Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

Photographer - feeling a bit let down :-(

14 of August of 2013 at 12:39 Posted on Planning 0 19

A friend of mine of 15 years owns a very successful photography business so I approached her to see if she would cover our wedding. Initially she said yes and was very excited. I was happy as she fell well within our budget and I know her work is fantastic. She has now told me she cannot do our wedding and gave lots of different reasons such as moving, possibly going on holiday etc. I'm feeling a bit deflated as the other togs we had met were over priced and their portfolios were rubbish in comparison. I've no idea where to start looking now as I'd exhausted all other local togs within our budget. Ugh...

19 replies

Latest activity by clareio, 14 of August of 2013 at 20:17
  • adgabe
    adgabe ·
    • Hide content

Miss M almost Mrs M

Sorry to hear about your disappointment. I am sure it is quite distressing.

I cannot comment on your photographer's decision, but I would say that if you have exhausted your search of all local photographers on price and style, why not look a bit further afield? As it is often said here, many photographers will travel.

Don't despair! I am sure you will find a replacement!

Andrea de Gabriel

• Chris Giles Photography
    Chris Giles Photography ·
    • Hide content

Loosely related to this, I stopped shooting for friends and family recently. Not because of the money but because it's harder to 'control' the crowd.

When you are a new face people tend to be more responsive to requests and are less likely to get heckled. This and other things ends up reducing the overall quality and image number. So I stepped away. I know loads of people in the wedding industry but I'm not using any as suppliers for our wedding.

As suggested already, search further afield and you should find someone. It's good advice Smiley smile

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

Oh gosh, I'm sorry you are having to go on the hunt for a Photographer now, especially as you thought a friend would be shooting it. Could she have possibly been nervous about it?

You will find one you love no problem, I'm sure and we can help.

Perhaps share your budget/style requirements with us and we can make suggestions?

• mariannechuaphotography
    mariannechuaphotography ·
    • Hide content

Aww sorry to hear that, one thing I'd say is expand your search beyond local togs, most will travel quite far nowadays, so you might be more likely to find one you like further afield. Hope that helps!

• (Claire)
    Beginner July 2011
    (Claire) ·
    • Hide content

I couldn't recommend my TOG enough. Jason Baughan - He was Leeds based. Have a look at his website.

http://www.baughanphotography.co.uk/

• MissKB
    Beginner June 2014
    MissKB ·
    • Hide content

Oh no! That is really disappointing Smiley sad

Have you asked your friend whether she can recommend any one who might just fall into your budget? If she has run a business for so long she is bound to know other photographers who work similarly to her, and they may even discount their rates if you approach them after being recommended?

• J
    Beginner June 2013
    jdas13 ·
    • Hide content

Hi

I agree worth looking further afield the photographer we used was excellent so happy with everything he did before & on the day, our album is beautiful just what we wanted. He is based in Tamworth, Staffs but is willing to travel most places in the UK for a very reasonable fee (covering hotel & petrol etc) and will also post photo's etc after the wedding. Even adding on costs to his package price he's very reasonable. Our wedding should be on real weddings really soon with our photographs

www.davejoicey.co.uk

Good Luck with your search for a new photographer I know how stressful wedding planning can be. If you want to know any more feel free to contact me

• Hide content
    View quoted message

First post of an "OM" ^ anyone else thinking ?

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

Sorry your going through this ☹️

I think Marianne on here charges about that but it might not be the case for next year. Hopefully she can confirm.

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content

From your 1st post I had a feeling what (may) be going on, and now you have said the price im sure that is not the normal price for her, I know that this goes on and am just putting it out there, not saying this is the case here as I do not know, (think ive covered myself enough ) but it could be she has now got a full price booking instead and £400 was fine when she had nothing but now she has. Sorry I was no help was I !.

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Bless you Bill, this made me chuckle. Definitely covered yourself enough ?

Is she still attending your wedding as a friend?

• O
    Beginner September 2014
    owlalice ·
    • Hide content

It might also be worthwhile (if you haven't done this already) contacting other photographers, who may not fall within your budget on their website, but might be willing to put together a price list based on your specifications.

I nearly disregarded a supplier due to the price on their site, but thought it wouldn't hurt to email, and got three different options, all 3 of which were within budget! Smiley laugh

• Hide content

Ahh noo DW times have a-changed for me! I moved out of the budget region pretty fast once I realised my worth!

• M
    Beginner March 2014
    Marmite27 ·
    • Hide content

Fin at this link http://photofin.co.uk/ is doing our photos.

His work is amazing, and he's a really nice guy. We know him though work, and he's the only Tog my OH would consider. Other people from work have used him, not just for weddings but photo shoots etc and all been really pleased.

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yay and rightly so! I remember you saying something about it but couldn't remember how much!

• *MM3*
    Beginner June 2014
    *MM3* ·
    • Hide content

We had some job looking for a tog and I looked at so many my head hurt and they all started to seem the same, took a few days break and came back to it and luckily found our perfect togs, i'm sure you'll do the same and find the ones within your budget with great work! Smiley smile

• C
    Beginner November 2013
    clareio ·
    • Hide content

In terms of Leeds we found two we liked

For the good times photography - brilliant for price

Rollings photography - We are having him and we were willing to pay the extra for a studio area to get some studio style shots on the day, this is largely because the venue is stunning but we are limited by weather for outside space so it would be nice to be able to get some pictures on a plain backdrop rather than only what the inside of the venue offers - also thought it was fab for family members that don't necessarily get to see each other very often to get pictures taken together. We were willing to stretch our budget from what we initially wanted to spend but so far, its worth it.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics