Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Dedicated October 2022 Surrey

Photographer red flags?

Lisa, 7 of January of 2022 at 20:18 Posted on Planning 0 18
We're having a very small wedding & I found a photographer who does a ceremony only package that covers arrival, ceremony & some couple/family/group shots after which is perfect for our needs....but.....

He's confirmed he is available on our date, said he'll put us in the diary & call me about a month before to nail down the fine details. I emailed him back to ask about payment of the deposit 2 days ago & haven't had a response.
Am I being super paranoid? I'm feeling wary of a supplier not requesting a deposit to book their services & suspicious that the reason for not taking a deposit is so that he can easily bump me if he gets a better (all day) booking for the same date. Even if he genuinely doesn't bother with deposits not responding to a business email for 2 working days makes me feel nervous about what could happen nearer to the time when it would be harder to find a replacement.

18 replies

Latest activity by Kim, 11 of January of 2022 at 14:43
  • S
    Dedicated March 2022 Hampshire
    Samantha ·
    • Hide content
    I have the same issue with my bridal hair stylist, I booked her months ago paid the deposit she never confirmed deposit was received and then a few days ago I asked when’s a good time for her to do my trial and nothing I’m getting really nervous now as my weddings less than 3 months away 🤦🏼‍♀️
  • L
    Lisa ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I'm nervous for you! I hope you get a response soon & it all goes smoothly 🤞
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

Our photographer was equally laid back about deposits, but turned up on the day and did a great job.

He may be super busy at the moment, so I'd give him another day or two leeway. If you don't hear then, it might be worth giving him a call. If he took time off over Christmas, he may have a LOT of emails to work through and yours might have got lost in the crowd - I'm still in touch with the photographers who did our wedding and the one who does the admin side said she had a ton of emails come in over Christmas and is going crazy trying to respond to them all.

• L
    Lisa ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    This makes me a bit calmer, thank you. I guess it's just ingrained that when it comes to weddings nothing is guaranteed until you've paid them handsomely lol I'd probably not be worried about an email taking few days if I'd paid them.
  • S
    Samantha ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I have decided to get a new hair stylist, my weddings 11 weeks away and I can’t take the risk of her not showing or leaving it any longer, I got very lucky with a hair stylist who had just cancelled something that weekend so was suddenly available, hair trials booked in deposits paid and communication has been great so far 🙏🏻
  • L
    Lisa ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    What a relief! You've reminded me I need to look in to this. The girl who does my brow tattoos also does 50s style hair & makeup, I need to see if she's available.
  • S
    Samantha ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Definitely get booked in as soon as you can, hopefully she’s available for you even better that you already know her too!
  • PhotographybyBillHaddon
    Super January 3000 Leicestershire
    PhotographybyBillHaddon ·
    • Hide content

"I'm feeling wary of a supplier not requesting a deposit to book their services & suspicious that the reason for not taking a deposit is so that he can easily bump me if he gets a better (all day) booking for the same date."

Unfortunately this kind of practice does go on. But even if they took a deposit they could just return it saying they can no longer shoot the wedding.

How much are they charging because what some will do is pay someone else to shoot yours for them while they shoot the big one.

If they are a full time pro then they are less likely to do the above kind of thing because they have a reputation to keep. When I am asked for a ceremony only coverage I price it at a figure that I am comfortable with knowing I will possibly be turning away a full day package but that usually ends up being a figure out of peoples budget expectations -- BUT I will turn up !

If the wedding is in a couple of months and out of season then I can shoot it for much less because I am confident that I will not be turning away a booking.

Emails - do they have a proper email connected to their website or is it a Hotmail / gmail one as it could be sitting in their junk box. And 2 days is not that long really for them to respond, try sending another one asking if they actually saw the last one as you are keen to confirm.

• L
    Lisa ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you for your input. The charge is £200 for up to 2 hours, realistically we will only be there for 1.25 hours from arrival to the max time allowed for photos. The email address is a 'proper' business email which I found reassuring. It is late October so out of high season.

I wouldnt normally be concerned about a few days for a response to an email, I just wondered if it was unusual when it comes to asking about payment. It seems the norm with weddings that payment I usually the first concern.
    It's probably all fine & I'm just being nervous!
    • Hide content

I just wondered if it was unusual when it comes to asking about payment. It seems the norm with weddings that payment I usually the first concern.

Maybe as any deposit would be very small on £200, - give them a nudge, I am not sure but I think insurance companies will need evidence of a contract and paid deposit in the event of a claim.

From what you say I don't see too much to worry about although £200 is an extremely good offer, October is still quite busy especially at the end as its half term.

• L
    Lisa ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you for your advice 😊
  • S
    Samantha ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    The first hairdresser has just responded and I don’t know what to say to her now 🤦🏼‍♀️ Her communication has always been rubbish to say the least so I definitely still want to cancel her but don’t know how to tell her now 🤦🏼‍♀️ Any ideas?
  • L
    Lisa ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I would be really honest & say that the length of time I took to respond made you nervous & that you've engaged another supplier but I very much doubt you could expect a return on the deposit. What a pickle of a situation! Brides tend to be nervous so even a standard response of 'I have your enquiry, I'll get back to you as soon as possible' would be helpful in most cases. Let us know how it goes x
  • Kim
    Dedicated August 2022 West Yorkshire
    Kim ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    My photographer has told me to pay him on the day of the wedding is this normal do u think ur post has made me start to feel a bit paranoid now lol xx
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I have to say it is not normal for a professional photographer to do it that way. Do you have a contract, have you paid a deposit.

• Kim
    Kim ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    No he said he is not taking deposits as cos of covid he had so many people asking for them back and to just pay him on the day and only charging £40 an hour to.
  • L
    Lisa ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I'm sorry! I didnt want to start worrying people x
  • Kim
    Kim ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Lisa dont worry about it it is sounding a bit to good to be true i might look into someone else xx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics