Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sara
Curious August 2022 Surrey

Photographer problem

Sara, 27 of May of 2022 at 15:22 Posted on Planning 0 9

Hello there Smiley smile

Looking for some advice if possible, based on peoples experiences working with (or as) wedding photographers! I've made a bit of an error I think, when booking my photographer. I loved her images on her website because she is great at candid shots and all her pictures look really natural and lovely. However, what I didn't notice or realise is that she uses a yellow / gold / vintage grading style on all of her pictures. When we met her, we described our bright, colourful wedding to her and showed her pictures with colours popping out, enhanced and vibrant. It was only when I followed her on Insta that I realised that all of her photos are in this vintage, somewhat subdued tone. Not at all what we want.

I raised this with her in a really gentle way as best I could and sent her some examples of photos I like. She edited them in "her style" which basically sucked all of the colour (blusher on cheeks, flowers etc) out of them. I'm really worried.

To mitigate the issue I said I was worried, but perhaps if we could have the raw files, we have the option of using a treated or untreated version as we wish, but she said she is not willing to share those with us.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where we go from here? I don't want to fall out with her, lose our deposit, OR end up with golden photos that dull down all our colourful decorations and flowers.

Any thoughts?

Ps. I do feel if we had to cancel, I would be within my rights to ask for the deposit back, as we clearly described what we were looking for. But still, i'd like to avoid a conflict if I can.

Thanks in advance xx

9 replies

Latest activity by Curtisgem, 17 of June of 2022 at 06:11
  • PhotographybyBillHaddon
    Super January 3000 Leicestershire
    PhotographybyBillHaddon ·
    • Hide content

I know the effect that your are referring to and I could not imagine a whole wedding being delivered like that. Wedding colours are one of the most considered aspects when planning. I go to great lengths to ensure natural life like colours- investing in a very expensive monitor in a bespoke built editing suite.

My processing starts with the raw fife straight from the camera then retouching backgrounds ect and colour contrast for skin tone and dress detail. Then there are some images that I know will look good in black and white so I do that but also may do some extra artistic editing on the black and white version BUT I will always also supply the colour version too.

Its very unlikely that the images come out of the camera looking yellow dull/flat so the normal flow would be to get the camera raw files - do all the contrast - brightness editing and then run them through an automated process that creates the vintage look.

It's when couples ask for the raw files that photographers get jumpy because they will be totally unedited straight out of the camera and not actually very good in some cases. With your shooter there must be a moment when everything is done apart from a press of a keyboard to create the look and its those that you want and not the RAW files.

I am surprised that you did not notice the style when booking, but returning the deposit you may be covered by distance selling giving you 15 days to cancel.

• Sara
    Sara ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks so much for your thoughtful response Bill - this is so helpful! It's not so much that I didn't notice her style, but I didn't realise this was the only style on offer and that having photos that held onto the colours were not an option. Like you say, it seems strange to me that the whole wedding would be in that style and not just some (IE sunset shots would be lovely!). I'm going to ask as you say, for the retouched shots without the golden look, and see what she says. Thanks so much again! Sara
    • Hide content

Ah I see, I think you are perfectly entitled to of assumed that you would not be receiving every image processed in that way.

How long has it been since you paid the deposit and when is the wedding booked for.

• Sara
    Sara ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi Bill - it's been quite a while since we paid the deposit - two months maybe? It was only when I started following her on Instagram that I noticed all her photos were with this tint and I got a ⛳. Wedding is 27 August this year.. not long at all 😬
    • Hide content
    Ah - tricky one, apart from receiving any refund one of the main problems is that you will find it very difficult to find a replacement for the busiest weekend of the year at such short notice.
    They may be feeling a little peeved that you are "disrespecting" their artistic style - like asking Picasso - "can you also do me one --er not so abstract"Go down the route - you love the look but would also like a standard version especially for parents and grand parents.
    • Hide content

A little advice, I would remove that image because it is another photographers image and your photographer has has doctored it with an editing style of her own and now it is out on the web for the original photographer to see and they will not be happy with what the other has done to their image.

• Sara
    Sara ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Good point, silly me. I can't see how to delete it - but i'll escalate this to mods and hopefully they can help

• R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

If you're worried about offending her by asking her to alter her style, maybe you could pitch it as 'please can we have some of the photos done in the more traditional way as this is what our older family members will like'. Hopefully, by presenting it as a 'we love your style but you know how the older generation is...' she will be more willing to provide some traditional images alongside her preferred style, since it will come across more as you wanting to keep the old folk happy than criticising the way she edits?

• Sara
    Sara ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    This is a really good shout. Thank you 😊

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics