) x

2013_Bride_, 21 March, 2013 at 22:44 Posted on Planning 0 180

I've been playing ostrich with my hand in the sand over this, but have just seen something on Facebook thats made me realise I need to deal with it.

Our photographer was full of conversation before we booked, instant replies etc! We (stupidly) paid upfront (lesson learnt, no idea why we did it to be honest looking back).

Ever since, silence. OK, not quite that dramatic but I chased constantly over Facebook (we had used that before to contact each other) but kept being ignored.

Eventually got hold of the photographer, arranged an appointment, they cancelled it, arranged another, they cancelled again, asked to re-arrange, got ignored.

I need to pick the phone up and ring them, but to be honest I'm dreading them not picking up and it making me worry even more (see ostrich with head in sand).

But at the same time they do have mine and OH telephone number and have never called us, considering they cancelled on us, I think that would only be polite.

I have noticed that their usually updated Facebook page has been quiet since December. Been keeping an eye on it, and just seen another brides commented on a photo the photographer took at the beginning of December saying 'still not got my photos!!!!'. I've messaged the bride to confirm that is the case and see if she gives any other insight.

Trying to cancel them has crossed my mind in all honesty. I have the contract and this is what it says under cancellation:

CANCELLATION

If the Photographer has to cancel this contract for reasons beyond their control (injury, sickness etc.) A professional backup photographer will be provided. If the Photographer has to cancel this contract because of death, a full refund of all monies paid will be issued. Should the said wedding be postponed, then, subject to availability, all money paid may be applied to the new wedding date. In the event of Photographer taking another wedding booking on your cancelled date a full unconditional refund of your deposit and monies paid will be made.

It doesn't say anything about if we want to cancel?

When I do get hold of them I'm going to be telling them that the message from the other bride has really made me question the booking!!!!

180 replies

Latest activity by 2013_Bride_, 23 April, 2013 at 12:03
  • Rhys Parker
    Rhys Parker ·
    • Hide content

Delete

• Mrspetal
    Beginner February 2014
    Mrspetal ·
    • Hide content

Yes I agree with this. I hope you get your money back.

• 2013_Bride_
    Beginner August 2013
    2013_Bride_ ·
    • Hide content

Thanks. Guess I'm scared they will say no and we will end up £775 out of pocket if we still go elsewhere. Don't know what to do for the best but they have made me nervous. OH thinks it will be fine. Can they refund even though we have signed a contract etc? I've never has to cancel a supplier before!

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

Oh lovely, this doesn't sound good. Does it say in the contract that a deposit needed to be put down to secure the date? If so perhaps you could ask for the rest back minus the deposit as it wasn't necessary for you to put the full amount down I'm assuming?

• 2013_Bride_
    Beginner August 2013
    2013_Bride_ ·
    • Hide content

That could be an option Daffodil. They do such lovely photos as well :-( But I keep imagining them cancelling on the day or something. I don't feel 'safe' using them. plus good photos are useless if you don't ever get to see them! How quIckly do normal photographers turn photos around?

I sHould add both times they cancelled they had 'valid' excuses but (well, I think their first cancellation was far fetched but second time it was snow) but its the fact she's not bothered to contact us since.

• Rhys Parker
    Rhys Parker ·
    • Hide content

Delete

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

I would try calling them explain you have lost in confidence in their service and wish to cancel and would like a refund, then follow up with a letter or email reiterating the matters discussed and agreed.

• Chris Giles Photography
    Chris Giles Photography ·
    • Hide content

Sometimes, just sometimes togs go bad. A bit like 'when animals go wild' but with less fur.

If you paid them up front and they're being unresponsive I'd just go around and say hello unannounced. You've got good reason to.

But, it's unfortunate all the same. I'm going to be very honest about this in that you'll probably have to write this off.

What you paid wasn't an unusually low amount, it was low but not low for someone who does it at the weekends for example.

If you have wedding insurance then great, if you don't then you're a bit stuck, sorry. Once the trust is broken, especially over photos I'd be going elsewhere.

Togs especially are dropping like flies. The good ones with a good business mind are fine but this year in particular I've had 5 emergency emails where the togs have gone AWOL. I'm assuming it's directly associated with price also as when I quote them my rates (which are average) I never hear back.

Many people have jumped into this profession thinking they could do it and are realizing the actually can't. Your tog may of lost the enthusiasm for it.

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

I can't speak for others but I turn mine around in two weeks. Do you want to PM the company and I can see if I've heard of them?

• 2013_Bride_
    Beginner August 2013
    2013_Bride_ ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone. Going to speak to OH about it. Heard back from the other bride and she's confirmed that she hasn't received them (wedding 9th December) and that she's chased her in every way possible and not got hold of her. The photographer has now got in touch (last night) since the message was left and said she will give her their photos on Sunday and that she's been ill (which they don't believe as they know she was still talking to other people).

What sort of reasons do you think I need to give for cancelling? Do I just be honest and say because of the experience so far? I'm so annoyed with myself. She probably wouldn't be ignoring me if I hadn't paid it all upfront!

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

Also how did you pay? If credit card or paypal you should be able to claim the money back. (or through wedding insurance if you have any)

• 2013_Bride_
    Beginner August 2013
    2013_Bride_ ·
    • Hide content

Sorry on iPad so keep coss posting with everyone! Can't keep up Smiley smile

I just need to prepare myself In case she says no and know what I need to say, threaten solicitor or something?

I do have wedding insurance but as its my choice to cancel not sure ill be able to claim, will check policy tomorrow.

• 2013_Bride_
    Beginner August 2013
    2013_Bride_ ·
    • Hide content

Paid by bank transfer Funky.

• Chris Giles Photography
    Chris Giles Photography ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Same here.

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

If they are going to respond to you it will definitely be when you ask for your money back! They won't want that so I'd be honest and that way there are less excuses. They might come back with answers to your reasons for cancelling but you need to make up your mind before that if they do, will you be happy still going ahead. If the answer is no then I would insist on the refund.

• 2013_Bride_
    Beginner August 2013
    2013_Bride_ ·
    • Hide content

I tried to pm daffodil but iPad won't send it. Will try again from laptop tomorrow xx thanks

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

No problem. My email is ******@*************.**.** if that helps

• 2013_Bride_
    Beginner August 2013
    2013_Bride_ ·
    • Hide content

Thanks. This is it, I do love the style of photos and we did look elsewhere and pick them etc. I'm also worried I won't find anyone else decent now too.

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

You'll find someone decent, obviously the concern here is the money. The last thing you want to do is pay a second time for a photographer. Getting your money back would relieve this stress so don't worry too much about not finding someone else.

• 2013_Bride_
    Beginner August 2013
    2013_Bride_ ·
    • Hide content

Yes your right Daffodil, its not a worry I won't find someone else at all, its the fact we might end up paying twice over.

• mariannechuaphotography
    mariannechuaphotography ·
    • Hide content

Oh dear, sorry to hear about this, I would definitely retract as fast as possible. What area are you in? I would also be interested in hearing who it is as we just chased a photographer all over the internet for other reasons, just wondering if it's the same person! As Chris says... sometimes they drop, it's terrible really not to at least give you notice so you can sort it out.

• 2013_Bride_
    Beginner August 2013
    2013_Bride_ ·
    • Hide content

Removed

• 2013_Bride_
    Beginner August 2013
    2013_Bride_ ·
    • Hide content

I'm based in Northants area, East Midlands

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

Got it. I'll chat tomorrow when you can email x

• Hide content

Seen it, not hear dof her sorry Smiley smile Good luck with it though, I will have a peek now at their site

• 2013_Bride_
    Beginner August 2013
    2013_Bride_ ·
    • Hide content

Thanks all for your advice.

I'm glad I finally have opened up and discussed it, I have genuinely been burying my head in the sand over it.

Daffodil - I've messaged you on facebook as couldn't get PM to work even on my laptop.

• Hide content

To be honest all her stuff looks legit, I would be surprised if she just drops off the radar, got a lot of FB likes, seems to be an active business up until, as you say, this year.

• 2013_Bride_
    Beginner August 2013
    2013_Bride_ ·
    • Hide content

Yeah. I'm not sure what she is up to? Been saying to OH for ages maybe she has got a 'normal' job now... as thats what it looks like?

Just gone completely quiet.

I know she got engaged herself around Xmas, maybe to busy planning her own wedding now!

My best friend is friends with her personal profile so I've text her asking to do some snooping about her activity on there in past months.

Still think I want to cancel though, my instinct just isn't sitting easy with this which is exactly why I've been trying to ignore it.

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I would never trust the likes on FB.....

• Hide content
    View quoted message

but surely they either have a lot of con friends or have lots of clients? Can you fake FB page likes?!

• 3d jewellery
    3d jewellery ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

she could have run a competition where the entrants had to like and share

• 2013_Bride_
    Beginner August 2013
    2013_Bride_ ·
    • Hide content

Thanks all.

So I don't think she is non-legit, I just think she is a nightmare with time management and puts things off as long as she can?

I've done some more research. One of my BMs works with her dad and her uncle, and also another girl who is using her for her wedding.

Said girl has found it impossible to get hold of her as well, but finally has (after getting the dad involved) and is optimistic again.

I also know of someone who is the photographers family and even they had to wait an eternity to get their photos after their big day :-(

I've contacted her today on Facebook and by e-mail, and I've been putting together a letter I'm going to send if no reply. Will call / text too.

OH thinks we need to try and get hold of her and tell her our concerns rather than out-right saying 'we are cancelling' because he doesn't think we will get the money back.

I'm a bit more nervous, thinking even if I do get hold of her what is to say she won't do to us what she has everyone else?

Looked at contract, nothing in there about turn around times :-( Thinking if I do get hold of her and continue I'm going to ask her to sign something that confirms 14 day turnaround?

Oh and also, I've *never* received a signed contract from her despite chasing it. I signed, returned and paid, but thats it. Does this give me any leeway do you think?!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics