Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

2013_Bride_
Beginner August 2013

Photographer Concerns :( (Update Page 12) x

2013_Bride_, 21 March, 2013 at 22:44

Posted on Planning 180

I've been playing ostrich with my hand in the sand over this, but have just seen something on Facebook thats made me realise I need to deal with it. Our photographer was full of conversation before we booked, instant replies etc! We (stupidly) paid upfront (lesson learnt, no idea why we did it to be...

I've been playing ostrich with my hand in the sand over this, but have just seen something on Facebook thats made me realise I need to deal with it.

Our photographer was full of conversation before we booked, instant replies etc! We (stupidly) paid upfront (lesson learnt, no idea why we did it to be honest looking back).

Ever since, silence. OK, not quite that dramatic but I chased constantly over Facebook (we had used that before to contact each other) but kept being ignored.

Eventually got hold of the photographer, arranged an appointment, they cancelled it, arranged another, they cancelled again, asked to re-arrange, got ignored.

I need to pick the phone up and ring them, but to be honest I'm dreading them not picking up and it making me worry even more (see ostrich with head in sand).

But at the same time they do have mine and OH telephone number and have never called us, considering they cancelled on us, I think that would only be polite.

I have noticed that their usually updated Facebook page has been quiet since December. Been keeping an eye on it, and just seen another brides commented on a photo the photographer took at the beginning of December saying 'still not got my photos!!!!'. I've messaged the bride to confirm that is the case and see if she gives any other insight.

Trying to cancel them has crossed my mind in all honesty. I have the contract and this is what it says under cancellation:

CANCELLATION

If the Photographer has to cancel this contract for reasons beyond their control (injury, sickness etc.) A professional backup photographer will be provided. If the Photographer has to cancel this contract because of death, a full refund of all monies paid will be issued. Should the said wedding be postponed, then, subject to availability, all money paid may be applied to the new wedding date. In the event of Photographer taking another wedding booking on your cancelled date a full unconditional refund of your deposit and monies paid will be made.

It doesn't say anything about if we want to cancel?

When I do get hold of them I'm going to be telling them that the message from the other bride has really made me question the booking!!!!

180 replies

• 2013_Bride_
    Beginner August 2013
    2013_Bride_ ·
    • Hide content

Rhys its what I want to do too but we don't think we will get our money back and thats our main concern / driver for trying to make it work.Rather than jump in and say we want to cancel / them refuse to refund / us having to fork out for someone else.

I think after a few more attempts / her ignoring OH will feel the same as me and definitely want to cancel and say the money lost isn't the end of the world (I hope!). But I do also think when she receives my message saying along the lines of 'if you don't want to do our wedding' she will jump up and say No I do! I'm sorry?

Its a Saturday, beginning of August.

• 2013_Bride_
    Beginner August 2013
    2013_Bride_ ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks.

• Rhys Parker
    Rhys Parker ·
    • Hide content

Delete

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

The OP paid in full.

I'm keeping everything crossed for you lovely. I think your email sounded fine and I'm surprised she hasn't responded to it already.

• mariannechuaphotography
    mariannechuaphotography ·
    • Hide content

That's fine, I have nothing to hide! I do photography part time to supplement my studies (I'm a PhD student in nothing related to photography) and I am fairly new, I did my very first wedding last august, so I'm charging £450 this year whilst I'm gaining experience and I think it's just because I'd be a bit worried about charging professional prices whilst I'm still developing my skills. A lot of the togs on here are full time and have overheads to cover and bills to pay, which is why they're more, not to mention they'll be more experienced than me as well.

However I am insured, and have professional equipment and back ups and contract etc. so I'm not half baked about it, the plan is to go full time once I finish my thesis. I take a max of 2/3 weddings a month so I have time for my uni work. A few Hitched brides have met me in person so you're welcome to ask them how many heads and eyeballs I have haha.

I deliver between 500-700 images based on the wedding size, I don't do albums etc. or any fancy presentation though which is how my costs stay low, the fee is largely my time.

P.S I typed that message and then ironically spoke to my PhD supervisor on the phone which explains the delay, don't worry OP I didn't mind you asking at all Smiley winking

• Hide content
    View quoted message

Awww nooo Smiley sad I saw on the site it was 50% deposit

• 2013_Bride_
    Beginner August 2013
    2013_Bride_ ·
    • Hide content

Thanks. Marian I'm sorry, my forum skills need some work! I realised after asking that I should have PM'd you with that question (hence then removing it). But thanks for your open response and I do completely understand / see where you are coming from. We did pay in full (stupid I know). Her family are all based in our town (Friend works with Dad, etc) so we thought we wouldn't have any problems - I completely trusted her, service before we paid was second to none. Ever since she has gone quiet though and I've been more active on here I've realised that her work isn't that 'amazing' and I should have asked / investigated more. I'm also kicking myself for not realising / considering using a non-local TOG!

Daffodil - I've not sent that message I put in here yet. Just lots of 'Can you get in touch please' to her various accounts etc. I thought if she did ring I'd tell her over the phone how I felt and back it up, plus OH didn't want me to go in all guns blazing (I really can be quite assertive when I need to be!). If I haven't got a response by tonight I'm sending what I posted on here.

• flowersinherhair
    Beginner April 2014
    flowersinherhair ·
    • Hide content

Hi

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

Ah OK, fingers crossed she replies

• 2013_Bride_
    Beginner August 2013
    2013_Bride_ ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Will keep you posted!

Not sure I'll make it to 7pm before sending it! I'm far too impatient! Lol.

• Hide content
    View quoted message

I can see why you wouldn't expect things to go awry, you know what, it might still be fine, as you said the other bride was happy in the end, it does just come down to how comfortable you feel. Say if she gets in touch and you meet up and chat with her, maybe just ask her to be open and frank about what her situation is with this other job. If you approach her in a "look I'm not mad but I'd rather just know how it is" way she might fess up to why there's been delays in delivering the photos. Also probably worth asking her for hard and fast deadlines. I agree with OH not to go in all guns blazing and spook the horse as such lol Good luck though, let us know how it goes!

• Simon and Alison
    Beginner
    Simon and Alison ·
    • Hide content

Just a thought, might be worth contacting the bride who posted on her facebook page saying that she hasn't had her photos - she might be able to give you an idea of what's going on.....

Ali x

• 2013_Bride_
    Beginner August 2013
    2013_Bride_ ·
    • Hide content

Ali, I have Smiley smile

So Bride numero one who is the one who left the comment about not receiving her photos - I contacted her and she confirmed. She said she's been chasing her everyday for months and got no reply, even had to contact Princes Trust to track her down. She only got in touch after she left that message on her facebook and said she had sent the photos but they got sent back (Bride said to me she didn't believe that as no letter from post office) and she is now expecting them to be hand delivered on Sunday. Photographer said she had been ill (again, Bride said you would just get in touch and say that).

Bride numero two, who is a bride to be like myself, again has been contacting her every day and her tip for me was to 'keep nagging' (don't feel I should have to). She's now had contact but only because she went to the photographers Dad and pushed him to encourage his daughter to get in touch. Think they are now in contact again so she's calm and not worried anymore (photographer was making her invites and thats what she primarily chasing for). She also got told they had been sent and the post office had sent them back....plus she said that she couldn't open all of her messages chasing them etc (she has said this to me, not getting them / cant open them, etc).

• N
    Beginner July 2014
    neo_kat26 ·
    • Hide content

Cant you go to trading standards or something? Surely they could advise you on the best way to deal with this. I would try and contact her via her dad or people who know her. Dont worry about being rude she is being rude to you by not getting back to you!

• 2013_Bride_
    Beginner August 2013
    2013_Bride_ ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Funny you should say that as I did wonder whether it was acceptable or completely out of order to send a message to her Mother and ask her to have a word! (If it comes to it, I'll give the girl a chance to reply to my e-mail telling her how unhappy I am first).

• Simon and Alison
    Beginner
    Simon and Alison ·
    • Hide content

Doesn't sound good that there are two brides with major issues. Really hope you get this sorted, think the ideal outcome would be for her to give you a refund....

If she doesn't reply to you after you've sent the letter then I'd be tempted to contact her dad too - not nice to have to do that but if she can't run a business properly, and has your money, then what else can you do?

Awful that you're in this situation, really feel for you!

• 2013_Bride_
    Beginner August 2013
    2013_Bride_ ·
    • Hide content

Thanks.

It is partly my own fault though, this wouldn't be such a big issue if I hadn't paid upfront!

• Simon and Alison
    Beginner
    Simon and Alison ·
    • Hide content

The wonder of hindsight ? Try not to stress though, it will get sorted one way or another. At least you're doing something now rather than a few weeks before your wedding x

• 2013_Bride_
    Beginner August 2013
    2013_Bride_ ·
    • Hide content

From our insurance policy, don't think we covered until the day when she actually doesn't show up (what good is that?!) - unless non-appearance can be considered from now if she continues to ignore us?

You are covered up to the amount stated in the benefits schedule to reimburse you for unforeseen expenses necessarily incurred to take/re-take wedding photographs or videos or refund any non-recoverable amount which you originally contracted to pay as a direct and necessary consequence of;
    a. non-appearance for any reason of the professional photographer or professional video operator contracted for the wedding.
    b. loss of or damage to the original film or negatives, or loss

or damage to whatever digital media on which the photographic images are being stored, by the professional photographer or professional video operator contracted for the wedding, before copies are made such that final prints cannot be produced.

Cover under this section commences from the date the premium is paid, and applies until delivery of the photographs or video not exceeding 90 days after the wedding reception date or a claim being made under this section of the policy, whichever occurs first.

If it is planned to take photographs of the couple cutting the wedding cake, we will pay up to the amount stated in the benefits schedule to arrange an alternative photographic session necessitated by damage to the wedding cake occurring within 48 hours before the conclusion of the reception. ANY EVENT THAT MAY LEAD TO A CLAIM BEING MADE FOR RE-TAKING THE PHOTOGRAPHS OF THE CAKE-CUTTING CEREMONY MUST BE NOTIFIED TO THE CLAIMS SERVICE WITHIN 48 HOURS OF OCCURRENCE.

IMPORTANT
    In respect of points a and b above cover will only apply if more than 75% of the photographs originally commissioned and paid for are not provided by the professional photographer or professional video operator contracted for the wedding.

You are not covered for

a. losses recoverable from any other source.
    b. losses which may effectively be claimed under section 1 - cancellation & rearrangement of the wedding and/or reception of this certificate.
    c. any costs which would have been incurred had the original supplier not failed to meet their contractual obligations.
    d. contracts not in writing.
    e. financial failure of any service provider.

• Rhys Parker
    Rhys Parker ·
    • Hide content

Delete

• 2013_Bride_
    Beginner August 2013
    2013_Bride_ ·
    • Hide content

Yes our contract states 2 meetings, I thought her get out on that one could be because there is still 4 months (time to do them).

I'm not very good with stuff like this!

• flowersinherhair
    Beginner April 2014
    flowersinherhair ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Doh I wrote a detailed reply here as we had similar problems but got a much better TOG in the end, i have no doubt that the same will happen for you. It is worth cancelling just for the relief alone. Good luck, am sure you'll get it sorted.

• 2013_Bride_
    Beginner August 2013
    2013_Bride_ ·
    • Hide content

Sent the message now (and its been read).

OH has said without me even suggesting it that we should book someone else and that £800 is not worth worrying about.

But basically if she refuses to refund we are still going to request she photographs the wedding and put her in second photographer position if that makes sense?

Then if she doesn't show up then we can just claim on our insurance!

Its unfortunate to go down that route and I'm hoping she will just refund but I feel relieved to know we are going to look elsewhere.

• 2013_Bride_
    Beginner August 2013
    2013_Bride_ ·
    • Hide content

Had a reply.

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This may not work - would depend on the new photographer's agreement I believe.

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Which is?

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

As Mrs C said, you'll have to double check the T&C's of the other photographer you hire in. Many pros will have it in their contract that they are the only contracted photographer on the day.

I've just read through the thread and it's a horrible situation for you to be in- there's no excuse for a lack of contact and I can see why it would play on your mind to the extent that you felt you have no choice but to seek the services of someone else. You've been far more patient and understanding than I think I would be.

A courtesy email takes 2 minutes, you're not asking a lot. When we first started out we were managing 2 full time jobs alongside running the business and still always managed to get back to emails and so on. It's not difficult, so personally, if that's offered as an excuse I don't feel that's acceptable. It's tiring and time consuming, but if you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen.

You've had some good advice so far and I really hope that you're able to get this sorted quickly and easily, inclusive of a refund. Keep us updated and I'm sure we're all here and happy to offer further advice if you need it. Stay positive!

• B
    Beginner August 2013
    butterfly2016 ·
    • Hide content

Followed this whole thread - what did she say?

• 2013_Bride_
    Beginner August 2013
    2013_Bride_ ·
    • Hide content

Removed so TOG can't see.

• Rhys Parker
    Rhys Parker ·
    • Hide content

Delete

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

I'm with Rhys.

If we ever have issues with our email (and it can happen from time to time) the first thing we do is post a notification on our Facebook/Twitter etc letting brides know of the issue. Therefore if they've contacted us and we've not replied they'll know why. We also post an alternate non-business email address that we can be contacted on, along with our phone numbers. These are basic, common sense things to do- so if they're not being done, i'd wonder what else isn't.

• 2013_Bride_
    Beginner August 2013
    2013_Bride_ ·
    • Hide content

I agree, but hoping now we have threatened seeking legal aid on this that ideas will be bucked.

I've asked for them to change our contract to include a 4 week turn around of the images and we have our first consultation meeting this weekend.

Thanks for all your help on this. I was ready to cancel but it was pretty obvious we wouldn't get our money back so thought one last chance (hopefully not to our detriment).

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics