Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

2013_Bride_
Beginner August 2013

Photographer Concerns :( (Update Page 12) x

2013_Bride_, 21 March, 2013 at 22:44

Posted on Planning 180

I've been playing ostrich with my hand in the sand over this, but have just seen something on Facebook thats made me realise I need to deal with it. Our photographer was full of conversation before we booked, instant replies etc! We (stupidly) paid upfront (lesson learnt, no idea why we did it to be...

I've been playing ostrich with my hand in the sand over this, but have just seen something on Facebook thats made me realise I need to deal with it.

Our photographer was full of conversation before we booked, instant replies etc! We (stupidly) paid upfront (lesson learnt, no idea why we did it to be honest looking back).

Ever since, silence. OK, not quite that dramatic but I chased constantly over Facebook (we had used that before to contact each other) but kept being ignored.

Eventually got hold of the photographer, arranged an appointment, they cancelled it, arranged another, they cancelled again, asked to re-arrange, got ignored.

I need to pick the phone up and ring them, but to be honest I'm dreading them not picking up and it making me worry even more (see ostrich with head in sand).

But at the same time they do have mine and OH telephone number and have never called us, considering they cancelled on us, I think that would only be polite.

I have noticed that their usually updated Facebook page has been quiet since December. Been keeping an eye on it, and just seen another brides commented on a photo the photographer took at the beginning of December saying 'still not got my photos!!!!'. I've messaged the bride to confirm that is the case and see if she gives any other insight.

Trying to cancel them has crossed my mind in all honesty. I have the contract and this is what it says under cancellation:

CANCELLATION

If the Photographer has to cancel this contract for reasons beyond their control (injury, sickness etc.) A professional backup photographer will be provided. If the Photographer has to cancel this contract because of death, a full refund of all monies paid will be issued. Should the said wedding be postponed, then, subject to availability, all money paid may be applied to the new wedding date. In the event of Photographer taking another wedding booking on your cancelled date a full unconditional refund of your deposit and monies paid will be made.

It doesn't say anything about if we want to cancel?

When I do get hold of them I'm going to be telling them that the message from the other bride has really made me question the booking!!!!

180 replies

• 2013_Bride_
    Beginner August 2013
    2013_Bride_ ·
    • Hide content

In regards to your refund, I will write and send three post dated cheques on Tuesday of this week. They will each have the last Friday of the month as the date.

Thats what she said, I have asked for clarification whether that means I can cash them all on Friday.

Just realised - that means last Friday of each month doesn't it?

What do we think to this?!

Why when she had all my money upfront? Surely she should keep it somewhere not spend it until our weddings done and dusted?

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

That's because unfortunately there are too many chancers setting up shop (so to speak) who think it's good, easy money. Their hearts are not truly in it.

With the economy how it is at the moment people are looking for other sources of income. To many it seems a quick fix...buy some chair covers or sweet jars and charge people to hire them. The result being that people with no knowledge or experience of the wedding industry go into business thinking they can just buy a fancy looking camera, or some embellishments from hobbycraft and make a quick buck. They do not realise the true cost or extent of what is involved in these "simple" ventures and end up giving shoddy service.

There are some fantastic suppliers out there who invest so much of themselves into what they do and are genuinely lovely people. We've had the pleasure of working with lots of them, so they definitely exist.

I really hope you start having some better experiences as it doesn't sound like you've had a great time of it so far ☹️

It's one of the biggest, most important days of your life so definitely don't settle for second best if someone isn't being very helpful.

OP, I really hope this is something that is sorted for you soon. What a huge weight off of your shoulders that will be.

• 2013_Bride_
    Beginner August 2013
    2013_Bride_ ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Already feels like a huge weight has been lifted so can only get better once that money is in our bank account! Smiley smile

• Rhys Parker
    Rhys Parker ·
    • Hide content

Delete

• 2013_Bride_
    Beginner August 2013
    2013_Bride_ ·
    • Hide content

Thats very true Rhys.

Guess I was worrying that she might send them then 1 goes through and the rest bounce or something!

It will have to do and thanks for the heads up on the cheques and when we can cash them.

• Simon and Alison
    Beginner
    Simon and Alison ·
    • Hide content

Great news that she's agreed to refund you all the money - bet you're so relieved ? Hope your meeting goes well tomorrow

• 2013_Bride_
    Beginner August 2013
    2013_Bride_ ·
    • Hide content

Do feel relief but will feel better still once all the cheques are cashed :-)

Thanks. Super excited about that! I now realise its not normal to be worried that you TOG isn't going to put their all into your wedding.

My poor experience with cancelled TOG made me feel like they would be rubbish on the day and miss lots of good shots etc! It's nice to know that's not a normal feeling and I know when we book someone else I will completely trust them and therefor not worry about them doing their job properly!

• Rhys Parker
    Rhys Parker ·
    • Hide content

Delete

• 2013_Bride_
    Beginner August 2013
    2013_Bride_ ·
    • Hide content

Rhys, I think I've sent you a PM with it.

I say think as it seems to have sent but you never know .... usually it doesn't even work for me!

• Rochelle (Make up HIB)
    Rochelle (Make up HIB) ·
    • Hide content

Just want you to be aware that if any of the cheques should not clear, then you can issue a claim straight away and she won't be able to defend it. A cheque is a separate contract and there is no defence in law to a cancelled cheque.

Re your point about her spending the deposit. I personally don't save deposits until the wedding has passed. Obviously the wedding industry is seasonal and I try and spread my income through the year. For example, I hardly do any work in January as that's when I like to take a break but it's also the time when bookings come flooding in after Christmas, so I am able to live off the deposits that come in. If I put them away until the actual wedding, I wouldn't have any money in January. A lot of suppliers I know do the same so don't be too hard on her for having spent your deposit.

Hope that makes sense, it's been a long day Smiley winking

• Rhys Parker
    Rhys Parker ·
    • Hide content

Delete

• 2013_Bride_
    Beginner August 2013
    2013_Bride_ ·
    • Hide content

Yay!! Awesome isn't he? If anything at all alarmed you let me know and I will grill them tomorrow! :-)

We can't get over how professional his pics etc look! How he is available I will never know!

• Rhys Parker
    Rhys Parker ·
    • Hide content

Delete

• 2013_Bride_
    Beginner August 2013
    2013_Bride_ ·
    • Hide content

Meeting went really well. He explained everything in great detail and showed us lots of sample. Really pleased with his work and pretty sure we are going to be booking.

I feel really confident that he will capture some lovely images from our day. What a relief. Despite this saga, I've decided its all fate! We were meant to have our new TOG!

• porkchop
    Beginner September 2012
    porkchop ·
    • Hide content

One point you may have overlooked, the last friday of this month is good friday, so a bank holiday, means you cant actually bank the check until Tuesday with monday being a holiday as well.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ahh yes I was going to mention this then forgot!

• 2013_Bride_
    Beginner August 2013
    2013_Bride_ ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for pointing that out. Its not the end of the world really, as long as the cheques all cash then I'll be happy! Smiley smile We are quite lucky in that most of our suppliers need paid for June+ so can survive without it for now.

• 2013_Bride_
    Beginner August 2013
    2013_Bride_ ·
    • Hide content

Cheques not received, and guess what? TOG is once again ignoring me!!!!

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Do you know where she lives? I'd be going round.

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Me and kharvo will sort her out. Proper hard biatches.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Damn straight.

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

From a quick read through, sorry, haven't read the whole of this thread from start to finish, but was the £700plus the total amount for the order or the deposit? If it was the whole amount, then this should really have been kept on one side to pay for any expenses incurred for your booking. I can understand businesses using deposits as cash flow but payment up front for the order is something different and needs to be kept on one side for that particular customer when needed.

If she is sending out post dated cheques, then it sounds as if she is in financial difficulty. Did you pay by credit card by any chance? If so, I would contact your card supplier and explain the situation to them. I would also get in touch with your local Trading Standards Office who will advise you on the best way of dealing with your case. They are really helpful and may contact her on your behalf by paying her a visit.

Hope you manage to get your money back. It really,really annoys me when I hear stories like this about suppliers.

• 2013_Bride_
    Beginner August 2013
    2013_Bride_ ·
    • Hide content

I know where she says she lives... it was on our contract... but whether she actually lives there is another story!!!!

Got two phone numbers for her, one is 'temporarily unavailable' and the other no answer.

She's not opening my messages on Facebook but I know she has been on there (I have friends who have seen her comment on others statuses etc).

I'm kicking myself as I again trusted her and believed she would send the cheques. I never sent the abrupt message I sent by e-mail by post as well, but I will be tomorrow now!

I know who her Mum is on Facebook and I'm debating whether to message her and ask her to get her daughter to contact me.

Also going to ask my BM to put a message on her personal account wall asking her to contact me!

• 2013_Bride_
    Beginner August 2013
    2013_Bride_ ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Rainbow. We paid by bank transfer. Will try Local Trading Standard.

She lives an hour away from us, I will try and go there myself if it comes to it.

So glad I cancelled, she is just enforcing how unprofessional she is in my eyes.

• 2013_Bride_
    Beginner August 2013
    2013_Bride_ ·
    • Hide content

And she obviously has 'approve' settings on her Facebook group pages, 1 I can't post on and the other I've sent 'get in touch please' and its not on the page so its obviously just gone to her for approval. Wonder why that is needed...

• Dream Wedding Video
    Dream Wedding Video ·
    • Hide content

Hey honey. I'm am so sorry to here this sorry tale. You must be so unbelievably upset. If we can help in any way let us know and I mean anything, I really hate stuff like this. Enter our competition so win a a free full day photo package. All our latest stuff is on facebook. Your lucks got to change sooner or later.

• Simon and Alison
    Beginner
    Simon and Alison ·
    • Hide content

☹️ What a nightmare! So disappointed to hear that she hasn't sent the cheques to you, bet it just enforces your thoughts that you were right to cancel. Is she registered with any photographic societies or anything? It might say so on her website, I'd have a look but I can't for the life of me remember her name! If she is, then it might be worth contacting them to advise them of the situation and see if they can help at all.

• M
    Beginner March 2014
    Mary C to be K ·
    • Hide content

I think you have probably had a lucky escape! Even if you don't get the money back from her that's not as bad as her not turning up on the day or never delivering your photos.

I know you said before that you know people who know her family so maybe now's the time to get in touch with them. Plus of course starting all the legal processes and sending her the relevant paperwork.

• 2013_Bride_
    Beginner August 2013
    2013_Bride_ ·
    • Hide content

Thanks all.

I have asked BM to leave a message on her wall and I am about to contact her Mum.

What is she playing at? Why say she would refund in first place?!

• Simon and Alison
    Beginner
    Simon and Alison ·
    • Hide content

I'd suspect she's having financial troubles and has realised she doesn't have the money yet perhaps. Still not right for her to promise you the cheques and not send them to you. I think you're doing the right thing in trying to contact her however you can - I'd be doing the same in your shoes. Let us know how you get on, and if you need a fellow photographer to get in touch with her too let me know.....!

• M
    Beginner July 2012
    maxinegallie ·
    • Hide content

Oh no 2013 bride, you must be so angry and upset by her behaviour. I am so pleased you have a better TOG, but it doesn't make the stress easier to deal with does it? I luckily had an issue with paying for goods that were then never delivered, and all communication was ignored, but as it wasn't much money I just left it, but that made me cross, so I can only imagine how you feel. It really doesn't take much for the person involved to just say sorry does it? We never had our wedding cake toppers and I'd have just liked to know why. But I think you are much better off with someone far more trustworthy, at least you know they will turn up and get you your photos, that as to be worth it in the end.

• tayto
    Beginner May 2013
    tayto ·
    • Hide content

2013_Bride_ you poor thing... my heart goes out to you. Wedding planning is stressful enough without having bad suppliers. If it was me, I'd be already at her house ready for an argument & not leave until the cash is in hand!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics