Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

2013_Bride_
Beginner August 2013

Photographer Concerns :( (Update Page 12) x

2013_Bride_, 21 March, 2013 at 22:44

Posted on Planning 180

I've been playing ostrich with my hand in the sand over this, but have just seen something on Facebook thats made me realise I need to deal with it. Our photographer was full of conversation before we booked, instant replies etc! We (stupidly) paid upfront (lesson learnt, no idea why we did it to be...

I've been playing ostrich with my hand in the sand over this, but have just seen something on Facebook thats made me realise I need to deal with it.

Our photographer was full of conversation before we booked, instant replies etc! We (stupidly) paid upfront (lesson learnt, no idea why we did it to be honest looking back).

Ever since, silence. OK, not quite that dramatic but I chased constantly over Facebook (we had used that before to contact each other) but kept being ignored.

Eventually got hold of the photographer, arranged an appointment, they cancelled it, arranged another, they cancelled again, asked to re-arrange, got ignored.

I need to pick the phone up and ring them, but to be honest I'm dreading them not picking up and it making me worry even more (see ostrich with head in sand).

But at the same time they do have mine and OH telephone number and have never called us, considering they cancelled on us, I think that would only be polite.

I have noticed that their usually updated Facebook page has been quiet since December. Been keeping an eye on it, and just seen another brides commented on a photo the photographer took at the beginning of December saying 'still not got my photos!!!!'. I've messaged the bride to confirm that is the case and see if she gives any other insight.

Trying to cancel them has crossed my mind in all honesty. I have the contract and this is what it says under cancellation:

CANCELLATION

If the Photographer has to cancel this contract for reasons beyond their control (injury, sickness etc.) A professional backup photographer will be provided. If the Photographer has to cancel this contract because of death, a full refund of all monies paid will be issued. Should the said wedding be postponed, then, subject to availability, all money paid may be applied to the new wedding date. In the event of Photographer taking another wedding booking on your cancelled date a full unconditional refund of your deposit and monies paid will be made.

It doesn't say anything about if we want to cancel?

When I do get hold of them I'm going to be telling them that the message from the other bride has really made me question the booking!!!!

180 replies

• Mrs Monkey
    Beginner July 2013
    Mrs Monkey ·
    • Hide content

I would definately cancel - you need to be 100% happy and comfortabe with all the suppliers you use for your wedding. Do you have wedding insurance? Maybe you could speak to them about helping to get your money back.

• Simon and Alison
    Beginner
    Simon and Alison ·
    • Hide content

To be honest, I'd cancel if you can. Part of providing any business is customer service, whether this be replying to emails, sorting out paperwork quickly and being reliable. If you can't get hold of her for answers before your wedding, imagine what it might be like afterwards when you're waiting for your photos...

It's bad that she never got the signed contract to you, but as you've signed it I'm not sure whether that would give you any leeway. Do you have an address for her? If she's not responding to emails and phone messages I'd be tempted to turn up on her doorstep myself to get some answers.

Ali x

• Rhys Parker
    Rhys Parker ·
    • Hide content

Delete

• 2013_Bride_
    Beginner August 2013
    2013_Bride_ ·
    • Hide content

Thanks all. Personally I want to cancel but I don't want OH to feel like I'm just 'doing what I want' (he wants me to keep trying to contact her first).

I'll ask him to start chasing her too though and agree on a cut-off (and in the meantime I'm searching for someone else).

I said to OH even if I get hold of her I'm still nervous about it / her actually doing what she is meant to.

His take on it is she isn't going to not show up (but I think what good is that if we don't get the photos?!)

Rhys - have PM'd you.

• mariannechuaphotography
    mariannechuaphotography ·
    • Hide content

In terms of turnaround time for photos, it differs massively, but if a tog is taking a long time it implies they've taken on too much work and have an editing backlog. To exception is with albums, which do take a long time because often it's another company making it and there's a bit of to-ing and fro-ing. But if it's photos only on disc, no it shouldn't take like 3 months.

• 2013_Bride_
    Beginner August 2013
    2013_Bride_ ·
    • Hide content

If you send someone a message on facebook and you still have it open so can see when they have 'seen' it (it says 'seen at xxx time' - will it remain there even if you then mark it back to unread? I can see it has been opened, not had a response, wondering if she has tried to mark it as unread so I don't know its been seen but I had the conversation open so that I could watch it / make sure it wasn't marked as unread. Hope this makes sense...

• Simon and Alison
    Beginner
    Simon and Alison ·
    • Hide content

How many times have you tried to contact her?

The thing is too, if you don't have a signed contract back from her then maybe she won't show up on the day - sorry to sound so negative but it all sounds really fishy to me... If she doesn't show then you don't have anything in writing to say she should have been there

• 2013_Bride_
    Beginner August 2013
    2013_Bride_ ·
    • Hide content

I have my version signed but not anything from her.

Yes your right, it really does. I've always worried she won't turn up and send some rubbish amateur in her place, as it says in contract if shes ill she can send someone else :-(

I have tried to contact her a few times, admittedly could have been more but like I said in OP - been burying head in the sand over it.

She has made some contact, but its usually after a couple of weeks of chasing, its one reply saying for example 'when can you do the appointment' then hear no more for weeks again, etc.

Like my messages from today I don't expect to be answered for a number of weeks even though I know she's seen them!

• Simon and Alison
    Beginner
    Simon and Alison ·
    • Hide content

That's really poor, it only takes a minute to reply to a message to re-assure you that all is ok. Might be worth sending her a message saying how concerned you are and that you're thinking about cancelling (if you haven't already), as you've said you can see when it's been read on facebook so maybe send it that way first. That might shock her into replying, maybe she's just super laid back!

• 2013_Bride_
    Beginner August 2013
    2013_Bride_ ·
    • Hide content

I can see that you have read my message. I really like your photography but I am becoming increasingly concerned with the lack of communication / fact that my attempts to contact you are being ignored. This tied with feedback from other brides and brides to be has really made me consider whether our booking needs to be cancelled and all monies refunded. If you don't want to deal with our booking, please tell me, I'd much rather we mutually agreed to cancel the arrangement than be messed around / not receive the service I have paid for / having to get small courts involved etc.

Too harsh at this stage?

Do you think I need to give her till the end of the day? I sent it and she read it at around 9.30am... before this the last time i tried to contact her was a few weeks ago (but no reply). I think she will know I'm worrying though as my message simply said 'please get in touch' and I've sent it to 3 different facebook accounts plus her e-mails. I'm now aware she works, so perhaps she is working now and thats why she hasn't replied....

• Simon and Alison
    Beginner
    Simon and Alison ·
    • Hide content

Even is she's working she can still reply, she's obviously logged on to facebook so could send you something even if it's just a short reply - when we first started out we both had full time jobs but still responded to all emails the day they arrived.

I think your message is fine, yep give her until 7pm or so in case she is at work during the day. What do you think you'll do next?

• 2013_Bride_
    Beginner August 2013
    2013_Bride_ ·
    • Hide content

Thanks.

I don't know....

I would take her to small courts etc over this though so I really hope she is just sensible and refunds.

I'm going to speak to our wedding insurance about it too.

If she does get in touch then I don't know what I will do.... as thats going to throw us isn't it?

I'm kind of set to cancel and find someone else, OH isn't, so if she gets back to us with all the reassurances in the world I'd imagine we would stick with it.

But I'll carry on worrying that my photos are never going to arrive etc :-(

I'd definitely ask for it in writing and signed that she will deliver our photos within 6 weeks though!!

And I'd only be doing this because its what OH thinks is best, not because its what I want to do.

• Rhys Parker
    Rhys Parker ·
    • Hide content

Delete

• 2013_Bride_
    Beginner August 2013
    2013_Bride_ ·
    • Hide content

Rhys - will delete this but its;

• Rhys Parker
    Rhys Parker ·
    • Hide content

Thanks...

• Simon and Alison
    Beginner
    Simon and Alison ·
    • Hide content

It must be difficult when your OH isn't thinking the same as you. If she does reply and all seems ok, definitely get both the contract from her and also the photo delivery within 6 weeks, that sounds really sensible. Without the contract you might struggle. How did you pay her? If it was via bank transfer or card then at least you have a record of that.

If she doesn't reply then I'd definitely mention small claims court, might be worth sending that to her in writing and by recorded delivery, hopefully if she is just busy that'll shock her in to action.

If she does reply, and you still have major doubts then please try and convince your OH to agree to finding a new photographer, we hear too many stories of couples not receiving their wedding photos, and that should never happen

• 2013_Bride_
    Beginner August 2013
    2013_Bride_ ·
    • Hide content

Thanks.

OH is just worried about the cost involved in finding someone new as he thinks we need to accept if we cancel we won't get money back.

I know he is right, and there is still a chance to get a good outcome of this, but I'm still worried obviously.

Yes, got a letter ready to go and will be sending it by recorded delivery. Been advised small claims will need this sort of evidence so trying to keep contact in writing format.

We paid by bank transfer so have a record of it.

• 2013_Bride_
    Beginner August 2013
    2013_Bride_ ·
    • Hide content

I honestly think she probably won't have the money to refund it to us. Thats not our problem I know, but what do we do if she doesn't play ball because she's not kept it separate until the wedding was done and dusted / knew we wouldn't ask for it back? Do we give her a month or two to refund but get it agreed by contract that it is being refunded?

• Simon and Alison
    Beginner
    Simon and Alison ·
    • Hide content

I had a quick look on her website too, all looks pretty professional. It is weird that she's not updated her facebook page for ages though.

Hope you get a reply today, keep us updated - will keep my fingers crossed for you!

• 2013_Bride_
    Beginner August 2013
    2013_Bride_ ·
    • Hide content

Thanks. I've heard on the grapevine that she is now working when before I think she may have been doing this full-tme (or trying to) - so that could be why.

The quietness is what started my worry off. I don't think she is a con artist, she's just really not good at providing a good service and she won't last being like that!

• Rhys Parker
    Rhys Parker ·
    • Hide content

Delete

• 2013_Bride_
    Beginner August 2013
    2013_Bride_ ·
    • Hide content

Rhys were have you spotted that?

Another downfall on our side, we never confirmed how many photos we would get on our disc Smiley sad

Kicking myself.

This is the package we have;

Disk Only £900
    2 informal meetings with Bride and Groom before wedding*
    Full day coverage**
    All edited images high resolution on disk

* The two informal meetings are so we can discuss the 'must have'
    photos, making a list of family shots and discussing the styles. First
    meeting a few weeks after booking to suit couple, second a few weeks
    before ceremony to finalise what we have discussed.
    **Full day coverage includes from Bride getting ready/Groom at church
    to the first dance and one hour of disco.

• Hide content

F me, yes I missed that, 50 images!!?!! I would go for disc only for the best value. Bejeez....

• Rhys Parker
    Rhys Parker ·
    • Hide content

Delete
  • 2013_Bride_
    Beginner August 2013
    2013_Bride_ ·
    • Hide content

Oh! Actually - I did ask, its between 350-450 images on the disc.

• Hide content

Yeah the package you have is probably the best value. About 400 images per wedding is ok

(Sorry, I gotta say I hate constant 45 degree angling, it just strikes me as a lazy way to look "arty", my hobbyist friend does it constantly and it bugs me so much!)

• Rhys Parker
    Rhys Parker ·
    • Hide content

Delete

• 2013_Bride_
    Beginner August 2013
    2013_Bride_ ·
    • Hide content

I'm kind of hoping she doesn't reply so we can just get rid...

• Rhys Parker
    Rhys Parker ·
    • Hide content

Delete

• Rhys Parker
    Rhys Parker ·
    • Hide content

Delete

• Hide content

Yeah I can't say too much though as people probably look at my stuff and don't like it, creative differences etc. Just 45 degreeing reminded me of my friend and compelled me... lol

To OP, if you find you can't get your deposit back I'm actually half the price of your tog so if you liked my work and I'm in your region, you wouldn't have to take any extra out of your budget that you hadn't originally planned to pay anyway.

• 2013_Bride_
    Beginner August 2013
    2013_Bride_ ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This has been worrying me too :-(

I jumped in too quick, I'll be warning other new brides to be on here!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics